British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-07-10, 10:24 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default Uniforms

Hi gents,

Is it possible that there may be another member on the forum who joined the Junior Leaders ( I think we were referred to as ' boy soldiers ' ), May 1960 intake at Plumer Barracks, Plymouth,

After the six week initial training, the passing out parade was followed by a move to Wingate Lines, Oswestry, where we shared the Barracks with the Royal Artillary, also boy soldiers I think !!

If not, does anyone know how I could clarify the uniforms we wore at that time......................thanks in advance.

Dave.
Old 14-07-10, 04:29 AM

DAVE, I was a Royal Engineer "boy soldier" when I joined in Aug 1969 and went to Old Park Barracks Dover. We wore Battle dress as "Best" until senior term when we went to the talior to be fitted for No 2 Dress. Works dress was the old denim trousers and jackets and hairy shirts with the thin jumper.We never got the brown wooly pully. We also had the old olive drab combat suit. Boots ammo with 12 studs no DMS boot until later.
Once we got to "mans service" we were then kitted out with the latest fashion in army clothes.
Hope this helps

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)

Last edited by engr9266; 14-07-10 at 05:07 AM.
Old 14-07-10, 09:17 AM

Hi Jerry,

To a degree, it does, 50 years on and my memory struggles sometimes but while talking to a friend, the the cap I wore became an issue, only a small one but I want to know in my own mind that I am right ?

I am certain that we were issued with denims and BD's for daily wear and No2's for parades and I think, walking out........the issue was raised that I would not have had a service ( N02 ), dress cap in 1960.

I can distinctly remember altering the peak to a sharper angle ( like the guards ) and brushing the top in a circle, with soapy water and another alteration we did was to break a tooth-brush in half and force it inside, behind the cap badge to straighten the front.

The other thing of course ( this was discussed not long ago, re berets ), was that as soon as we were given our berets we were in the wash block dipping them first in hot water and then in cold to shrink them prior to shaping them.

Can anyone else confirm that I am right about wearing this cap back in 1960 ??? or tell me how to find out what was worn and when ???

Dave.
Old 14-07-10, 09:38 AM
LYPAO Boff

Hi Dave

A bit off the subject..... but along the same lines. As a very young cadet I was taught by my father to "boil" my Beret...... then plunge into cold water and then wear it and shape it until dry. Once this was done ... take a stiff boot brush and brush the top of the Beret into a clockwise circle

Later years..... in our "Cow Pat" Infantry berets. We cut the lining out and boiled etc and went for the "Para" look. And when we got our Blue Corps Berets we swept them backwards (RAC Style....like the QDGs). With our "Patch" badges...... we cut a square piece of TupperWare plastic and this was sewn in behind the badge to make it stand out.

On "Mounted" courses (Windsor & St Johns Wood)...... our caps (RHA Style) were "Bow Strung". This involved sewing a strong cotton string into the top front of the cap to make the cap badge stick out..... with the added effect of briging the peak down onto the bridge of the nose.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 14-07-10, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Hi Jerry,

To a degree, it does, 50 years on and my memory struggles sometimes but while talking to a friend, the the cap I wore became an issue, only a small one but I want to know in my own mind that I am right ?

I am certain that we were issued with denims and BD's for daily wear and No2's for parades and I think, walking out........the issue was raised that I would not have had a service ( N02 ), dress cap in 1960.

I can distinctly remember altering the peak to a sharper angle ( like the guards ) and brushing the top in a circle, with soapy water and another alteration we did was to break a tooth-brush in half and force it inside, behind the cap badge to straighten the front.

The other thing of course ( this was discussed not long ago, re berets ), was that as soon as we were given our berets we were in the wash block dipping them first in hot water and then in cold to shrink them prior to shaping them.

Can anyone else confirm that I am right about wearing this cap back in 1960 ??? or tell me how to find out what was worn and when ???

