British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-03-09, 10:38 PM

Default SOME QUESTIONS ON A FEW CANADIAN BADGES

Hi all
I have just been going through some of my Canadian badges and found myself faced with a few questions I’m sure many of you can help answer. Most of the questions relate to what period or manufacturers variations?
Firstly, the PLDG badges are different sizes. Are these the same period and where were they worn?

Second, PLF are different sizes, different sized letters, and different finish. What period are they?

Third, RCD badges are different in several ways, eg, size of letters on scroll, forelegs, and antlers. What period are they?

Fourth, Sherbrooke fusiliers, concave opposed to flat? What period are they?

Fifth, RMR, different design and finish. Eg. The placement of maple leaf over the Latin motto and different sized Canada title. What period are they?

Sixth, the French Canadian rgt pair in different metal finish. What period are they?

Seventh, Canadian engineers, lug/slider what period are they?

Eighth, these 3 badges, what are they and what period are they?

Thanks
BC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7015.JPG (86.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7016.JPG (83.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7018.jpg (45.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7019.jpg (52.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7020.jpg (50.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7021.jpg (58.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 31-03-09, 10:41 PM

pics of badge questions 6, 7 and 8
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7023.jpg (56.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7024.jpg (58.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7025.jpg (59.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7026.jpg (60.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 01-04-09, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

Hey bc, Some information for you, but not necessarily clarity. First, here is a string to muddy the waters on the IV PLDG. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...highlight=pldg.
Second, the variety in the Princess Louise Fusiliers is new to me. It is a badge that has not changed since the authorization in 1928. What you have is likely different die strikes, likely due to a set of dies being worn out, or a new manufacturer tendering the contract.
The RCD badges are a newer die on the left and the older die on the right. The newer die is associated with post war badges up until recently, where the unit appears to have gone back to the earlier style striking. The older die is the one that I associate with the WW2 era.
The domed F de S appears to be a personal customization.
The Royal Montreal Regiment is another puzzle. Here is another thread on that badge.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...treal+regiment
Jo may have more on the Régiment de Maisonneuve, but I think that you just have two badges from different runs. Both are circa WW2 era.
The Canadian Engineers badges are pre WW1 and WW1 era. (the militia and permanent force wore different patterns of badges, and these patterns shown were the type worn by most engineers during WW1.) Slidered badges from this period are usually English made.
Last, you have the Canadian Women's Army Corps, Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers, and the Victoria Rifles. The first two were circa WW2, (the CWAC wore that pattern of badge until the corps was disbanded at the time of unification in 1968), and the Victoria Rifles badge was the same from around WW1 until the qc was adopted in the 1950's.
As always, other comments / analysis welcome.
Old 01-04-09, 01:21 AM

re the Maissonneuves, neither badge has the buckled annulus, so they date from about the time the Maissoneuves were deployed overseas in 1940. The buckled garter on the 1925 badge was unauthorised. Is it my imagination or is the overlay better struck and silver looking, rather than w.m.?

re the Victoria Rifles, isn't the unvoided badge typical of WW2 and the voided "VRC" type much earlier? I think the voided periods in between should also help to date this.

The RCD badge on the left looks like a pre WWI/WWI-era cap badge. The horns, head and letter spacing are right for that era.

Like Bill said, the Sherbrooke badge looks like a 'broomstick vault'. A guy would put his badge on the end of a rod like a broom handle and give it a good smack with his palm to give it the convex shape. I've got a broomstick vaulted 17th Duke of York R.C. Hussars.
Old 01-04-09, 01:33 AM

I'll chime in with my 2 cents worth. Generally, I agree with Bill. A couple of comments:

Is it possible that the springbok on your newer badge has a broken right front foreleg? (ouch!) If both front hooves were touching the ground, I'd say circa mid '50's. If the badge was actually struck with one front hoof raised, it's a die pattern I've never noticed before.

RMR badge on the left is British made, likely by Gaunt. This could be a CEF badge, or it could also be a militia / WW2 era OSD badge. The one on the right is by Scully, & would be considered the typical WW2 OR's pattern.

I think the dark finish on the Maisonneuve badge is due to deterioration.

Later kings crown VRC badges did not have voided letters. I don't know exactly when this change took place but I'd call your badge pre-WW2. I think this badge would have been blackened in wear.
Old 01-04-09, 04:42 AM

Still say the RCD badge on the left is WWI. Charlton shows that style with the spaced lettering, and lists both Tiptaft & unmarked versions. I know I posted these pics. 9 million years back, but here they are again: a WWI RCD with the same raised leg alongside a strange post-WWII RCD (60s?) lugged badge, fronts and backs. The shiny one is the WWI badge. Looks to have Gaunt type D lugs. The Die II badge shown in Thompson's book, Vol. 3, 1953-1973, has quite a different head shape, plus the foreleg is fused to the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCD_WWI.jpg (86.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg RCD_fronts.jpg (98.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg RCD_backs.jpg (101.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-04-09, 04:58 AM

hi guys
appreciate the help, i think. im getting a little confused but will sit back later tonight and reread the replies and respond appropriately.
here is the reverse of the RCD. the foreleg is not broken and the lugs look a little D shaped but not on this angle
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7197.JPG (67.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 01-04-09, 02:16 PM

Sherbrooke Fusiliers badge I have seen in a variety of finishes...

From Chocolate brown to golden staybright...

You concave badge might have been "bended" that way to fit a cap or wedge...

All the "Sherby Fuz" I came upon where more or less "flat"

I also noticed last year that officers still wear the gilt/enamel KC badges... or at least they are still available to them from their kit shop.
Old 02-04-09, 10:25 PM

hi guys
thanks to all for your replies.
below is a prece of whats been said so i just hope for confirmation
bc

IV PLDG
the short IV version "The Princess Louise Dragoon Guards" as opposed to
"IV Princess Louise Dragoon Guards" ww2 period
or a variation in makers specs

Princess Louise Fusiliers
different die strikes, circa?

RCD badges
newer die on the left associated with post war badges up until recently
and the older die on the right is the one that I associate with the WW2 era
or
left pre WWI/WWI-era cap badge. The horns, head and letter spacing are right for that era

F de S
appears to be a personal customisation

Royal Montreal Regiment
bronze for all ranks 14th Bn.(14-18) The WW1 era badge does not have the dots in between the wording around the centre of the badge, Also the "tonge" at the bottom of the garter is much more pronounced than on the WW2 version
"brass/gm" KC was worn post 1920 up to 1953'ish by the or's

Régiment de Maisonneuve
two badges from different runs. Both are circa WW2 era
they date from about the time the Maissoneuves were deployed overseas in 1940

Canadian Engineers badges
are pre WW1 (lugs?) and WW1 era (slider? Uk made)

Canadian Women's Army Corps, Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers
circa WW2

Victoria Rifles badge
WW1 until the qc was adopted in the 1950's
or
the unvoided badge typical of WW2 and the voided "VRC" type much earlier
Old 02-04-09, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Hi bc,
A couple of points.
There is no concensus on the IV PLDG badges. The short IV pattern may have been a post war issue (circa 1949) or a buckle badge. But, the badge was not issued for a changed designation of the unit, as the unit had 4 in some form or shape from 1936 when amalgamated with the 4 Hussars until they were put on the supplementary order of battle.
The Canadian Engineers badge was lugged both before and during WW1. The badge with the slider (which are somewhat scarce with that fastener) are English made and likely WW1 era only.