British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-05-10, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Default LONG SLIDERS

Slider length was mentioned a while ago and I said that I would show some of the long ones that I have. These are all 100% genuine with provenance from the 1940s. The 1916 Essex is the usual 38 mm, the 1st Monmouths a longer 42 mm and the Hussars is 45 mm. I also have a number with very short sliders and a Malta Regt with an even longer one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BADGE SLIDERS 002.jpg (94.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg BADGE SLIDERS 001.jpg (97.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg BADGE SLIDERS 003.jpg (94.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 16-05-10, 06:34 PM

Hello Alan ,
here are two badges I have both sliders measure 45mm.
The Army Ordnance Corps looks to have been fitted to a belt at some time, judging from it bent slider.
The Royal Army Ordnance Corps is a relatively tall badge so is this standard slider dimension used ?
Regards Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1922_16-05-10.jpg (64.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg P1921_16-05-10.jpg (73.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 16-05-10, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Tony,

very unusual for that badge indeed. The AOC are usually much shorter.

alan
Old 16-05-10, 07:08 PM

Default Longer Slidered Great War Badges

Hello Alan

Many thanks for putting these up. If I’ve got things right, from what you posted up on the other thread about the long slidered Leicesters territorial badge, you think these badges would have been worn with the standard peaked cap? Does that then mean that the more usual shorter slidered badges would not then have been worn with this kind of headgear? Do I also take it that none of the badges you show could be earlier than the Great War? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I’m just trying to understand why we have these longer slidered badges, and what the implications might be for the ones I posted here and here. Really interesting to see Tony’s two badges both with 45mm long sliders as well.

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”
Old 16-05-10, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

The thing is there are absolutely no hard and fast rules here. My Lincs has a very short fat slider whereas these have long sliders. The Monmouths should be pre-1920 but the hussars could be much later. And as for feet on lugs, my BW TF badge has feet that a clown would be proud of!

Last edited by Alan O; 17-05-10 at 01:50 PM.
Old 17-05-10, 12:03 AM
Former Member

First sliders that were introduced in 1903 were longer and then an order which saw them shortened in the production process was issued in 1906. As with everything to do with badge collection, there are always exceptions and although slider length is pretty standard, there are, as show in the above posts variations!

The picture shows Manchester Regt lugged pre 1903, 1903-06 and post 1906!

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=15171

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 17-05-10 at 12:21 AM.
Old 17-05-10, 12:23 AM

Interesting AOC Badge. The Large AOC Badge had been in use from 1896 till 1907 when the Smaller example with slider was introduced, so was after the shortening of sliders was ordered! but as in all things exceptions will be found as Andy rightly says. Many smaller AOC badges are also found with lugs at 9 & 3 o'clock which could be explaned as collar badges as 1896 till 1907 they also carried the scroll, but far more left facing than right facing are found.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 17-05-10, 11:53 AM

Default Reason for Longer Sliders?

Interesting postings Gentlemen - it’s especially good to see all these different longer slidered examples that members have in their collections. When Alan kindly posted up his longer slidered badges it was in response to something he said on an earlier thread here about a Leicesters Territorials’ badge with a much longer slider, and where I had also posted some images of two such longer slidered Leicesters TF badges as well. I have read about the 1906 shortening, mainly in things Julian (KLR) has written on the Forum, which all seems to be connected with the demise of the Brodrick cap. I was rather hoping he would have got back to me about things after my postings on this subject to the other thread, however I don’t think even Julian is clear on what the original slider length would have been, or what it was shortened to.

I’m afraid I can’t comment much on the other badges that have been put up here, but as far as I am aware my Leicestershire Territorials’ ones would have only come in after the formation of the TF in 1908. So like a couple of the others above, this would have been after the apparent shortening due to the withdrawal of the Brodrick in 1906-07. My problem is both my Leicesters have sliders of approximately 45mm (1¾ʹʹ), which is substantially longer than any of the contemporary regular battalions’ versions I have. I had initially thought that this was because the territorials had perhaps still been wearing the Brodrick in 1908, and so would have needed longer slidered badges, but Alan seems to think this was unlikely.

