British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-04-21, 04:54 PM
Anjoucollector's Avatar
Anjoucollector Anjoucollector is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Northwest France
Posts: 1,004
Default Badge witn open eye

Good afternoon,

this badge looks like Guard Armoured division one, but of modern manufacturing.
Is it simply a strange copy ?

Laurent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eye badge.jpg (90.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg eye badge reverse.jpg (57.0 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-04-21, 05:50 PM
grenadierguardsman's Avatar
grenadierguardsman grenadierguardsman is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 3,310
Default

An unofficial item perhaps ? The blue is wrong IMHO.
Andy
__________________
Leave to carry on Sir please.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-04-21, 07:20 AM
mike_vee's Avatar
mike_vee mike_vee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Uxbridge
Posts: 2,346
Default

There was a post (2014) about a possible lighter coloured variation :

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=38547

Another thing I found is that a lot of the military model makers sites (which are usually detail oriented) show the lighter shade of blue.

.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guards.jpg (45.7 KB, 27 views)
__________________
British Legion/Royal British Legion , Poppy/Remembrance/Commemorative.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted & Spares for sale/swap
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-04-21, 07:47 AM
leigh kitchen's Avatar
leigh kitchen leigh kitchen is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,293
Default

There is a GAD variation which is slightly larger than the one commonly found, embroidered on felt, the blue is brighter than the norm I think.
I've always understood it to be private purchase having originally been told this by a dealer who claimed one that he had came from a gents outfitters in Cambridge that closed down in the 80's or thereabouts.
I don't know what the badge in question is.

Edit: the more commonly found version of the GAD sign and the larger one of a brighter blue:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210402_141512~2.jpg (57.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 02-04-21 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Images added.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-04-21, 08:57 AM
Colin S Colin S is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 282
Default

Wasn’t this badge design used again by the 4th (Guards) Infantry Brigade in BAOR during the 1970s? I remember seeing a photo of it being worn on the ‘woolly pully’.

Not that I’m suggesting the badge which started this thread is from there....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-04-21, 09:12 AM
leigh kitchen's Avatar
leigh kitchen leigh kitchen is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,293
Default

The badge was used with the addition of "IV".
I think the basic GAD badge has been or is being used by a formation in more recent times.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-04-21, 10:04 AM
mike_vee's Avatar
mike_vee mike_vee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Uxbridge
Posts: 2,346
Default

Possibly a re-enactors patch based on "model makers" guide or other 'non-official' articles/items ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GAD.jpg (69.2 KB, 21 views)
__________________
British Legion/Royal British Legion , Poppy/Remembrance/Commemorative.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted & Spares for sale/swap
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-04-21, 11:04 AM
Ex Supt Clk RAOC Ex Supt Clk RAOC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Beverley, East Yorkshire
Posts: 125
Default

Colin, As Leigh points out in post No6 below the Guards Brigade in BAOR during the 1970s used the Ever Open Eye symbol with IV below. I served in the Bde HQ located in York Bks Munster from 1974 to 1977 but i have no recollection of the badge being worn on uniform. It was most certainly used on all 'headed' correspondence from the Bde.

The Bde was in fact from 1970 until its disbandment on 1 Oct 1977 entitled 4th Guards Armoured Brigade and it consisted of two Guards Battalions and two Armoured Regiments (as well of course supporting arms and services). On disbandment the two Armoured Regiments were 2RTR and 4RTR and the two Guards Battalions were 2 SG and 1 IG. The Brigade at that time was commanded by Brig H D A Langley (late LG) the only HCav Officer to command the Bde, all others were Foot Guards but there was never a WG Commander.

I remember sometime during my tour that 5 Innis DG handed over to 4 RTR who were collocated in York Bks with the Bde HQ and the HQ & Sig Sqn.

On disbandment the (peacetime) HQ was renamed HQ Munster Garrison whilst the tactical element which came under command of 2 Div was named Task Force Charlie.