Dave.
DAVE, Yes I remember doing the same with my beret and we tried to pull it down both sides into a "tankie" style(so radio headphones could be worn on both ears) and the SSM giving us grief for doing this.
We were issued the Hat, No 2 for wear with the BD when on parade and for walking out and also for wear when doing drill on the square. The days when you could go out in uniform witout problems. Spent many a hour shining the peak and getting the circle on the top right.
Memories of a start to a long career of 24years with the colours(which the RE didn't have)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 14-07-10, 01:05 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Hi gents,

Is it possible that there may be another member on the forum who joined the Junior Leaders ( I think we were referred to as ' boy soldiers ' ), May 1960 intake at Plumer Barracks, Plymouth,

After the six week initial training, the passing out parade was followed by a move to Wingate Lines, Oswestry, where we shared the Barracks with the Royal Artillary, also boy soldiers I think !!

If not, does anyone know how I could clarify the uniforms we wore at that time......................thanks in advance.

Dave.
Dave,
We had (in 63) standard BD, webbing etc, 2 piece overalls, some even still wore 'frock type/collarless BD tops - which, like the wollen shirt, were very uncomfortable. Best dress was what is now referred to as No2 dress frock jacket - big side pockets (to wear with a shirt and tie).
No embellishments on this of any sort on this other than 'stripes', were a band member or had a marksmanship badge - unlikely, but there was one guy who wore one.
The BD had cloth titles and the same sleeve badges. I don't believe that we even wore metal shoulder titles then.
Sorry, I have no photos with me but my Mum has one somewhere.....
Old 14-07-10, 01:52 PM

Hi David,

Both Jerry and yourself are getting closer to what I can remember, I definitely wore the No2 dress uniform, large side pockets and a waist belt ( I can't remember what belt I wore ), the bone of contention, so to speak, was the cap to go with the N02 dress uniform.

For those unsure of what I'm trying to sort out, around the ages of ten to fifteen, I had the sort of childhood that would not be tolerated today and I have successfully blocked a lot of what went on, now I want to remember, it gets difficult.

As a small example, I actually passed all the exams as a 14year old, to join the training ship ' Arethusa ' on the R. Medway but when my father found out that he had to pay, I was shoved into the Army, it was free !!

No violins please ??

Dave.
Old 14-07-10, 02:13 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Hi David,

Both Jerry and yourself are getting closer to what I can remember, I definitely wore the No2 dress uniform, large side pockets and a waist belt ( I can't remember what belt I wore ), the bone of contention, so to speak, was the cap to go with the N02 dress uniform.

For those unsure of what I'm trying to sort out, around the ages of ten to fifteen, I had the sort of childhood that would not be tolerated today and I have successfully blocked a lot of what went on, now I want to remember, it gets difficult.

As a small example, I actually passed all the exams as a 14year old, to join the training ship ' Arethusa ' on the R. Medway but when my father found out that he had to pay, I was shoved into the Army, it was free !!

No violins please ??

Dave.
Dave,
No2 dress for 'walking out' was a plain belt - same colour as the uniform. No2 dress for 'parade' - apart from 'best boots'... was a whitened belt.
The cap was a standard peaked cap - with a slightly 'slashed' peak.... It had a black chinstrap.
Old 14-07-10, 02:29 PM

Quote:
We wore Battle dress as "Best" until senior term when we went to the talior to be fitted for No 2 Dress. Works dress was the old denim trousers and jackets and hairy shirts with the thin jumper.We never got the brown wooly pully. We also had the old olive drab combat suit. Boots ammo with 12 studs no DMS boot until later.
Jerry. Only 12 studs? At AAS Arborfield 1962 - 64 we had 17, 2 at the toe, 1 row of 3 and then 3 rows of 4. I know, I hammered them in often enough!
I suppose dress at all the 'boy' establishments varied, but at Arborfield when I joined we were issued with the 2 piece denims, with loads of ring type buttons to change every laundry day. There was no measurement for these and we had to 'box' them off by sewing pleats in. This was until we were measured up for SD.
My intake was the first to be issued with the open collar SD (pic 2), previous to that the high collar was issued (pic 1). I remember the SD hat or 'cheese cutter' we called it, as it gave you a blinding headache! This issue didn't last long and I think by the end of 1963 the whole school had been issued with No. 2's.
We were also issued with BD, but this wasn't worn very often, mainly when on duty, fire picket etc. (pic 3).
Working dress as seen in pic 4 was beret, shirt KF with tie, the thin woolen jumper tucked into SD trousers and stable belt. I still have that belt, but it now only goes half way around my expanding midriff!
We also had the all olive drab combat kit for military training.
Happy days!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 SD high collar.jpg (17.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 2 SD open collar 1.jpg (38.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg BD.jpg (40.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Working Dress.jpg (84.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 14-07-10, 03:29 PM