Whilst I accept that you do generally get some slight variation in slider length, whether this be over time or because of different manufacturers, I still think there must be another more specific reason for the longer sliders on my two Leicesters badges (and by extension for the other ones here with 45mm long sliders). My personal feeling is that it was for some kind of headgear, though if it wasn’t for the Brodrick then I have no idea what it could be! My Leicesters TF badges with the 45mm sliders must be post 1908 but pre 1917; as this is when they were granted the right to wear the same badge as the regulars with the ‘Hindoostan’ top scroll. I actually think one of mine is earlier than the First World War, though I suppose it could be later which might fit better with Alan’s thinking about his longer slidered badges dating from the Great War. Unfortunately I’m still in the dark as to why we get these badges with sliders of around the 45mm mark, and particularly why my two Leicesters Territorials’ ones are like this!! If anyone thinks they can help me get to the bottom of this, then I’d really appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Regards

Martin

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 17-05-10 at 08:45 PM.
Old 17-05-10, 05:34 PM

Default Longer Slidered Leicesters TF Badges

I thought it might be best to post up some pictures of the two Leicesters Territorials’ badges that I’ve been talking about, and which I originally posted to the other thread here and here, only this time I’m showing them side by side:

Both badges have sliders that are approximately 45mm in length. The Gaunt badge on the left is actually nearer 46mm, whilst the ‘kitten-faced’ version on the right is more like 44mm. As I said in my last posting, all the regulars’ Leicesters badges I have so far have more standard length sliders of about 35mm. If there are any ordinary Leicestershire Regiment badges with longer sliders out there, then, so far, I haven’t yet seen them myself. If anyone does have one of these regulars’ badges with a longer slider, similar to the TF ones above, then I’d obviously be most grateful to hear about it – or better still see a photo? Once again if members have any thoughts or comments on what could be the reason for these 45mm long sliders, I’d definitly appreciate hearing them.

Best regards

Martin

Old 09-06-10, 09:32 PM

Default Anodised Long Slider London Irish

Just looking through a few a/a cap badges I have and came across this London Irish .
Would have thought it maybe should have lugs,but as you can see it is slidered. The length of the slider is 56mm.
Has anyone got a similar badge?
Regards Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2219_09-06-10.jpg (64.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-06-10, 09:43 PM

Default London Irish

Long slider on the Anodised London Irish is possibly because it is a largish badge and was worn with a hackle in the Caubeen which has a deeper front than a beret.
The new metal chromed finish badge shown has lugs E-W and a loop on the back to secure the hackle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg London Irish chrome x.jpg (18.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-06-10, 10:41 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
Just looking through a few a/a cap badges I have and came across this London Irish .
Would have thought it maybe should have lugs,but as you can see it is slidered. The length of the slider is 56mm.
Has anyone got a similar badge?
Regards Tony.
Hi Tony,

I too have one, the slider on mine has been clipped ? for what reason, I haven't the faintest ??

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sales2.jpg (60.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-06-10, 11:41 PM
Former Member

Dave,
the tips are clipped off otherwise they would protrude below the headband of the caubeen when fitted, hence the reason for a lot of beret badges having the same treatment, those worn with the base near to the band would have the rounded end showing below.

Andy
Old 10-06-10, 04:22 PM

Hi Tony,

I have the same london Irish as you do. fits the caubeen. the new metal version has lugs east and west and hackle loop, much better in my opinion. The A/A version slides all over the place no matter how you bend the slider, and the hackle acts as a lever unless sewn down.

Sliders come in all sizes and lengths even in the same lot. I have three London Irish A/A badges and they all have different lengths.

Regards,
Clay
Old 10-06-10, 09:16 PM

Thanks to all who responded to my queries.
Regards Tony.