In brass or gilding metal. A two part badge – a wreath containing the letters ‘HG’ . Two loops E-W to each part. Also produced in embroidered cloth.
A cavalry badge worn by both British and Indian armies, including the MGC (Cavalry). Officially obsolete 1921, to be replaced by the ‘LG’ type badge, but according to Edwards and Langley*, possibly persisted as late as 1940.
*See: Edwards, D., Langley, D., British Army Proficiency Badges. (Amazon link)