British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-09-09, 05:49 PM

Default Allied Special forces Insignia 1939-1948

Hi all

I have placed a couple of items on here only to find out they are fakes.

I have purchased the book by Peter Taylor who it appears is very much in the know with all these badges and can give a well balanced opinion.

Is it fair to say that all the pictures in the book including the cover are real as i will base my searches in the future on them.

It's clear in this game that you never know what you are buying and many pictures can be deceiving.

Just want to make sure.

Can anyone help

Bobby Bingo
Old 09-09-09, 06:40 PM

HI, Why not speak to Peter direct as he is a member of this forum and he can confirm your questions.
Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 09-09-09, 06:54 PM

Cheers Jerry,

I will try and see if i can find him but new to all this.

Do you have any opinions on the subject?

Bobby Bingo
Old 09-09-09, 07:45 PM

Bobby Bingo, He is peter616 on the forum.
Not into Special forces but collect, in the main, British Legion/Royal British Legion badges, HM Forces Police & Security related and post 1953 Royal Engineers badges, See my albums to give you an idea.
Regards Jerry.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 09-09-09, 09:23 PM

Peter's book is as far as I know the best on the market.
Also, you will find that Peter is an esteemed forummember, author, dealer and collector.

But, as usual in this particular field of collecting, there is never a 100% consensus on originality. There will always be disputable items.
Old 09-09-09, 10:03 PM

Yes everyone is an expert....... on something.

but even experts get burned at times.

The forum give you the option to ask questions, learn and hopefully reduce the error rate.

Feel free to ask and you will get opinions.

The SF cloth stuff is always expensive and heavily faked - sort of puts you off sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Bingo View Post
Hi all

I have placed a couple of items on here only to find out they are fakes.

I have purchased the book by Peter Taylor who it appears is very much in the know with all these badges and can give a well balanced opinion.

Is it fair to say that all the pictures in the book including the cover are real as i will base my searches in the future on them.

It's clear in this game that you never know what you are buying and many pictures can be deceiving.

Just want to make sure.

Can anyone help

Bobby Bingo
Old 10-09-09, 04:12 AM

I can't emphasise enough how important it is to do your homework before buying this increasingly expensive Commando and Airborne insignia. You're not alone, loads of people make the same mistakes when they start collecting this stuff.

Regarding guide books - well written ones are fine but as Luc pointed out, even the best contain the odd error. Some people prefer to study period photos so make good use of Google images e.t.c. The whole subject of judging originality isn't rocket-science - you just need to develop a "feel" for what's right and what's not. There's no shortcuts, knowledge can only be gained through experience.

If you find a gem tucked-away on the net, save a photo then post it here for an opinion. Don't post links to the ebay page or dealer's shop otherwise someone might just sneak in front and buy the item before you get a reply.

A few tips to ensure your next buys are good.

Does the seller have more of the same "rare" badges for sale at the same time or is it the third one they've listed that month?. Our old friend 'cunnard' often leaves time between listing his "products" but most dodgy sellers just list the same badges constantly.

Remember, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". Nowadays, ebay bargains are a rare thing as most of the old hands will have found the better stuff way before you. So, if you've just won say, a Raiding Support Regt. patch for £6.20, then alarm bells should start ringing!.

As for Dealers, well they vary. A small handful will think nothing of ripping you off but I've found that most are fair with their prices and some are even bloody cheap!. These days, to avoid the global scrap that takes place everytime something rare and original appears on ebay, I'm increasingly buying from dealers and so far, thumbs-up.

Lastly, remember no-one's infallible - the thing is to keep the bad buys to as few as possible!!.

Cheers,

Kev C

Last edited by AAC_GPR; 10-09-09 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-09-09, 02:40 PM
peter616

I think its time I had a little say as its my book you are talking about As I have been collecting and dealing for over forty years I learnt with special forces that you need to do research on the items that you buy; also I have over the years bought re-pros which helps me to find what the re-proers are making. When you get the genuine piece, the copies stick out like a sore thumb. Also with special forces, unlike other main stream badges, there is no set rule; for instance chindit badges were made from 43 to 48; the badges were made in either in Burma or India and there are over 60 or 70 variations to the badge as the men had them made in theatre, or on leave.

So when buying Special Forces badges do a little bit of research! also check the internet because every re-pro I know had been on there.
As members of the badge forum there are some good special forces badges in members albums which will help you in the future if you are collecting in this field.
Peter

Last edited by peter616; 10-09-09 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-09-09, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

An alternative is to collect the less glamourous but just as rewarding areas. How about a nice set of Army pay Corps badges? mUch cheaper and much less chances of fakery.
Old 10-09-09, 07:03 PM

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the comments that seems to put a lot more meat on the bones, and it seems that as Peter says by having or seeing copies makes you understand the real deal a little better, so i thanks you for that.

Peter from my perspective and getting back to my original question, using the pictures in your book should be quite safe as i take it they are all of originals items, bearing in mind unless you really see and touch an item before you buy it you can never be sure what you are getting.

Thanks again for the comments, things are becoming a little more easier.

Bobby Bingo
Old 10-09-09, 08:21 PM

Smile Exotic badges

As Allan has rightly pointed out, the less glamourous unit badges are far safer to collect than the scarce special forces badges. The more desirable the badge the more likely it is to be copied. I bought a collection a short while ago purely on the fact that there were only Infantry and corps with a few cavalry among them. If the collection had a lot of Volunteer, VTC and other scarce items, I would have been very wary of this collection.

I started collecting WWI/WWII infantry and Corps, later graduating to Cavalry, Yeomanry and Territorial badges. If rarer specimens were offered with good provenance, I took them. For anyone starting out collecting British cap badges, I would advise to follow my route, even that is liberally sprinkled with restrikes today, not so when I first started in the early 1950's, but a new collector does get more of a chance to feel what real badges are like and what to look for.
Old 11-09-09, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter616 View Post
I have over the years bought re-pros which helps me to find what the re-proers are making. When you get the genuine piece, the copies stick out like a sore thumb
Some very good advice from Peter there. Repros are cheap but the knowledge gained from handling them is worth it's weight in gold. I have an internet favourites folder full of links to sellers of repro SF badges - I'll add a few if I get the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
The more desirable the badge the more likely it is to be copied.
More wise words - if you take heed of even half the advice given in this thread then I reckon you'll do ok

Cheers,

Kev C.
Old 11-09-09, 01:49 PM

Hi all

Thanks for all the advice guys it is very much appreciated, and i will have to be careful what i buy.

I guess i'm not going to get an answer to the original question which was can i use the book i bought written by Peter Taylor as a good source for pictorial evidence based on originals being shown or not.

Cheers to all

Bobby Bingo
Old 11-09-09, 02:35 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Bingo View Post
Hi all
I guess i'm not going to get an answer to the original question which was can i use the book i bought written by Peter Taylor as a good source for pictorial evidence based on originals being shown or not.
Cheers to all

Bobby Bingo
I would have said that had Peter used any 'questionable' BRITISH items in
his book that he would have made a comment about it. Therefore, as he
has not said anything and has even contributed to this thread, you can indeed use his book - with regard to BRITISH items - however, if you want
to know more about what the back of a specific badge looks like, then
you will have to provide a picture of the back and offer it up to the forum
for comment.
If you are still skeptical about your original question remaining unanswered,
why not send him an email and ask him directly. However, you may very
well find that your most recent comment will elicit an explicit reply from him
anyway... david
Old 11-09-09, 02:48 PM

Compare the LRDG badge on the cover with the ones shown as original here on the forum.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.