British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-06-10, 06:10 AM

Default Silver Military Brooches

I`ve put these on the forum to have some feedback.They are all silver,Hallmaked except 6th Hants.They are all top draw in terms of how they were made,Even better than a lot of hallmarked silver cap badges.The Norfolk by Gaunt even looks side cap?.Manythanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brooches 002.jpg (27.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg brooches 001.jpg (32.2 KB, 73 views)
Old 24-06-10, 01:22 PM

Monty,

Very nice, I have recently started to collect some Kings Liverpool sweethearts ( in a variety of metals and finishes ) having had a few through my hands and having let them go over the years.

Unfortunatly the value of these badges appears to be on the increase ( unless you happen to have a lot of them already and probably think the price increases are no bad thing )

I am sure like others you probably look occasionally on the" Regimental Brooches" web site ( part of the Bosleys set up ) to see what other people seem to be prepared to pay for such items.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 26-06-10, 11:27 PM

Default Sweethearts

Good quality sweetheart badges have made good money for a long time as have all good military badges, these seem to be still on the upward climb despite the "Austerity Budget". As people get less returns for investing money with deposit takers, they tend to invest in other items, not always knowing what they are buying. Good for dealers, bad for collectors . . !
Old 27-06-10, 12:27 PM

Default Silver Brooches

Yes some fair comments on the state of the hobby.If you are of a certain vintage you can remember the good old days.Mine were mid 1970s pennyfarthing street Salisbury,Alec`s.At that time You could pick these things up for next to nothing.They were off the radar in terms of People wanting them.I agree about the investor comments,Look on the bright side its hit the Medal collectors harder.One more thing worth saying on better Regimental brooches.To date I have not seen a high end fake.I`m sure we will all agree it has not done the badge side any favours.[Honest Alec If you are looking down on me you were a goodun].
Old 27-06-10, 03:49 PM

The MGC collar is a post-1919 Officer's collar badge in silver which had had a brooch fitting added. It is missing one lug. The cap badge was the same size, but tended to have blades.
Old 27-06-10, 04:04 PM

As with most types of militaria,it is the best quality items that will sell quickly and achieve the best prices and will prove to be the best " investments" over time, but I do wonder if perhaps it is the recent increase in interest in WW1 especially ,and family history in general, that is one of the main reasons for the increase in value/demand for sweethearts brooches.

I noticed today that a couple of dealers at Liverpool were asking over the odds for base metal or damaged sweethearts brooches which they have had in their stock for some considerable time.

Going a bit further,some dealers seem almost scared of selling items for a little less than their full market value ( whatever that is percieved to be ). I would have thought that it is better to make a small profit and turn your stock over quickly with a small profit and then move on, but what do I know !!
P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 27-06-10, 04:29 PM

Monty,

I really wouldn't use the "Regimental Broaches" web site as an indicator of market prices. Most of the broaches on that site are several times more expensive than they are at Militaria fairs. In fact I would say the prices are little short of scandalous. Still it's been around for several years so there must be people around who are prepared to buy them.

James
Old 27-06-10, 04:54 PM

Default Silver Brooches

Yet more really good/Useful comments.thanks for the advice on the MGC,I think what always sent me down a blind alley is the fact that its none voided below the crown,Manythanks SaffsYeo.On the well known brooch site, I agree the prices are to high.There is an argument for the gold ones.I will post a new thread with the Hants/Royal Sussex I have in my collection.These are very clever things.At the time of sale would have cost alot of money.Manythanks for your comments.Monty