View Single Post
Old 27-04-11, 07:20 AM
Peter J

Default KRRC - large & small honours

Perhaps one for the KRRC buffs this… a small observation which might be of interest.

I specifically bought badge ‘B’ the other day purely because it appeared to have characteristics I had not noticed before on a KRRC badge (its slider is missing, but that is of no particular consequence here).

KRRC a.jpgKRRC b.jpg

Badge ‘A’ is the regular type (KK 2011), whereas badge ‘B’ (also KK 2011) is slightly different in that the same battle honours set out on the arms of its cross are considerably smaller than those on badge ‘A’.

North.jpg East.jpg South.jpg West.jpg

The reason for this could of course be attributable to the old ‘maker’s variation’ chestnut, but perhaps it could be something else.

Perhaps badge ‘B’ is an earlier pattern on which the battle honours proved to be too difficult to read or to manufacture to a high standard, and was therefore dropped in favour of badge ‘A’.

Or perhaps the reverse is true: the battle honours on badge ‘A’ were thought to be too large and squashed-looking, so the smaller, better-spaced honours of badge ‘B’ were chosen in preference.

One last observation, which may be of no consquence: badge 'A' has no apostrophe in 'KING'S' within the centre circle, whereas badge 'B' has.

Centre Badge 'A'.jpg Centre Badge 'B'.jpg

None of the above theories may be correct of course but, if for no other reason, I thought it might be of interest to see both types together for reference.

Any other theories welcomed, gents.

(Apologies for the dodgy photography).

Regards,

Peter.

Last edited by Peter J; 27-04-11 at 03:48 PM. Reason: KK ref correction