I still have today a copy of the Brigade's Disbandment Parade Programme.
Whilst i have diverged from the original theme of this post I hope this is informative
Best Regards
Steve

Last edited by Ex Supt Clk RAOC; 02-04-21 at 02:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-04-21, 12:46 PM
grey_green_acorn's Avatar
grey_green_acorn grey_green_acorn is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 4,500
Default

This version was apparently worn by a Guards battalion (1SG?) in Afghanistan during 2013/2014. Probably worn on the helmet cover?

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guards Afghan hat.JPG (27.2 KB, 7 views)
__________________
"Manui dat cognitio vires - Knowledge gives strength to the arm"
"Better to know it but not need it than to need it and not know it!"
"Have more than thou showest, speak less than thou knowest."

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 02-04-21 at 12:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-04-21, 02:43 PM
Colin S Colin S is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Supt Clk RAOC View Post
Colin, As Leigh points out in post No6 below the Guards Brigade in BAOR during the 1970s used the Ever Open Eye symbol with IV below. I served in the Bde HQ located in York Bks Munster from 1974 to 1977 but i have no recollection of the badge being worn on uniform. It was most certainly used on all 'headed' correspondence from the Bde.

The Bde was in fact from 1970 until its disbandment on 1 Oct 1977 entitled 4th Guards Armoured Brigade and it consisted of two Guards Battalions and two Armoured Regiments (as well of course supporting arms and services). On disbandment the two Armoured Regiments were 2RTR and 4RTR and the two Guards Battalions were 2 SG and 1 IG. The Brigade at that time was commanded by Brig H D A Langley (late LG) the only HCav Officer to command the Bde, all others were Foot Guards but there was never a WG Commander.

I remember sometime during my tour that 5 Innis DG handed over to 4 RTR who were collocated in York Bks with the Bde HQ and the HQ & Sig Sqn.

On disbandment the (peacetime) HQ was renamed HQ Munster Garrison whilst the tactical element which came under command of 2 Div was named Task Force Charlie.

I still have today a copy of the Brigade's Disbandment Parade Programme.
Whilst i have diverged from the original theme of this post I hope this is informative
Best Regards
Steve
Thanks for some great information. Wish I could remember where exactly I saw the photo of it being worn, I think on a pullover but possibly on a smock, but I noticed it because of the WWII Guards Armoured Division connection. There were similar photos of the Desert Rats badge being worn on DPM at around the same time in BAOR. I said 1970s but could have been later in the 1980s. Another mystery which other people may be able to solve.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-04-21, 03:29 PM
grenadierguardsman's Avatar
grenadierguardsman grenadierguardsman is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 3,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
This version was apparently worn by a Guards battalion (1SG?) in Afghanistan during 2013/2014. Probably worn on the helmet cover?

Tim
I am surprised the Scots Guards used those Tim, i would have thought they would have used the colours " oxford blue and signal red " for these unofficial cloth badges. I'm surprised that the poor quality was accepted ? IMHO
Andy
__________________
Leave to carry on Sir please.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-04-21, 04:17 PM
Colin S Colin S is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 282
Default

I have now found my reference for the cloth badge I noted as worn in the 1970s. It is indeed the version with the ‘IV’ added and was worn by a Brigadier on the right sleeve of the pullover in 1976.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-04-21, 07:44 PM
grey_green_acorn's Avatar
grey_green_acorn grey_green_acorn is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 4,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
I am surprised the Scots Guards used those Tim, i would have thought they would have used the colours " oxford blue and signal red " for these unofficial cloth badges. I'm surprised that the poor quality was accepted ? IMHO
Andy
Andy,
I am not sure that it was 1SG - waiting for other members’ comments.

Tim
__________________
"Manui dat cognitio vires - Knowledge gives strength to the arm"
"Better to know it but not need it than to need it and not know it!"
"Have more than thou showest, speak less than thou knowest."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.