British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Photographs of Australian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-05-16, 05:27 PM

Default HMAS FAA Rating photo

Not too long ago I acquired this studio photo of an HM Australian Navy FAA rating. I had never seen a good clear photo of an HMAS FAA rating & I thought this was an excellent example. H

He was an Aircraft Handler with two stars on his rate badge(right sleeve), with a singe GCB (Good Conduct badge) on his left sleeve. I expect he is likely qualified for leading rate as well. His ship was HMAS Albatross.

I expect 2WW period but I have no idea of his name, at the bottom of the print is signed what I think is the photographers studio, but on the reverse is handwritten a name, handwriting not too good, looks like "mother" [?]

Thought some of our Australian mates like to view (&/or comment on) the photo....

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMAS sailor full.jpg (33.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg HMAS sailor cap.jpg (37.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg HMAS sailor cap GCB.jpg (40.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg HMAS sailor rate.jpg (37.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg HMAS sailor.jpg (38.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg HMAS sailor signat.jpg (40.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg HMAS sailor rev.jpg (48.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 13-05-16, 07:27 PM

Thanks Bryan

HMAS Albatross was a seaplane carrier built in Australia and entered service in 1929. We gave her to UK as part payment for HMAS Hobart in 1938 so some dates for the period.

There was also a depot named Albatross, but post WW2.
Old 15-05-16, 04:21 AM

Default HMAS FAA Rating Photo

Hello Bryan, bit of info . . .

The RAN did away with the stars on the right-arm rate around 1964. Ratings from Ord, through to Able Rate and Leading Rate all wore the same (star-less) right-arm badge. POs wore a crown above the device. Around end of 1964 or early 1965 (I forget) "Australia" flashes were introduced to be worn on both sleeves just below the shoulder seam. These came in gold or red thread for ratings' No. 1,2, and 3 uniforms. The Australia flashes may have had something to do with the country's involvement in Vietnam. The White Ensign was changed to the Australian Ensign about the same time . . . to differentiate Aussie warships which were operating off Vietnam from RN ships, I suppose. Anyway, NAS (Naval Air Station) Nowra - HMAS Albatross was commissioned in 1948, so that makes your picture taken most likely between 1948 and 1964/5. On a tonsorial note the lad's haircut looks 1950s - ish.

Regards - Lawrence

Last edited by elgee45; 15-05-16 at 08:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 15-05-16, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
Thanks Bryan

HMAS Albatross was a seaplane carrier built in Australia and entered service in 1929. We gave her to UK as part payment for HMAS Hobart in 1938 so some dates for the period.

There was also a depot named Albatross, but post WW2.
Intrigued by the name I followed up on the histories of HMAS (and also HMS) Albatross and found this:

http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chr...-Albatross.htm

A fascinating record of service that in effect ended in Aug 44 when torpedoed off Normandy beaches. Mike
Old 15-05-16, 01:12 PM

Thank you for your comments & links mates, I had looked up HMAS Albatross & found out some of her pre war & 2WW history.

I assume this photo was taken when she was in RAN service(pre '39) judging by the HMAS Albatross cap ribbon, but perhaps pre war - did the RAN wear non ship name HMAS only cap ribbons during 2WW as did the RN & RCN?

Be interesting to actually find out his identity? Don't feel much of a clue with the poor handwriting on the reverse.

Again, appreciate your feedback!

Bryan
Old 15-05-16, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgee45 View Post

The RAN did away with the stars on the right-arm rate around 1964. Ratings from Ord, through to Able Rate and Leading Rate all wore the same (star-less) right-arm badge. POs wore a crown above the device. Around end of 1964 or early 1965 (I forget) "Australia" flashes were introduced to be worn on both sleeves just below the shoulder seam. These came in gold or red thread for ratings' No. 1,2, and 3 uniforms. The Australia flashes may have had something to do with the country's involvement in Vietnam.

