British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-11-15, 06:06 AM

Default Sch-TMR

Hi, I picked this up yesterday and was very chuffed with it. I had never seen a Transvaal Mounted Rifles badge before. It was only used in the 1906 Zulu Rebellion. It is so unusual that I had to share it. Regards Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sch-TMR.jpg (61.1 KB, 66 views)
Old 26-11-15, 01:00 PM

Hi Andrew

That is really nice!

Is that a glengarry band that the badges are pinned to and do you have any idea where the colours originated?

Out of interest, I seem to recall that there were other units that wore (or might have worn) TMR titles. Is there any rule of thumb for distinguiishing between them?

Regards
Craig
Old 26-11-15, 01:54 PM

Hi Craig,

Thank you. I assume that all the Transvaal Volunteers that took place would have worn the TMR, but this is the first one that I have ever seen. Maybe they all wore it together with their own badge like this, but I don't know.

Regards

Andrew
Old 26-11-15, 01:57 PM

Very nice indeed and very expensive, these days!
The generic Transvaal Mounted Rifles badge was worn for those few short months by members of the Transvaal Volunteer Force who made up the regiment during it's brief existence, that particular one could only have been worn by a member of the Scottish Horse.
Old 26-11-15, 02:00 PM

Thanks Frank, not cheap, but very happy to get it. Regards Andrew
Old 10-01-16, 12:14 PM

The Transvaal Mounted Rifles badges were simply a generic incised brass TMR of a very noticeable thin gauge, there appears very little variation and the shape of letters seem to have been very distinct indeed, I have always believed that they were likely to have been made actually in the Colony of Natal, after the Transvaal Volunteer Force had arrived there, rather than having them made en mass before it's departure, simply because they don't turn up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigen View Post
Hi Andrew

That is really nice!

Is that a glengarry band that the badges are pinned to and do you have any idea where the colours originated?

Out of interest, I seem to recall that there were other units that wore (or might have worn) TMR titles. Is there any rule of thumb for distinguiishing between them?

Regards
Craig
Old 15-01-16, 10:28 AM

As an aside the Transkei Mounted Rifles also used a TMR shoulder title. Example attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transkei Mounted Rifles.jpg (28.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 16-01-16, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
The Transvaal Mounted Rifles badges were simply a generic incised brass TMR of a very noticeable thin gauge, there appears very little variation and the shape of letters seem to have been very distinct indeed, I have always believed that they were likely to have been made actually in the Colony of Natal, after the Transvaal Volunteer Force had arrived there, rather than having them made en mass before it's departure, simply because they don't turn up.
Hi Frank, that is definitely possible. I have only ever seen this one. Have a grand day. Andrew