British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-03-10, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Default Pacific Coast Militia Rangers

This pin literally walked in my door over the weekend. A picker arrived at the door with a small box of badges, mostly nothing special. Except this little gem at the bottom of the box.
Does anyone know the actual use? As a unit the PCMR were not all uniformed. My understanding is that the pin was a civilian clothes lapel pin to show membership in the organization during the war, and not an association pin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcmr lapel pin.jpg (29.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 03-03-10, 03:14 PM

That is exactly it Bill. From what I have been told, because of the irregular and informal nature of the PCMR, the members were issued with the little screw on badge to wear in the lapel.

Phil
Old 03-03-10, 08:27 PM

Default Door-to-Door Service!

Well Bill, I'm intrigued - what is a "picker" and how do I get one to come to my door offering me badges?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
This pin literally walked in my door over the weekend. A picker arrived at the door with a small box of badges, mostly nothing special. Except this little gem at the bottom of the box.
Does anyone know the actual use? As a unit the PCMR were not all uniformed. My understanding is that the pin was a civilian clothes lapel pin to show membership in the organization during the war, and not an association pin.
Old 03-03-10, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Ian, "Pickers" are individuals who go around to garage sales, antique stores, junk stores etc, and buy select items for resale. Good pickers study their stuff and know antiques and collectibles. One local fellow specialized in Hot Wheels toys, Star Wars, and Star Trek stuff. Another one does paintings and art work. They then go to interested parties (or ebay) and sell their gems. Some have a preferred clientele that they will actually look for particular material and call them when it comes along. Cultivating pickers is an interesting process in itself. Sometimes costly, as you have to grease the hand to keep them coming back to you. Since ebay came along, most of the pickers are doing it for themselves. They find good items, mostly at garage sales and weekly auctions and then re-sell on-line.
This fellow I met recently, so I was basically lucky that he came to me.
Old 04-07-10, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Pacific Coast Militia Rangers (PCMR) were a WWII unit that wore an armband for identification and by the end of the war had both beret and floppy bush hat with a cap badge (with spit pin tangs or sew on) and P.C.M.R. shoulder titles. A few had PCMR licence plates for cars used for trainingand opertions.

They were a guerilla force in British Columbia due to the threat of Japanese invasion. The Japs actually shelled and bombed, Alaska, BC and Oregon. In the event of an invasion they could guide the army or act as a guerrilla force. Today's armies would mistakenly call them "insurgents."

By the end of the war they had uniforms. Mainly "dry back" jacket and pants.

They also had a variety of weapons such as Sten Mk. II, P-14 (or P-17?) Enfield and Winchester rifles. The Winchester Model 1894 for example had C/|\ issue marks and military sling swivel(s).

You have the lapel pin which was worn on civilian clothing to identify them when not is field dress. A nice find.