British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-08-09, 12:26 AM

Default My New Parchute Regiment Patches

Hello all,

New to the forum and I wanted to post some pics of patches I recently got off evilbay. The first grouping I believe to be repro but I did not pay much so that is OK. Unless someone can tell me different.

The "Parachute 2" titles I am not sure of. I have seen pictures of embroidered ones in Peter Taylor's book but not printed ones like these so please let me know what you think.

I am also including a Pegasus patch, airborne strip and 1 Can Para Bn shoulder title I got about 10 years ago. (Also on evilbay) While I know that the 1 Can Para shoulder title is not issued, I believe that it is a WWII era private purchase as I got it, ans it's twin, froma fellow in the UK and it has the 'feel' of something that old. Anyway I will defer to the "experts."

Cheers,
Denis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_3265.jpg (33.5 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 101_3266.jpg (28.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 101_3271.jpg (42.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 101_3272.jpg (42.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 101_3260.jpg (29.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 101_3261.jpg (36.3 KB, 57 views)
Old 27-08-09, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Denis, Welcome to the Forum.
The 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion is definitely a repro, Pakistani made. It fooled a lot of people, dealers and collectors included.
Old 27-08-09, 06:21 AM

Hello Denis,

I don't think any of the badges you posted are genuine, sorry

A word of warning , never not ever should you buy badges sewn onto bits of battledress material as 99.9% of the time this is done to deceive.

Cheers,

Kev C
Old 27-08-09, 09:04 AM

Hi are the ones stitched onto the BD from ebay and in the description from a house clearance and in a box, if so the seller has been pumping these out for years(they look like his). if your new to ebay its always worth looking at there other items for sale and what they have been selling before.
Old 27-08-09, 11:54 AM

You have an eclectic mix of replica and fantasy insignia, sorry.
Old 27-08-09, 01:42 PM

Well that sucks. At least I didn't pay too much. After finding this site I also now know that my Para Regiment K/C cap badges, one lug, one slider, are repros as they have straight smaller feathers. Again, didn't pay much. I recently bought a brass one with slider from a seller who appeared legit on EBay and it too has the straight feathers.

I have a print I picked up at the airborne museum in Oosterbeek of the Arnhem Bridge on say two and plan to mount the 2 para titles with the brass cap badge on a maroon mat when I frame it. Even though they are fantasy/repro items I think it will look nice and will post pics when it is done.

Denis
Old 27-08-09, 02:24 PM

Along with the 2 para titles above I got a IX Troop Carrier patch from the same vendor. While I defer to the above judgment about the patches I posted above (although I was sure the airborne strip in the 1 CPB group was OK) I believe that the Troop Carrier one is real. It is embroidered on felt, has some age to it and is sewn onto khaki and Ike Jacket? material. If i lift up the corner of the badge it looks to have a black backing but I would have to remove it to be sure. Please give me any comments. Now that I have found this site I hope to become more knowledgeable sine AB/SF items are probably the most reproduced.

Denis

PS: Sorry for the blurriness of the last pic but that was the best I could get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_3267.jpg (51.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 101_3268.jpg (53.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 101_3270.jpg (32.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 101_3269.jpg (19.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 27-08-09, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Denis, You have decided to collect to one of the most reproduced / fantasy pieced areas in the field of militaria. Your approach is great. Learn as much as you can, don't be afraid to ask questions, and when purchasing examples, make sure you have a guarantee of return. All of us have made mistakes in collecting and the only way to avoid them is more knowledge.
Investing in some reference books is also important, and there are several key books, including one by the Forum's Peter Taylor, Allied Special Forces Insignia 1939-1948. Depending on the nation you are collecting there are several others, and if Canadian para is an interest, Ken Joyces' Into the Maelstrom is the key WW2 reference.
Old 27-08-09, 04:15 PM
peter616

Hi Dennis

Could you take a better picture of the straight Airborne back and front for me, as I agree with the other forum members that the parachute badges are not real, the parachute two titles were never printed they had disappered by 1941 early 42 and most printed stuff didnt come into being til late 42 early 43.

Peter
Old 27-08-09, 05:52 PM

Smile

heres a used and unused version, the unused was purchased from Bosleys so i know its the real deal. the yellow thread is silk if this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0840.jpg (59.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0841.jpg (52.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 27-08-09, 05:56 PM

Talking

sorry heres the backs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0842.jpg (76.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 27-08-09, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter616 View Post
Hi Dennis

Could you take a better picture of the straight Airborne back and front for me, as I agree with the other forum members that the parachute badges are not real, the parachute two titles were never printed they had disappered by 1941 early 42 and most printed stuff didnt come into being til late 42 early 43.

Peter
Here you go Peter. Please let me know what you think. [Edit] They look very much like the "quality UK-made private purchase" strips mentioned in Into the Malestrom p. 118, plate 201.

Denis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_5547.jpg (42.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 102_5548.jpg (59.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 27-08-09, 07:07 PM

These are supposed to look like the ones with serif font type on cherry (as opposed to maroon) background. However, they are replicas supplied by ebay seller cunnard.
Old 27-08-09, 07:17 PM

Ya that's who I got them from. I think around 2000 or 2001? Can't remember. At the time he said they look and feel real, and that they came from his collection which he assembled in the late 50s. Oh well, like the other stuff I didn't pay much. I was just starting out then too and now with proper reference material and this forum I can look out for more legit stuff.

Thanks for clearing the air Luc.

Denis
Old 27-08-09, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Denis, You have decided to collect to one of the most reproduced / fantasy pieced areas in the field of militaria. Your approach is great. Learn as much as you can, don't be afraid to ask questions, and when purchasing examples, make sure you have a guarantee of return. All of us have made mistakes in collecting and the only way to avoid them is more knowledge.
Investing in some reference books is also important, and there are several key books, including one by the Forum's Peter Taylor, Allied Special Forces Insignia 1939-1948. Depending on the nation you are collecting there are several others, and if Canadian para is an interest, Ken Joyces' Into the Maelstrom is the key WW2 reference.
Seen the former and plan to get it...bought the latter from Ken Joyce last month along with Out of the Clouds. I was also thinking of getting For King and Country and Geronimo!. Are they good references to have for airborne militaria collecting?

I also plan to get Joyce's upcoming book on the FSSF (the name eludes me at the moment) but is Supercommandos a good ref as well?

Cheers,
Denis