British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-11-09, 06:09 AM

Default Dodgy Open Cast Anodised Aluminium Badges

Hi Guys,

This is a follow on from the Connaught Rangers shown here.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=8324

These badge have been around for a while and it may well be a good time to bring them to the A/A collectors attention.

Usually manufactured for rare or non-existant badges which in their own right cause accptance of the badge to have been officially authorised for issue when in reality they were not.

This is what these badges look like - points to note:

1) Good obverse detail.
2) Uneven and pitting to the reverse caused by small bubbles in the molten aluminium rising to the surface and bursting.
3) Often with small, thin integral cast lugs or if slider attired with a non recognisable type, stamped with an incorrect format maker mark.

I needed one for my work and ended up paying 18 pounds for a West Yorkshire Regiment - hell, I don't usually pay that much for a genuine badge!!!

Only suitable for a 'fakes' section in your collection if you keep such items.

Therefore, keep away from these and ensure for those 'exotic' A/A badges out there that you are temped to purchase that you ALWAYS get to see the rear of the badge before parting with the money.

Have a look at the photos and try and reconcile the lugs, slider and maker mark with good badges in your collection.

Photos arn't the best and I hope to upgrade photographic equipment in the new year.

Regards

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Queens Own Highlanders.jpg (64.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Queens Own Highlanders - Reverse.jpg (70.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Queens Own Highlanders - Lug.jpg (34.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg West Yorkshire Regt - Reverse.jpg (54.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg West Yorkshire Regt - Slider.jpg (22.8 KB, 30 views)