British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-11-09, 03:33 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default Unknown title No 2 Special Infantry Battalion

I guess you all saw that second Canadian special infantry Battalion title on auction, only the second that I have ever seen, No one seems to know what it is or who wore it. Mr Brooker says (among other theorys)that some of the Canadian Bn's did some special duty while in the UK like guarding Buckingham palace etc. but whether they were temporarily renamed for that purpose or not he didn;'t know. The Carleton & York for one.
Like the one in my collection this one is also UK made. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
Old 18-11-09, 03:57 PM

http://jfchalifoux.com/royal_canadia...ntry_corps.htm

Second Canadian Special Infantry Battalion (until 1944)

Perhaps a lead?

Tom
Old 18-11-09, 06:06 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Tom,I don't understand your thread, What is in Jean francois' link to help me? Cheers
Old 18-11-09, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

The No 2 Special Infantry Battalion was formed in the UK in the summer of 1945. Details:
No 2 Special Infantry Battalion

Serial 2698 - 19th Canadian Infantry Training Battalion, Type "C"
Authorized: GO 377/45 - Effective 10 Jul 45, Redesignated: GO 386/45 - Effective 3 Aug 45
Redesignated: Serial No. 2698* - 2nd Special Battalion, C.I.C. - GO 386/45 - Effective 3 Aug 45

Serial 2698 - 2nd Special Battalion, C.I.C.
Authorized: GO 386/45 - Effective 3 Aug 45, Disbanded: GO 96/46 - Effective 31 Jan 46

They took a unit shoulder title into use in the summer / fall of 1945. This is an example on auction.
Old 18-11-09, 06:56 PM

Essentially what Bill said, sorry I should have made myself clearer....

ATB,
Tom
Old 18-11-09, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
I guess you all saw that second Canadian special infantry Battalion title on auction, only the second that I have ever seen, No one seems to know what it is or who wore it. Mr Brooker says (among other theorys)that some of the Canadian Bn's did some special duty while in the UK like guarding Buckingham palace etc. but whether they were temporarily renamed for that purpose or not he didn;'t know. The Carleton & York for one.
Like the one in my collection this one is also UK made. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
The Canadians that guarded Buckingam Palace did it in their own usual names, and much was made of it at the time.

Here are the Toronto Scottish, with brief mention of the Royal 22eme:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=25133

& here are those "Van Doos":

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=25144

Both newsreels released April 1940.
Old 18-11-09, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
The No 2 Special Infantry Battalion was formed in the UK in the summer of 1945. Details:
No 2 Special Infantry Battalion

Serial 2698 - 19th Canadian Infantry Training Battalion, Type "C"
Authorized: GO 377/45 - Effective 10 Jul 45, Redesignated: GO 386/45 - Effective 3 Aug 45
Redesignated: Serial No. 2698* - 2nd Special Battalion, C.I.C. - GO 386/45 - Effective 3 Aug 45

Serial 2698 - 2nd Special Battalion, C.I.C.
Authorized: GO 386/45 - Effective 3 Aug 45, Disbanded: GO 96/46 - Effective 31 Jan 46

They took a unit shoulder title into use in the summer / fall of 1945. This is an example on auction.
OK Bill, but what was the function of the above-named unit with the post-war Canadian Army ??
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 18-11-09, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Jo, et al, This unit was in the UK, as part of the Canadian army. In my understanding, the Infantry Training Battalions were reinforcement units in the UK that took in soldiers from Canada and other corps and brought their infantry training up to standard to be fed into the reinforcement stream. As such, in the spring and summer of 1945, most of these units were full of "low points" men, and they were low priority to return home. Some talk about putting them into the Pacific Force, but that required that they volunteer.
This unit was not really the post war army as the Canadian Army Active continued for some time after 1945.
Old 18-11-09, 09:30 PM

I just thought of something.....in his book Tripp writes, on the Canadian Fusiliers (City of London Regt) that... "on May 25, 1944, the regiment embarked for the United Kingdom where it was converted and redesignated "2nd Canadian Infantry Training Battalion" on November 1, 1944.
Now the question could be, did the Canadian Fusiliers keep the cloth title they already wore in Canada or, did they switch to the new designation in the UK ???? IF, and a big IF, they are the same unit.
(BTW,the Rocky Mountain Rangers,in the UK were titled "1st Canadian Infantry Training Battalion" and the Winnipeg Grenadiers were "3rd Canadian Infantry Training Battalion" and lastly, Le Regiment de Hull as the "4th Canadian Infantry Training Battalion")
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 18-11-09 at 09:39 PM.
Old 18-11-09, 10:04 PM

The Canadian Fusiliers, Rocky Mountain Rangers, Le Regiment de Hull and the Winnipeg Grenadiers are interesting as they all had canvas flashes manufactured even though they were not part of The First Canadian Army Order of Battle.

Phil
Old 18-11-09, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Right Phil. And the reason they had canvas flashes is that they were on the order of battle of the CMHQ, and had printed flashes made due to the fact they were in the UK.

Last edited by Bill A; 19-11-09 at 12:44 PM.
Old 19-11-09, 04:21 AM

Default Aldershot

I stand to be corrected, but it was my undersatnding that the 2nd Canadian Special Infantry Battalion was born out or created resulting from the Aldershot riots on July 4th and 5th 1945.
Old 19-11-09, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting information. The dates certainly coincide.
The documentation that I have read indicates that the No 2 Special Infantry Battalion was created for the Freedom of the City ceremony at Aldershot.
In a ceremony at the Aldershot sports ground on September 26 1945, the Canadian Army was represented by the Second Special Infantry Battalion, a composite unit formed for the occasion, and by a detachment of Canadian Women's Army Corps.

Last edited by Bill A; 19-11-09 at 01:34 PM.
Old 19-11-09, 01:51 PM

Was there a No 1 Canadian Special Infantry Battalion?
Old 19-11-09, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

There isn't a No 1 "Special" Infantry Battalion in the orbats of the army through 1946. There is a No 1 Canadian Infantry Battalion (RCR) in the CAPF, but there is also a No 2 Canadian Infantry Battalion (H & PE).
There must be a reason that the Aldershot battalion was named number 2, but needs research.