British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-08-16, 03:03 PM

Default Sgt Pilot John McAdam

This framed wing came from a V.F.W post here in states. It appears to have been donated by one Cpl Wm. Graham via John Graham. The information on the attached card is likely an oral re-telling from memory by Cpl Graham as it does not follow along exactly with Sgt McAdams' biographical information. Sgt McAdams' information is available in "Men of the Battle of Britain" by Kenneth G. Wynn.

The recalling of the number and types planes shot down as well as his age of 19 are not consistent. Interesting in that the age while not correct was noted on the card. He was young at the time of his service at least compared to amount of fighting in the air he had seen. The donor Cpl Graham appears to have been a 41 squadron mate of Sgt McAdam. The framing is old and the wing looks good. I felt even with the inconsistencies it was worth putting in my wing collection.

All additional thoughts and input are welcomed. Thanks Jack

Sgt John Mcadam

Born in Gillingham Kent on March 21st 1918. McAdam joined the RAFVR on April 28th 1939 as an Airman/Pilot under Training. He was called to full time service at the outbreak of war and went to 4I TW Bexhill on October 30th. Moved to the 6 FTS Little Rissington on December 9th. With the course completed McAdam was posted to 6O TU Sutton Bridge on June 19th 1940. After converting to Spitfires he joined 41 Squadron at Catterick.

McAdam claimed a DO17 destroyed on September 7th, on this day he crashed at Leonards Drive Drakes Farm Rayleigh after a combat over Hornchurch in Spitfire P9430, the aircraft partially burnt out and was written off, McAdam was unhurt.

On the 23rd he was shot down during a convoy patrol off Dover in Spitfire N3118, McAdam baled out, he was rescued from the sea and admitted to Dover Hospital.

He crashed at Globe Road, Hornchurch on October 12th after his engine cut out on take off. On the 25th McAdam claimed a Bf109 destroyed .

He was shot down by Major Molders on February 20th 1941 over Dover in Spitfire P7302. He baled out but was picked up dead from the sea.
McAdam is buried in Ballharry Cemetery Island Magee County Antrim."

Last edited by irish; 27-08-16 at 04:36 PM.
Old 27-08-16, 03:12 PM

wing s a fine ww2 issue
Old 27-08-16, 04:13 PM

What is the actual provenance, that particular style of wing is certainly not one that I have ever associated with 1939-40.
Incidentally, it is Number 41 Squadron, not "41st" and John McAdam was not Killed in the Battle of Britain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
This framed wing came from a V.F.W post here in states. It appears to have been donated by one Cpl Wm. Graham via John Graham. The information on the attached card is likely an oral re-telling from memory by Cpl Graham as it does not follow along exactly with Sgt McAdams' biographical information. Sgt McAdams' information is available in "Men of the Battle of Britain" by Kenneth G. Wynn.

The recalling of the number and types planes shot down as well as his age of 19 are not consistent. Interesting in that the age while not correct was noted on the card. He was young at the time of his service at least compared to amount of fighting in the air he had seen. The donor Cpl Graham appears to have been a 41st squadron mate of Sgt McAdam. The framing is old and the wing looks good. I felt even with the inconsistencies it was worth putting in my wing collection.

All additional thoughts and input are welcomed. Thanks Jack

Sgt John Mcadam

Born in Gillingham Kent on March 21st 1918. McAdam joined the RAFVR on April 28th 1939 as an Airman/Pilot under Training. He was called to full time service at the outbreak of war and went to 4I TW Bexhill on October 30th. Moved to the 6 FTS Little Rissington on December 9th. With the course completed McAdam was posted to 6O TU Sutton Bridge on June 19th 1940. After converting to Spitfires he joined 41 Squadron at Catterick.

McAdam claimed a DO17 destroyed on September 7th, on this day he crashed at Leonards Drive Drakes Farm Rayleigh after a combat over Hornchurch in Spitfire P9430, the aircraft partially burnt out and was written off, McAdam was unhurt.

On the 23rd he was shot down during a convoy patrol off Dover in Spitfire N3118, McAdam baled out, he was rescued from the sea and admitted to Dover Hospital.

He crashed at Globe Road, Hornchurch on October 12th after his engine cut out on take off. On the 25th McAdam claimed a Bf109 destroyed .

He was shot down by Major Molders on February 20th 1941 over Dover in Spitfire P7302. He baled out but was picked up dead from the sea.
McAdam is buried in Ballharry Cemetery Island Magee County Antrim."

Old 27-08-16, 04:32 PM

Frank, there are a number of inconsistencies. 41 vs 41st must be an "Americanism" but you are correct. As far as wing style being 39-40 I cannot comment as my learning curve is still in progress

As you noted the date of his death does fall outside the official Battle of Britain timeline if that is what you are referring to.

I am reluctant to try and explain away any of the information on the card as it is anyone's quess what the intent was. No provenance at this point and more of a story as anything. I bought the wing and am unsure of the story, but interesting. From what I am surmising from the person I got it from Ohio was the VFW location.

Best
Jack
Old 27-08-16, 05:04 PM

Hello Jack,
Okay, well it is certainly an original wing, but, I hope you only paid for that and nothing else.
This sort of thing has to either have a first hand provenance, i.e. it was given to you by the original owners family or it needs to be part of a documented group which includes other contemporary items, otherwise, best left well alone.

Regarding John McAdam, I knew three members of 41 Squadron very well indeed, who had served with him, including Squadron Leader Maurice Brown AFC, who actually witnessed McAdam's death, he retired and lived here in Cheshire until his death some five years ago.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Frank, there are a number of inconsistencies. 41 vs 41st must be an "Americanism" but you are correct. As far as wing style being 39-40 I cannot comment as my learning curve is still in progress

As you noted the date of his death does fall outside the official Battle of Britain timeline if that is what you are referring to.

I am reluctant to try and explain away any of the information on the card as it is anyone's quess what the intent was. No provenance at this point and more of a story as anything. I bought the wing and am unsure of the story, but interesting. From what I am surmising from the person I got it from Ohio was the VFW location.

Best
Jack
Old 27-08-16, 06:01 PM

Hello Frank, my first inclination was to remove the wing from the frame but have held off. There was just enough in the card to keep me from discarding it. Interesting you knowing three members of 41 Squadron.

I know everyone was young once but am still amazed and in deep respect for the young lads of that era.

Thanks
Jack