British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-01-10, 06:25 AM

Default Red Backing For Anodised Aluminium Cap Badges

Hi Guys,

I have been given a piece of MoD spec red Melton cloth which I beieve was used as the backing for some A/A cap badges.

The piece measures approx. 20cms by 18cms so I should be able to cut out a few backings for badges that I own.

Questions are:

1) What is the standard border size for the backings in excess of the actual badge size?

2) Which A/A badges used this colour and type of backing?

Regards

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 30-01-10 at 07:39 PM.
Old 28-01-10, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Guys,

I have been given a piece of MoD spec red Melton cloth which I beieve was used as the backing for some A/A cap badges.

The piece measures approx. 20cms by 18cms so I should be able to cut out a few backings for badges that I own.

Questions are:

1) What is the standard border size for the backings in excess of the actual badge size?

2) Which A/A badges used this colour and type of backing?

Regards

Chris

Red or scarlet backing were worn behind the cap badges of the King's Regiment (a square I would guess at 40mm x 40mm), the Duke of Wellington's Regiment (a triangular shape with rounded corners) a little larger than the outline of the badge, Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment (an Inverted triangle was worn - diemnsions not known) Light Infantry wore red felt to the centre of the bugle horn. In addition red felt is worn behind the cap badges of both the Light Dragoons and Queens Royal Lancers (slightly larger than the outline of the badge). There may have been others that I have no knowledge of.

OC14
Old 28-01-10, 07:42 AM

Picture of Kings badge/backing attached.Althought the beret/badge is Liverpool University OTC, the backing was the same size for the Kings.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patch.jpg (63.3 KB, 16 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 28-01-10, 09:09 AM

Thanks OC14, PB.

OC14 - you have been a wealth of information today.

P.B. - good photo.

Regards

Chris
Old 28-01-10, 10:28 AM

Default Red badge backings

Chris,

WO32/13974 contains a document dated 01.51. containing a list of Dress & Embellishments deviating from standard patterns was prepared for a Draft ACI.
Amongst these are the following having badge backings described as red or scarlet:

Queen's Bays
DCLI (infilled the bugle-horn only)
Royal Scots
Royal Welch
Royal Berkshire Regt. (Subsequently the Wessex, DERR & M4's adopted an inverted red triangle. Their colour was officially known as Brandy Wine)
KRRC

I also own specimens of ano Duke of Welington's, Light Dragoons, and 10th Royal Hussars all with a red backing.

Hope this helps, Stephen.
Old 28-01-10, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Chris,

WO32/13974 contains a document dated 01.51. containing a list of Dress & Embellishments deviating from standard patterns was prepared for a Draft ACI.
Amongst these are the following having badge backings described as red or scarlet:

Queen's Bays
DCLI (infilled the bugle-horn only)
Royal Scots
Royal Welch
Royal Berkshire Regt. (Subsequently the Wessex, DERR & M4's adopted an inverted red triangle. Their colour was officially known as Brandy Wine)
KRRC

I also own specimens of ano Duke of Welington's, Light Dragoons, and 10th Royal Hussars all with a red backing.

Hope this helps, Stephen.
Thanks Stephen,

Certainly does - good to see offical references too!!!

REgards

Chris
Old 28-01-10, 08:55 PM

While on the subject of red backings, can anyone help with a query?
During WW2 my Father served with the 6th Battalion Durham Light Infantry who, as descendents of the Durham Rifle Volunteers wore a black cap badge.

Now I'm sure they wore it on a red background but I cannot remember if it was a square or a larger outline of the badge.

Is anyone able to let me know?

Dave.
Old 29-01-10, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Picture of Kings badge/backing attached.Althought the beret/badge is Liverpool University OTC, the backing was the same size for the Kings.

P.B.
Manchester UOTC wore the same backing, but with their badge (a lion upright)
Old 29-01-10, 11:15 PM

Staffs Yeoman youve just turned a key in my mind. Another one worn on a red back ground the Staffordshire Yeomanry .
Old 30-01-10, 05:52 PM

Default 6th durham light infantry

dave, in answer to your query, from badge backings and special embellishments of the british army i quote, when the territorial army was formed in 1908, 6 DLI successfully retained their "60th" uniforms, black badges and scarlet shaped badge backings. on the adoption of the khaki GS beret circa 1943 a 2 inch x 1, 7/8 inch square scarlet badge backing was adopted. regards john
Old 30-01-10, 06:17 PM

Default 6th DLI

Thanks for the information John, that's a great help.
I'm starting to put together my Fathers cap badge, medals & photo in a frame & I wasn't sure of a badge backing.

Thanks again,
Dave.
Old 01-02-10, 09:01 AM

Default Badge Backings

There is a book on this subject, which may be a useful reference.

"Badge Backings & Special Embellishments of The British Army"

Author's nom-de-plume is 'Audax', but otherwise he seems to be anonymous.

Published in 1992, by the Ulster Defence Regiment Benevolent Fund. ISBN 0 9514342 0 9
Old 01-02-10, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
There is a book on this subject, which may be a useful reference.

"Badge Backings & Special Embellishments of The British Army"

Author's nom-de-plume is 'Audax', but otherwise he seems to be anonymous.

Published in 1992, by the Ulster Defence Regiment Benevolent Fund. ISBN 0 9514342 0 9
Good book but not many illustrations.

Word is that 'Audax' is in fact updating and rewriting his book for publication by the end of this year. Second hand copies change hands for large amounts.

Lt Col Robin Hodges book 'Badges of the British Army' illustrates most of the currant (as at 2007 just before the Infantry changes) badge backings and embellishments.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 01-02-10, 04:07 PM

Audax ( Tom Walls) wrote to me in 2001 with some queries about Kings Regt badges/backings and I understood he was updating his book then.

Nothing has appeared in print since then but hopefully a new edition of his book may be out later if the rumours are true.
P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”