British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-05-09, 09:24 PM

Default 1st SAS + Parachute Regt.

Hi
I wonder if anybody can point me in the right direction to try and research a WWII Veteran. I'm not sure if it's even possible.
I recently came across a very nice Medal and badge group + Stable belt. Everything is correct and it all came from the Family of the man. Unfortunately they knew nothing of his Military history. The medal box has his name and serial number. Would it be possible to trace his records from this ?
I assume he served with the Parachute Regiment but I'm not sure how the SAS badges fit in.
I would be very grateful for any pointers.
Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0321.jpg (88.1 KB, 250 views)
Old 19-05-09, 09:47 PM

Default 1 SAS & Parachute Regt

The following is a copy and paste- it may help.

'Army service records are held by Service Number, Rank, Full Name and Date of Birth. It is important that as much of this information as possible is provided, together with the Regiment or Corps if known, to assist in locating the correct record.

Certificate of Kinship
Information from the personal record of a deceased Ex-serviceman/woman can be released only with the consent of the official Next of Kin. The Certificate of Kinship form aims to identify whose consent is required and the data you provide will be used only in connection with your enquiry. This form is retained for 2 years should you have subsequent queries.

There is no charge for enquiries from widows or widowers about their late spouse's service but for all other customers the charge is £30.00. A cheque, bank draft or postal order made payable to 'MOD Accounting Officer' should be included with the completed Certificate of Kinship and Search Document. No other form of payment can be accepted.

To download the Certificate of Kinship form, please click here.

Army Personnel Records and Family Interest Enquiries - Historical Disclosures
The Ministry of Defence (MOD) keeps the records of former members of our Armed Forces for administrative use after their discharge. For more information, click here.

A Subject Access Requests (SAR) form needs to be completed in order to access records.
Records for all ranks in the Army that served after 1920.

The following address should be used for ex-soldiers wishing to access their personal records

Army Personnel Centre,
Disclosure 2,
Mail Point 515,
Kentigern House,
65 Brown Street,
Glasgow,
G2 8EX
Tel: 0845 600 9663

The following address should be used for family members wishing to access records of deceased soldiers

Army Personnel Centre,
Historical Disclosures,
Mail Point 555,
Kentigern House,
65 Brown Street,
Glasgow,
G2 8EX
Old 19-05-09, 09:57 PM

Hi
Thanks for the info. I think the biggest problem I'll encounter is not being family. Still, we'll have a go.
I would also be interested in knowing a little more about the badges. For example why do one set of flashes state Parachute Regiment and the others just Parachute ?
Regards
Old 19-05-09, 10:20 PM

Robbo, you are allowed to apply for the chaps service record, there is a section on the form to be filled in by the next of kin agreeing to your access, so if you are still in touch with the family away you go. I think it costs £30 for a copy of the records, in my fathers case there was a lot of information in them.
Regards,
Bill.
Old 20-05-09, 04:50 AM

Hi
You can apply under the Freedom of Information Act. The MOD will release the file under FOI if you can show that the soldier has been dead for 25 years. A printout of a CWGC entry will do. Otherwise you will need a death certificate or an obituary etc. You do not need the consent of the family unless he has been dead less than 25 years.

The MOD is in fact in breach of the FOI by charging you £30 for the information and that is being challenged elsewhere.

Eddie
Old 20-05-09, 08:16 AM

Hi
I'd just like to thank you for all the information. Hopefully I can at least make a start on some research now.
Robbo.
Old 20-05-09, 09:07 AM

Another quick thought. The stable belt appears to be Royal Engineers Airborne.
Old 20-05-09, 10:21 AM

If the belt is Royal Engineers, any ideas how it fits in with the badges ? or is it possible it was just aquired along the way ?
Old 20-05-09, 01:44 PM

Arn't the metal stripes worn by ACC on the whites? Seems to be a mixed bag....

Tom
Old 20-05-09, 02:07 PM

The belt seems to me to have RE colours and a Pegusus buckle (although it's not very clear) There are of course parachute squadrons RE.

I've seen a variety of people wear pin on stripes including ACC, REME, RE, RAOC, but also RTR. Can't remember any REs but I would not be suprised.
Old 20-05-09, 07:28 PM

How about: joins the RE during WW2 and volunteers for an Abn role (PARACHUTE), moves during the War to 1SAS (1st SAS), end of War SAS disbanded and moves to the Paras (PARACHUTE REGIMENT [introduced 1950]). Stable belt (post war) inkeeping with REs in an Abn Division or Brigade, may even be TA, not sure when that style of (Victor) buckel came in, early RE stable belts had BLUE leather fittings.
Good Luck

Just out of interest what is the third Campaign Star?

Last edited by 54Bty; 20-05-09 at 07:31 PM. Reason: ?
Old 20-05-09, 07:38 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
How about: joins the RE during WW2 and volunteers for an Abn role (PARACHUTE), moves during the War to 1SAS (1st SAS), end of War SAS disbanded and moves to the Paras (PARACHUTE REGIMENT [introduced 1950]). Stable belt (post war) inkeeping with REs in an Abn Division or Brigade, may even be TA, not sure when that style of (Victor) buckel came in, early RE stable belts had BLUE leather fittings.
Good Luck

Just out of interest what is the third Campaign Star?
Not into medal ribbons much but isn't that the Italian campaign star?
Old 20-05-09, 07:44 PM

Yes it is....
Old 20-05-09, 07:49 PM

OK! What is the Campaign Star that does not have the ribbon shown?
Old 20-05-09, 08:34 PM

Hi
The two campaign stars are for France & Germany and Italy.
Another thing to mention was that along with the 5 WWII medals there was also a single medal ribbon ( no medal ), which I identified as the Territorial Efficiency. Green with Yellow edges. I can only assume that he was awarded this also ?