British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-10-10, 12:52 PM

Default Mystery wings

This set of wings belonged to a Sgt Observer who was killed whilst flying in the Second World War.
He trained in Canada before returning to the UK for service in Coastal Command.

Below are his Observer's wings- one from his uniform the other one was a 'spare'

But what is the top set of wings for?

Anyone any ideas?

In the RCAF the NB stands for Navigator-Bomb aimer - but that was on a half wing.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img001.jpg (24.2 KB, 128 views)
Old 18-10-10, 01:44 PM

Default RAF Wings

There were two Elementary Flying Training Schools in New Brunswick. Possibly a civilian instructors wing from there?

Postwarden
Old 18-10-10, 02:56 PM
Banned

There are numerous examples of 'converted' wings being worn, in some cases, especially on the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP) and similar in South Africa, Rhodesia and Australia, where course wings had not been made ready. I have a South African 'AP (Air Photographer) wing, and have also seen photos of another worn by an RAF airman outthere who converted a standard RAF wing to AP, and wore it until told to take it down and replace it with an 'O' wing.

The 'FE' (Flight Engineer), 'AE' (Aero Engineer) and 'WAG' (Wireless Air Gunner) wings were all worn in the RAF, but none were authorised, the authorities simply turned a blind eye.

Its debatable if the double wing was actually worn, but I have seen other examples of double crew wings won, including an 'AG' in the RCAF.
Old 19-10-10, 01:01 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks to you both for your suggestions.

There is no sign of the NB wings having been sewn on to a uniform.
There is also no photographic evidence of them being worn. Only photo of him in uniform, is of him wearing a greatcoat- so no insignia visable.

So we must assume they were 'presentation wings' handed out at the end of the training course in Canada. Keepsakes not for wearing.

Thanks again,
Alan.
Old 21-10-10, 01:34 AM

My Theory is that these were custom made to the owner's specifications after he graduated from his course in Canada as a trainee under the BCATP.....in 1943 the "Great Wing Debate" saw the possibility of Canadians being allowed to wear double winged aircrew brevets. It was eventually deined but many kit shops made these wings....I have a Double Winged WAG for example. This piece looks like it could have been ordered by the airman, as the NB is the Canadian Designation of Navigator "B" which replaced the Observer classification.
Could you give us better photos? I'd love to see it up close....the back as well
Cheers
Mike
Old 23-10-10, 12:39 PM

Default New Photos

Hi RCAF Mike,
I shall attempt to get some more photos of front & back of the NB wings.

The wings are not mine. They belong to the sister of the Sgt who was killed during the Second World War. She was trying to find out more about the items she has got. So it may take a bit of time to organise things.

Alan.
Old 26-10-10, 02:34 PM

Default Better photos

New & better photos of the NB wing as requested.

Alan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NB wing 008.jpg (47.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg NB wing 006.jpg (40.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 26-10-10, 10:17 PM

Absolutely Gorgeous, Thank you very much for the additional photos. It's definitely unique, but looks very similar in construction to my WAG.