British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-01-17, 01:10 PM

Default Isle of Man related item

Hello,
I was given a pair of these a long time ago via a badge collector friend who said, with the absence of a crown, they may be shoulder titles.
Although the rim is slightly misshaped in the top section, there doesn't feel as if anything has been removed / broken off.
I have no idea if these are even military related insignia.
Any information on whom may have worn this and when would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0033.jpg (47.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0034.jpg (45.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 22-01-17, 01:22 PM

Pat,

The problem is that virtually everybody who wore or wears a uniform on the IOM wears a variation of the manx badge.

A badge like yours was worn by the IOM Home Guard with an attached kings crown, although most members of the WW2 IOM Home Guard are said to have worn the badge of the Kings Liverpool Regiment.

Sorry I cannot give a positive i.d.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2960.jpg (76.0 KB, 30 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 22-01-17, 01:39 PM

As Peter says, it is very difficult to "pin down" who would have worn these badges, for the reason he states.

I have a number of variations, with and without the Crown which have been worn since Victoria's day by the IoM Police. However, practically every uniformed Government associated agency on the Island has worn them at one time or another.

Dave.
Old 22-01-17, 01:49 PM

Peter,

Looking at your QVC IoM badge with the hanging horn below it reminds me of seeing a similar (if not identical) badge many years ago amongst a collection of Colonial Post Office badges. It would seem that at one time it was worn as a hat badge by postmen on the IoM. I seem to remember that there was also a KC version in the frame. Crossed horns still feature as part of their corporate image.

Dave.
Old 22-01-17, 02:10 PM

Peter, Dave,

Thank you very much indeed for your informative replies.
I had shown these to a few people at fairs with no real success, obviously asking in the wrong place!
Pleased I joined the Forum and am able to benefit from knowledge kindly shared from experienced collectors.
I have one other possible Kings Liverpool Regiment related item in my "unknown / oddity" box that I shall have to post and hopefully again receive opinions on.

Pat
Old 22-01-17, 02:14 PM

If you rotate the badge so that the strap buckle is at the bottom(6 o'clock) it then reminds me of a Scottish clan badge. Could it be a Scottish clan from the IOM ???

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 22-01-17, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
If you rotate the badge so that the strap buckle is at the bottom(6 o'clock) it then reminds me of a Scottish clan badge. Could it be a Scottish clan from the IOM ???
Clan McMann?