British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-03-08, 06:34 PM

Default 14th ROYAL IRISH RIFLES ( Y.C.V)

hope this pictures of the cap badge and title of the young citizen volonters from the collection of my grand father help you !!!

genuine 100% WW1.....but one loop of the title is broken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C1610-K1153-G36.JPG (17.8 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg C1610-K1153-G36--.JPG (17.1 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg C1610-K1153-G36-.JPG (18.5 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg ---.JPG (22.9 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg ----.JPG (23.5 KB, 101 views)
Old 11-03-08, 08:25 PM

Oops forgot too post some pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RSCN4406.JPG (87.9 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4398.JPG (42.9 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4397mmmm.jpg (70.9 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by tynesideirish; 18-04-08 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-03-08, 09:00 PM

ok, if it's a fake for you.....

but for me is ww1 .....

perhaps a ww1 restrike....who hade made the war in FRANCE at ZEGERS CAPPEL

my grand father was not a hero, just a young boy of 10 years old when the war arrived at his home, but for me he's not a liar.......
during the war ,for him cap badge are like "fottball" pictures for the boys of today......just a hobby.....just little things that tommys give to him

by by gentlemens i return with the froogys....so long

regards

Last edited by jeanpit-frenchy; 11-03-08 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 07:36 PM
ulsterman

The brass badge is an example of the 1912 period - one of many variations produced for each unit. They were made with four lugs on the back unlike the two copper lugs seen on the modern restrikes. No enamel version of the large oval badge existed in the 'Home Rule' days.

Frenchy - I'm sorry but the YCV badge shown is an old restrike. I will post some pics of my examples to show the difference.

Tynesideirsh - did you ever come across a brass example of the 14th RIR. I have came across numerous sources that they worn them 1916-1918 but I have never come across an original in brass.

Jonny
Old 15-03-08, 11:28 AM
ulsterman

Here are my two YCV badges. The second had its slider cut off and a nice hole put in the middle of the badge - but for a couple of pounds its one of my favourite badges.

Also a 3rd Batt North Belfast badge

Jonny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e467_1.jpg (20.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg SV400043.jpg (23.1 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg SV400044.jpg (19.4 KB, 221 views)
Old 15-03-08, 04:49 PM

Could someone try and get some pics. up together of good and bad, side by side and even mark or state the different points? Bit beyond me and I think I need the differances pointed out! Cheers, Paul.
Old 17-03-08, 10:15 AM

Serious question

Is there any real evidence that Jeanpit - frenchy's badge wasn't a variation issued to the troops and that the original die was later purchased by someone who then went into the re-strike market or are we just assuming that it is fake because all the re-strikes are from a particular die?

Chris
Old 19-03-08, 12:28 AM

Still trying to get my eye in. Is this a copy of a later badge? No good because crown too tall, fingers too long and flat, hand more like a glove then a hand, no wrist, Jewel band on crown not wide enough. Anything else I should see in the manufacture? Cheers, Paul.

YCV 002.jpgYCV 004.jpg

YCV 005.jpgYCV 006.jpg

Base of crown should be wider on the brass ones than the white metal ones? Were the white metal ones the earlier or were they produced at the same time?

Last edited by wardog; 19-03-08 at 01:20 AM.
Old 28-03-08, 04:28 PM
ulsterman

The white metal and brass badges were produced at the same time for the different dresses the YCVs wore. Thanks for posting the brass version tynesideirish. Could I add to tynesideirish comments that the fakes all have a much wider rim around the shamrock than the originals.

At the fairs here you regularly find dealers offering YCV badges in 3 classes - modern repro's (£5) which have all the faults previously mentioned, old restrikes (£40-£50) which would be better defined than the modern badges, around the crown for example but are quite chunky with a short slider and sometimes you come across an original (£100+)

Jonny

Last edited by ulsterman; 28-03-08 at 04:42 PM. Reason: very poor grammar
Old 29-03-08, 12:48 PM

Post YCV badges

Would anyone be able to clarify for me what type of badge was actually worn by the 14th Rifles when they were in tthe British Army, and not the YCV? Was it a brass or a white metal one? I'm fairly sure that officers wore the normal RIR cord boss badge. I'm guessing that as it was just one battalion within the division which wore this badge, and that this battalion sustained horrendous losses on the Somme, the probability of picking up an original isn't particularly good. I see several of them on ebay every day, so it's doubtful that any of these are the real McCoy, despite what the sellers say. It's also apparent that lots of loyalist flute bands like to wear this badge (as well as many other regimental badges).
Old 01-04-08, 07:03 PM

Post A couple of intersting items.

I have these among my collection. I believe the red hand badge was worn by the ASC elements within 36th Ulster Division. I have a YCV badge, but as it says JR Gaunt London on the slider, and came from ebay, I'm too embarassed to show it. Just in case anyone is interested.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UVF armband and ASC badge 001.jpg (75.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg UVF armband and ASC badge 002.jpg (14.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-04-08, 03:09 PM

Post Another post from my good self

After all this discussion about the YCV, this was in Yesterdays (Belfast) News Letter. Was being mentioned in conjunction with the recent story of the very brave Royal Marine who jumped on the grenade to save his colleagues out in Afghanistan. Thought it was an interesting picture.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YCV Group photo067.jpg (136.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 10-04-08, 08:11 PM

Default Y.C.V cap badge

If that first cap badge by Frenchie is a fake, I'd be willing to pay the owner £80 for it if he wants to sell it.

Most of the photo's listed by Tyneside are from my collection and while I dont mind people taking the photo's its pretty unfair to use my collection to make yourself an authority and rubbish someone elses.

Sleep well frenchie and if you ever want to sell just drop me a line...........

[img=http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7360/ycv1ui8.th.jpg]

Last edited by Alan O; 21-03-09 at 06:40 PM. Reason: photo
Old 10-04-08, 08:24 PM

P.s I wouldnt give this badge the light of day.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...1&d=1205881512

The problem is militaria is all about opinions and its about satisfying yourself, listen to opinions around you gather information and make your own mind up. Its a bit much to say 'Im an authority and everything else is wrong'. Its quite often hard to spot a fake but it can be easier to spot a goodun, especially with a Dixie. So on that vein I hope I leave you confused and if anyone wants my humble opinion dont be afaid to ask me my idea of a goodun and a badun.

P.P.S Peace Tynside, these are just opinions........
Old 10-04-08, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol513 View Post
If that first cap badge by Frenchie is a fake, I'd be willing to pay the owner £80 for it if he wants to sell it.

Most of the photo's listed by Tyneside are from my collection listed and while I dont mind people taking the photo's its pretty unfair to use my collection to make yourself an authority and rubbish someone elses.

Sleep well frenchie and if you ever want to sell just drop me a line...........

[img=http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7360/ycv1ui8.th.jpg]

THANK YOU VERY MUCH LOL513

it was for me a relief....

this badge come my grand father collection and it was very hard for me to assume that it could be a restrick...

i never sell it, it come from my family history and stay in my family

best regards from a frenchy

Last edited by Alan O; 21-03-09 at 06:40 PM.