British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-06-10, 03:19 PM

Default Regimental Ties

I hope this is the right place for this post. My reasoning is that these ties & blazer badges were also worn by the old soldiers who wore the old comrades lapel badges.

I have no connection with this business, and am not suggesting that people buy a tie, I thought that this link could serve as a quick reference guide:

http://www.stephenallenmenswear.co.u...ndex-army.html
Old 29-06-10, 06:16 PM

Default Ties

Nice new topic !

I have often wondered if there is any significance to the direction of the stripes on regimental ties. Some are striped from top left, to bottom right. Others are striped in the opposite direction.

Also, regarding the (fairly) recent trend to have ties showing a miniature cap-badge instead of stripes; Is this fashion 'approved' by the regimental associations, or is it something invented by the haberdashers?

Comments appreciated.
Old 29-06-10, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halkyard View Post
Nice new topic !

I have often wondered if there is any significance to the direction of the stripes on regimental ties. Some are striped from top left, to bottom right. Others are striped in the opposite direction.

Also, regarding the (fairly) recent trend to have ties showing a miniature cap-badge instead of stripes; Is this fashion 'approved' by the regimental associations, or is it something invented by the haberdashers?

Comments appreciated.
I wonder if this has come about with the amalgamation of regiments?? The bagdes being easier to include than a rainbow of colours? I quite like the chindt one, no one would know what it was in relation too

Tom
Old 29-06-10, 06:24 PM
Mr. Jackanory

The Royal Signals strpied tie has stripes that go in the opposite direction to the single green stripe on the motif tie. I personally wear the motif tie. At get togethers no one says owt.
Matti
Old 03-07-10, 01:04 PM

Location: I live in New Brighton on the Wirral, in the north West of England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halkyard View Post
Nice new topic !
Comments appreciated.
For what is worth, someone told me that British club and assoc ties slant from top right downwards, and American equivalents in the opposite direction.

The miniture cap badge thing is certainly contentious in the Household Division. The motto of the guards is "seven joined in one" and all regiments wear the same tie. The numerous 'cap badged' versions are officialy disapproved of, but widely worn.
Old 03-07-10, 07:18 PM

Default Ties

Hi John:
Thanks for the information. What you say about 'club and assoc.' ties may well be correct. I'm a member of a military club in Toronto and our tie follows what you suggest is the Brit format. However, regimental ties are clearly not governed by this rule as can be seen by a quick boo at the attachment page in the first post of this thread.

I am former RCOC and 'our' tie was always the same as the RAOC. I would usually buy a couple when visiting UK because of limited supply options in Canada. A few years back, the military tailors brought out the miniature hat badge and I thought my days of 'pinching' from a sister corps were over. but I need not have worried because the badge is so small that the title scroll is not definable and the badge is otherwise 'a la meme chose'.

Thanks again!