British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-08-09, 08:21 AM

Default Aden Protectorate Levies Fixing Apparatus

Hi Guys,

Can someone please post both obverse and reverse images of the anodised aluminium version of the Aden Protectorate Levies cap badge.

Am I correct in thinking that the fixing apparatus is a broch fitting and is similar to the Guards Depot W.R.A.C. chest badge?

Regards

Chris
Old 27-08-09, 10:47 AM

In haste, the APL had badges with either lugs or a pin. As far as I know only the anodized version had a slider. The pin type was for use on the amamah or pagri as they call the turban. There was an officers wire wove side hat badge too.
Rgds Quicksilver
Old 27-08-09, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
In haste, the APL had badges with either lugs or a pin. As far as I know only the anodized version had a slider. The pin type was for use on the amamah or pagri as they call the turban. There was an officers wire wove side hat badge too.
Rgds Quicksilver
Thanks Quicksilver.

The LoC description in relation to this badge covered both an anodised and non-anodised version but slung in the pin assembly bit without differenting between the two badges. I'll keep to slider for the anodised badge for now unless otherwise informed.

Regards

Chris
Old 27-08-09, 10:29 PM

I have often wondered if the anodized badges were ever issued as the APL was handed over to the Federal Government on 30 November 1961 and automatically became the Federal Regular Army (FRA). From what I remember anodized badges were introduced in 1959. Did they all come in at once or where they gradually introduced?
Cliff
Old 27-08-09, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I have often wondered if the anodized badges were ever issued as the APL was handed over to the Federal Government on 30 November 1961 and automatically became the Federal Regular Army (FRA). From what I remember anodized badges were introduced in 1959. Did they all come in at once or where they gradually introduced?
Cliff
Hi Cliff,

I can't answer that I just know the Aden Protectorate Levies with St. Edward Crown was sealed on 30th June 1958 with the LoC change for both metal variants of the badge.

re: come in at once or where they gradually introduced?

are you commenting at a general level or just for the Aden Protectorate Levies?

Regards

Chris
Old 28-08-09, 10:39 AM

I was commenting on the APL, but since I wrote my last I have done some research and see that documents I have from the Imperial War Museum indicate that the anodized were for BOR while the brass and white metal were for Arabs. Gilt and silver were for officers. Having seen that I am still not convinced that is correct but that is what is stated by the IWM.
Quicksilver
Old 28-08-09, 03:46 PM

There is this one, not the one you want, but, I thought I would post it anyway.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:30 PM.
Old 28-08-09, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the pix of the Federal Regular Army insignia and approval date of 5/8/63. As the APL was handed over to the Federal Govt in on 30/11/61 - I guess they wore the APL badges for a couple of years. Seems rather a long time. The South Arabian Army got their badges right away when the FRA became the SAA.
Quicksilver
Old 28-08-09, 10:03 PM

Thanks Guys for keeping this going.

Here are the designation notes from List Of Changes dated 30th November 1958 - Change Numbers C 8836 to C 8964 and from change C 8865:

INTRODUCTION. A new pattern (No. 17850) has been sealed to govern future manufacture and is hereby introduced for wear by other ranks of the Aden Protectorate Levies. Made in aluminium, anodised "gold" and "silver" the design is of crossed gambias surmounted by the St. Edwards Crown, and beneath, a scroll with the letters A.P.L. The badge is fitted with a broach pin fastening.

It looks like it actually came with a slider which is good news for me as I do not have to incorporate the broach fitting in my Other Badge Components chapter.

But if we do find one then please let me know as this card is well after the LoC entry:

Marc, your sealed pattern card is for 19135 sealed on 5th August 1963.

The LoC is for 17850 and 30th June 1958 which seems to pre-date this somewhat - do you know of this earlier pattern?

Regards

Chris
Old 29-08-09, 09:11 AM

The pattern posted is for the Federal Regular Army NOT the APL.
Old 29-08-09, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
The pattern posted is for the Federal Regular Army NOT the APL.
Thanks Marc,

Is this the 'replacement' for the APL then?

Regards

Chris
Old 29-08-09, 11:53 AM

Here we go chaps, Aden Protectorate Levies and Federal Regular Army, which was the immediate successor of the APL, both with brooch fittings and both for Arab ORs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OBs.jpg (47.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Rev.jpg (47.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 29-08-09, 09:58 PM

Thanks Eddie,

The pin and hindge assembly are the same as the WRAC Guards Depot badge but I'm unsure about the clasp at the bootom of the badge. has this been crimped into place or attached by a weld or similar?

Can you post an angle shot of the clasp in close up?

Also, any makers names of the rear of either badges which will probably be via relief casting? I've looked at both but can't see any from where I sit. This again would be quite important to me.

Also, how did these units fit into the British Army administration system? It looks like with have a List of Change entry for the Aden Protectorate Levies and sealed pattern cards for both them and the Federal Regular Army.

Regards

Chris
Old 29-08-09, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
There is this one, not the one you want, but, I thought I would post it anyway.
Marc,

Can you give me the card index number of this standard sealed pattern card - seems like the bottom of the card has been cropped.

Regards

Chris
Old 30-08-09, 02:32 PM

Here you are. The APL one on the left has a "hook" with the stem coming directly from the flat back of the badge. The FRA has a nearly circular ring - no idea how it's attached. This one has been damaged and is distorted.

No sign of a maker's name on either.

Can't really help with how they were administered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hooks.JPG (89.8 KB, 28 views)