British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-04-09, 06:33 AM

Default Special Forces Wings - what and any good ?

I wonder if anyone can identify any or all of these wings / badges ? I am a bit of a sucker for bullion badges because generally they look so attractive. But I also regularly receive emails from certain commercial gentlemen in Pakistan wanting to remanufacture badges for me. I am assured of replication to the higest standards ( better than the original ?) I delete these unsolicited emails but I guess that they do get some business and the fruits of their labours often end up on ebay as original artifacts. They also find their way to collectors all over the world and so one has to be rather careful in deciding on what is real and what isn't. These wings came out of an old collection, but that doesnt mean that they aren't old repros. Can anyone help with identification and whether you think that they are real or bogus. It would be really helpful if you could post a pic of your own real item for everyone's ongoing education.
Many thanks
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sfwings1.JPG (23.3 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg sfwings2.JPG (19.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 16-04-09, 09:46 AM

Default Special Forces wings-what and ay good?

Hi Mike, In reply to your question, I'm not an expert on special forces wings but I can tell you that the large parachute badge in the middle is not a special forces badge but the insignia worn by parachute trained submariners of the British Royal Navy Subsunk Parachute Assistance Group (SPAG) based at the Submarine Escape Training Tower (SETT) at Fort Blockhouse, Gosport, Hampshire and formerly known as the submarine training school HMS Dolphin.

The badge is worn on the cuff and is only worn while activey serving with the SPAG, when not active personnel wear the gold and silver bullion on navy blue parachute wing on the upper arm (until recently it was worn on the cuff) and is the same pattern wing worn by the Royal Marines and Army on their blue No 1 dress uniform, the badge in the bottom right is such a wing and from personal experience both look authentic! However I should point out that in the Royal navy there has been a long tradition that once uniform and badges have been initially issued from stores then further items may be bougt and worn from civilian naval outfitters that produce or sell items made to a specification and pattern authorised by the admiralty (Such tailors being Bauns, Jack Blaire and Barnards) therefore just because an item was not issued from naval stores or have a NATO stock number it does'nt mean that it is not authentic and authorised to be officially worn by members of the Royal Navy.

I hope this is of help to you, I cant really tell you much about the other badges, one looks like a Gurkha wing, one a mess dress or Guards red tunic wing and the other an edward bear lightbulb badge but how autentic they may be I think I'll leave others to comment on!

Regards Tony.
Old 16-04-09, 09:46 AM
L&BH

Hi Mike,

upper left hand corner is SAS mess dress bullion wings. Below is Parachute mess dress regiment wings. Lower right hand corner I'd opt for Para (or RN?) No.1 uniform bullion wings.

Last edited by L&BH; 16-04-09 at 09:52 AM.
Old 16-04-09, 10:51 AM

Wings "black on red" were worn by 2GR.
Old 16-04-09, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

The lower right hand corner ones are for wear on No1 (Blues) Dress so could be from lots of regts and not particulalry para or RM.

Upper RH ones are the 'lightbulb' for parachute qualifed personnel but not serving with AB units.
Alan
Old 17-04-09, 06:11 AM

Thanks for all the interest and really helpful explanations. There are so many para wings around and I have yet to find a book that can identify ( let alone give details of) any of the more obscure wings and badges.
Regards
Mike
Old 17-04-09, 11:28 AM

Try either of Bragg and Turners books for starters. They turn up fairly often on bookstores and ebay.... :-)

Tom