The shield of the Archbishop of Whitgift, surmounted with a bishop’s mitre. Below a scroll inscribed Vincit Qui Patitur = He conquers who endures.
This example in bronze finish, with a slider to the reverse.
Whitgift OTC formed 12th August 1908. Strength on the 1st April 1911 was: 5 officers, 151 cadets.
We have the Whitgift Grammar School Book of Remembrance 1914-1919 in the Badge Forum library if any contributing member requires a ‘look-up’ of an individual. Note this is for the school generally not the OTC but we assume a few men were both.
Capt. JOHN HUME NEILSON MABEY. Aged 36. D.of W. Nov. 18, 1917. London Regiment. (‘93-98)
Son of the late Mr. and Mrs. J. Mabey, formerly of Sandfield Road, Thornton Heath. XI., 1st XV., Mile, one of original founders of O.W.R.F.C., 1st XI. Croydon C.C. , 1st XV. Streatham R.F.C. Joined Artists’ Rifles May 1915; 2nd Lieut. London Regt. July 1915; France June 1916 as Lieut.; saw much fighting around Arras; Salonika Nov. 1916, fought around Lake Doiran.; Egypt June 1917 en route for Palestine; in Nov. severely wounded north of Bersheba, taken to hospital at Kantara and thence to Cairo where he died. He was married to Miss Gladys Bishop, but left no children. He was in the firm of John Shannon & Son Ltd., of Walsall, and was there very greatly esteemed. His Officer writes “Her was a splendid man and is an irreplaceable loss to our Battalion, both as a friend and s a soldier. His men would have done anything for him and followed him anywhere.”