Gilding metal, 43mm tall, 36mm wide. Two copper loops.
A male lion’s head facing left, below a folded scroll inscribed on the top part with the regimental motto in Afrikaans, Ons Waarsku (We Warn). The lower part inscribed Regiment de la Rey. Two concurrent versions of this badge existed; one with the lion’s mouth closed (as this example) and with the mouth open.
Regiment formed in 1934 and was named after Boer General Jacobus Herculaas de la Rey. Amalgamated with the Witwatersrand Rifles Regiment in 1944. The unit served with distinction in the Italian Campaign as motorised infantry with the 6th South African Armoured Division.
See: Owen, Colin R. The Military Badges and Insignia of Southern Africa; image 1007.