British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-07-09, 11:26 AM

Question LRDG (GAUNT OF LONDON) BADGE

HI ALL,

I HAVE JUST FOUND THIS LRDG BADGE, STAMPED JR GAUNT LONDON. IT IS MADE OF BRASS, AND FITTED WITH TWO LUGS, I AM INTERESTED TO SEE WHAT YOU THINK. I DO BELIEVE IT LOOKS ALRIGHT, BUT I AM IN DOUBT WHETHER GAUNT ACTUALLY PRODUCED THESE BADGES.

THANKS, PHIL
Old 04-07-09, 07:59 PM

Gidday Phil I have seen this one too. I have never seen a GAUNT made one before and certainly I would expect better quality from them. The badge is cast (highly unusual fror GAUNT), the lugs are cast as one piece with the badge and I don't like the darkness on the back (usually a sign of recent lost-wax method casting).

It doesnt mean that good cast examples dont exist (they do with provenance too) - but these are cast then hand finished with files and fret saws on inside legs. This looks smooth and cast on inside edges too.

I will post high res images of what I mean in an album and post the link.

Might pay to get Peter Taylors opinion but I dont like it.
Old 04-07-09, 08:06 PM

New Album with the best scans you will see.....

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=318

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumua View Post
Gidday Phil I have seen this one too. I have never seen a GAUNT made one before and certainly I would expect better quality from them. The badge is cast (highly unusual fror GAUNT), the lugs are cast as one piece with the badge and I don't like the darkness on the back (usually a sign of recent lost-wax method casting).

It doesnt mean that good cast examples dont exist (they do with provenance too) - but these are cast then hand finished with files and fret saws on inside legs. This looks smooth and cast on inside edges too.

I will post high res images of what I mean in an album and post the link.

Might pay to get Peter Taylors opinion but I dont like it.
Old 05-07-09, 03:53 PM
peter616

Default LRDG

GAUNT never made LRDG badges

peter
Old 05-07-09, 10:01 PM

Default LRDG badge Gaunt

Hi

In the LRDG reference book The Kiwi Scorpions it is mentioned (page 81) that in 1945 J. R. Gaunt and Son made 50 pair of 2nd pattern LRDG badge. These were especially ordered to be worn by LRDG veterans who partcipated in the Victory parade in London.

Regards
Jean-Baptiste
Old 05-07-09, 10:39 PM

just to extend H&J's post a little more here........
The 'pairs' mentioned above, were brass LRDG titles made by Gaunts to go with the 50 cap badges, & all maker marked, according to the book .
Personally, I do'nt like this particular one either, as Shaun says, it's a bit too crude to be a Gaunt badge.
Cheers !
Steve

Last edited by dragonz18; 05-07-09 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-07-09, 11:08 PM

I will ask Bendan wher he got this information from and come back to him. I will also talk to the secretary of the NZLRDG Association and ask if he has any examples of this badge. I havent seen any LRDG titles that are GAUNT marked either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamandJam View Post
Hi

In the LRDG reference book The Kiwi Scorpions it is mentioned (page 81) that in 1945 J. R. Gaunt and Son made 50 pair of 2nd pattern LRDG badge. These were especially ordered to be worn by LRDG veterans who partcipated in the Victory parade in London.

Regards
Jean-Baptiste
Old 06-07-09, 10:15 AM

OK I have got a response from Brendan and am exchanging emails with the guy who told him this fact seeking scans and evidence.

This is what I have so far:

"Victory Parade was in 1946 – a year after the LRDG and SAS were disbanded, both SAS and LRDG paraded (SAS actually had the rare distinction of having two units present in the parade, one marching and one SAS on Commando Jeeps) – Gaunt were commissioned to make LRDG badges for members in the parade and there is some talk that an SAS badge was also made although I’ve yet to have this confirmed by a reliable source. After the war LRDG association had their badges made by a company called Russell King Badges – Russell (or Rusty) being a post war member of 21 and also made the first pattern SAS blazer badges and SAS wire embroidered wings. There have of course been a huge number of restrikes from the Gaunt moulds, not just LRDG badges but all number of badges.

I believe the Gaunt made badge is marked Gaunt and follows the pattern used also by Russell King Badges - double lipped dimpled wheel with a scorpion centre."

No actual document evidence has been quoted yet but will update if it does. Might be a case of "once it is in a book it is fact........."

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumua View Post
I will ask Bendan wher he got this information from and come back to him. I will also talk to the secretary of the NZLRDG Association and ask if he has any examples of this badge. I havent seen any LRDG titles that are GAUNT marked either.
Old 07-07-09, 10:19 PM

more on this......

1) Bendan printed something he was told by an advanced collector who I know.
2) I have exchanged emails with that advanced collector who lives in my city and will catch up with him in a few weeks.
3) The information came from three sources, SAS Association Magazine, LRDG Association magazine and Rusty (regarding reunion badge). No copies of the association mags are available to me to view (anyone seen these articles?).
4) The source does not have one of the GAUNT made badges but he has been told they are the same double lip-dimpled-wheel design as the reunion badge.

If anyone has any more information please share - Peter Taylor anything more to add?

Shaun