British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-05-09, 01:49 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default Prince Rupert Regiment

Some of you may want to take a look at these. http://cgi.ebay.ca/Rare-Prince-Ruper...3A4%7C294%3A50 and also a not so rare, http://cgi.ebay.ca/Rare-New-Bruswick...3A4%7C294%3A50 Just thought I'd put them on the forum especially the Prince Rupert if it's a good one someone may want to bid. I don't know the seller. I hope this is allowed. If it isn't I'm sure someone will speak up. While we are on the subject, who was Prince Rupert? Ray
Old 18-05-09, 01:53 AM

Here's Prince Rupert's history.
Jo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Rupert_of_the_Rhine

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 18-05-09, 03:26 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Thanks Jo, I was expecting to hear from you on that.
Old 18-05-09, 07:52 PM

Prince Rupert Regiment was a 'one-off' local defense force raised specifically for defense duties in Prince Rupert, BC.

According to Tripp: "The regiment was authorized on October 20, 1942 for local protective duty at Prince Rupert in British Columbia. It was disbanded in 1946."

The PRR was not part of the 6th Div or the 8th Div, and is not included in Tripp's orbat for the Prince Rupert Defenses, at least by that name. Also isn't, as far as I can tell, listed in Concise Lineage. Could have been included in Military District 11, although I can't find it mentioned by name in the "Six Years of War". Found a private site from an RCAF guy from Prince Rupert who mentions them (worth a look if just for the story about the armoured train). That and this line from Six Years makes me think this is the sum total of their strength and duties, though again it's speculation on my part as they are not named:

"In Military District No. 11 (Victoria, B.C.) 516 all ranks were employed, of whom 105 were guarding the drydock at Prince Rupert, while 74 all ranks were allotted to each of three R.C.A.F. stations. This survey includes only troops allotted to definite local tasks."
Old 19-05-09, 04:17 PM

Anyone aware of a legit version of the PRR badge which is not maker marked "Birks"?
Old 19-05-09, 06:47 PM

Birks & Roden Bros. both supplied these. The latter has that firm's 'R' mark on the reverse.
Old 19-05-09, 07:01 PM

Thanks, Doug. Wasn't aware Roden made these too, so I could have been more specific: anyone aware of a legit PRR which is not maker marked at all?
Old 19-05-09, 08:23 PM

I'm alway's a little apprehensive opening posts with Prince in the Title since that unfortunate day and the Prince Albert thread ...
Old 19-05-09, 09:53 PM

Was that the one that started "Do you have Prince Albert in a can"?
Old 20-05-09, 10:54 PM

I see the seller has posted the size (which seems right) and the fact it's got an R makers mark. His pictures are not great but I think the badge is looking legit. Can anyone with a Roden marked badge compare to it and give an opinion? Thanks
Old 21-05-09, 04:39 AM

Here's a good one to compare to - you be the judge. You can see the 'R' on the left pointing machine gun, near the point where the two guns cross. This badge measures 1.654" across; 1.627" high (or nominally 1 5/8" x 1 5/8")
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rupert 001.jpg (61.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg rupert 002.jpg (27.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 21-05-09, 06:08 AM

Default Difference between makers??

Nice example Doug.

I have only seen a couple of these badges up close. Is there a die difference between the Birks and Roden badges or did they share the same Master? Is there a difference in finishes between the two makers? Of examples I have seen in person and in photos most seem to have a similar dark brown/glossy finish to the leaf, however I have seen an example (a Birks, if I recall correctly) that was more of a lighter/duller milk chocolate finish??

Bill M.
Old 21-05-09, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

The Prince Rupert Regiment badges were previously discussed some time ago. That thread can be found here. There are more images, including some with the Roden pattern badge. The badge in that string appears to be a much lighter colour than Doug's example.
Old 25-05-09, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Bit of a bargain. Badge sold for $575 US, which is well under the price asked by many dealers.
Old 26-05-09, 12:07 AM

Yes... I thought it was a bargin also... but I was happy it went for what it did... jim