British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-02-08, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Default Canadian Film & Photo Unit

Here is a little quiz for cloth collectors. Which of the following is a good example of the Canadian Film and Photo shoulder title?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg film and photo orginals.jpg (67.0 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg canadian film and photo repro obv feb 2008.jpg (21.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg film and photo emb repro no 2005.jpg (25.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg film and photo copy oct 2005.jpg (34.3 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by Bill A; 16-02-08 at 06:35 PM.
Old 16-02-08, 06:43 PM

Not sure at all Bill but,

I don't like the second title, as the lettering seems very un-uniform. In the thrid one, the "D" looks odd to me, as does the backing appears to be nylon thread?. In the last one looks like it might be OK, however my feeling is its incorrect owing to the overall proportining of the lettering.

To me the first image looks to be what I would expect to see in a title. Nice uniform letters and overall proportions look normal to me.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 16-02-08, 07:06 PM

Smile bgpipes

My choices are the 2 specimens at the far left,they look very much like the ones in my collection.
Old 16-02-08, 09:33 PM

Well, if I hold my curser over the .jpeg, the title appears My 1st thought though, was the far left pair. I based my choice on style of embroidery and patina.

Greg
Old 16-02-08, 10:29 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

The first one is identical to my 40 year old one which I have here in front of me,(That's cheating ,Isn't it) I don't know if they have been reproducing them that long, Mine is canvas of course, I have never seen a cloth one up close but I believe this one to be authentic. Ray
Old 17-02-08, 01:01 AM

Number 1 think they only wore these from 1941-1946
ted
Old 17-02-08, 01:51 AM

Now this sucks, I examined each and every photo, looking first at the overall image, then at specific areas to come to the conclusion that the second, third and fourth were fakes. I saw nothing in the first image that set off any alarms so I took those to be possible originals.

In reality, all I had to do was run my curser over the images??? WOW too bad that doesn't work in the real world. LOL

I have to say this.... I'm glad my observational skills are still strong.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 17-02-08, 09:10 AM

Smile bgpipes

Nice try Bill, hehehehe! those of us that have seen the good ones up close are hard to fool (not always!) I have owned those 2 good ones for several years, but, I had to pull them to make sure!
Old 17-02-08, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Well that went well didn't it. Always one smart aleck in the group that has to let the secret out.
I didn't even click (no pun intended) on the floating cursor messages. And I even use it myself to preview strings. Good work Greg.
Yes, as was indicated the first pair of images are the authentic titles. At this point I have not seen any good canvas copies of the Film and Photo, but Frank Corring told me that there are some being distributed in Holland? (Along with some good canvas copies of other titles like the 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion. Keep an eye out for these.)
The melton title is much more of an issue. There is a good bit of history on the insignia of the 1 Cdn Para, and the Film & Photo in Ken Joyce's recent book Into the Maelstrom. The provenance of the Film and Photo title is discussed on p 203. The correct example of the embroidered title is also pictured. About 3 years ago titles that appeared to be authentic on the obverse began to appear in significant numbers on ebay and in some dealers stock in the UK. They are good looking on the obverse, as shown in the images at the top of the string, but the reverse tells the story. They have very heavy embroidery, almost a "sphagetti bowl" appearance. They pass the uv test and have a wooly smell, but are reproductions that have been passed off as original titles. After the initial message was circulated among collectors that the mint looking titles were repros, they started to appear on the internet in aged condition. Obviously someone was paying attention.
The only original pattern of embroidered Film and Photo is the pattern in the first image. Comparing it with the repros reveals many differences. It is reassuring that the readers of this string picked up on those differnces.