Default boy soldiers

Hi Dave i was at Plymouth in Feb 58 we had button to the neck SD with cap we all did with it what has been said even shaving some of the fluff off to get a better finish needless to say thay would have a purge now and again a new hat was 1/3 of my wages only 15s a week i know a shirt cost 19/6 i had to buy one some $£%^& thought we would look good in gray slacks and blazer we had to pay Col Mann Middelsex was the CO busted me for drinking underage i certainly remenber fixing the buttons and rings cheated used a lace happy days chris
Old 14-07-10, 09:28 PM

Well gentlemen,

I guess we can put this one to bed......................I think,

David,

I certainly remember having to Blanco our belts and bayonet frogs, so the white kit works for me, as does the ' walking out ' dress.

John,

Your photo's also hit the mark, particularly photo's 2 and 3, I'm sure we wore ties and when we wore the BD's we used 9mm rounds wrapped in 4 x 2 to hold the trouser legs neatly over our gaiters, strange the little snippets that do come to mind, do you know, I couldn't tell you how many studs we had in our boots though !!

Chris,

Plymouth, apart from the fact that I was there briefly, is a blur, Princess Street was out of bounds if I remember correctly, not that I know why, in fact, I don't really know if it's part of the same time line ??

I do remember the first passing out parade after six weeks, we marched to the Royal Marines Band and I've always loved Military music ever since, after that, all I can remember is travelling to Oswestry in the back of a 3 tonner, that was some trip, I can tell you.

There you go gents, thanks very much for all your input and of course, memories, all we need now is for my friend to read all this and he will agree that I was right about which cap I wore back in 1960, again thanks

Dave.
Old 15-07-10, 01:09 PM

Default boy soldiers

Hi Dave i think you mean Union St tattoo par Kn shops pubs and lots of trouble i went up to ows by train marched to the camp got my bd in last term winter of 60 wore it on the passing out parade only to swap it for kd at the end of jan then swap it again one year later for jg swap again for bd april 62 then swap again for sd coller studs etc aw well must have liked it stayed for 24 years chris
Old 15-07-10, 01:34 PM

Hi Chris,

I thought it was Princess St., wasn't that where the ladies of the night hung out ?? or am I thinking of somewhere else and another time in my topsy turvy life ??

As for my service, well, I'm ashamed to say that I never made it to my Regiment................I just could not take orders from more than one person at a time, so I worked my ticket !!! on the up side, if I had of stayed in, I wouldn't have my family and my kids and grandaughters make up for all the hardship suffered in the past, hey ho, here I go !!

Dave.
Old 25-07-10, 10:20 PM

We still wearing those BD trousers in early 70', used to shave the inside of the bloody trousers to try and get some relief from scratching yourself to death.
Tried to cheat with the boots by using a liquid floor polish that was supposed to dry with a hard shell, it did, but it never said on the tin ‘when wet turns blue’ much to the annoyance of the RSM.
White washing that bloody belt and then having to get the brass slides back on was another horror story.
Old 26-08-11, 05:19 PM

Default Ammo Boot Studs!

Hi all,
I was interested to read about the different number of studs used on Ammo Boots, prompting me to count how many are in a pair of boots I have.
Twenty this beats 12 and 17. Boots are dated 1955.
Does anyone know of any other stud combinations?
Cheers Tony.

Last edited by tonyb; 18-05-12 at 07:11 PM.