Regards - Lawrence
Hi Lawrence,

I thank you for the information concerning the RAN rate badge change. The RCN went thru a similar change during 1949 when a definite attempt was made to "Canadianize" our Navy. & this at the time was quite a good move . The stars & crowns were abolished & a new set of rate badges was issued commencing early in 1950, many of the old designs were retained but many of the badge designs were new & the result was a very attractive set of rate badges that lasted until the 1970 period when the Canadian Forces underwent a not so great period of change.
Like the RAN, the RCN retained the gold, red & blue embroidered badges with the distinctive (but improved) ratings uniform.
Canada shoulder flashes were introduced in the RCN during 2WW.

Bryan
Old 15-05-16, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Anyway, NAS (Naval Air Station) Nowra - HMAS Albatross was commissioned in 1948, so that makes your picture taken most likely between 1948 and 1964/5. On a tonsorial note the lad's haircut looks 1950s - ish.

Regards - Lawrence
Thanks for that new information -- I was unaware that HMAS Albatross subsequently became a NAS in 1948 - that is new information for me, then that means this photo could easily be post 2WW period. I agree with you on his hairstyle. No idea if he might have had 2WW service, perhaps he was a post war entry, in any event he is not wearing 2WW service ribbons, so presumably he was a post war entry. We may never know unless it is possible to ID him!

Again, thanks for your input!
Bryan
Old 15-05-16, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
I expect 2WW period but I have no idea of his name, at the bottom of the print is signed what I think is the photographers studio, . . . [?]
If the photographer's ID, then it might possibly be by this gent.

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/wils...e-george-12048
Quote:
Lawrence George Wilson (1920-1980), photographer, . . .

In 1945 the Wilsons opened a photographic studio in Moorabool Street. Much of their living came from photographing wedding parties and formal groups of débutantes, posed in accordance with the custom of the day. . . . . . In 1962 he underwent an operation for cancer. He and Gwen sold their studio and lived on a pension. They sent their files of negatives to the municipal tip. . . .
If the photo was by that photographer, then it is likely that it is dated between 1945 to 1962.
Old 15-05-16, 07:52 PM

This may be a longshot, but I came across this photo while looking through the July 18, 1958 issue of "Navy News". (page 12) http://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default...ly-18-1958.pdf

The proud father does bear a resemblance to the sailor in your photo and the rate badge seems to match.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAN proud father.jpg (31.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 16-05-16, 09:05 AM

Default Coombe, Barrie Francis

From the National Archives of Australia. A bit out, timeline-wise . . . dunno.

Coombe, Barrie Francis. D.O.B. 22-Nov-1935, Place of birth: Taree, NSW. Enlisted (RAN) 08-Apr-1958. Place of enlistment: Sydney. Home port: Sydney.
O/N: R50179.

Naval Airman, Aircraft Handler. Promoted to Leading Airman AH 10-Aug-1963. Chief Airman AH 14-Feb-1969.

Multiple postings to HMAS Albatross.

Don't know when he paid off. The archived scanned images only go to 1970.

Regards - Lawrence

Last edited by elgee45; 16-05-16 at 09:09 AM. Reason: added stuff
Old 16-05-16, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder1916 View Post
This may be a longshot, but I came across this photo while looking through the July 18, 1958 issue of "Navy News". (page 12) http://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default...ly-18-1958.pdf

The proud father does bear a resemblance to the sailor in your photo and the rate badge seems to match.
Thanks! could be him, can see some likeness but hard to really be certain with a profile shot.

Bryan
Old 16-05-16, 12:52 PM

Quote:
From the National Archives of Australia. A bit out, timeline-wise . . . dunno.

Coombe, Barrie Francis. D.O.B. 22-Nov-1935, Place of birth: Taree, NSW. Enlisted (RAN) 08-Apr-1958. Place of enlistment: Sydney. Home port: Sydney.
O/N: R50179.

Naval Airman, Aircraft Handler. Promoted to Leading Airman AH 10-Aug-1963. Chief Airman AH 14-Feb-1969.

Multiple postings to HMAS Albatross.

Don't know when he paid off. The archived scanned images only go to 1970.

Regards - Lawrence
Thanks for posting Coombe's service information Lawrence,
appears as if he had a pretty good career, likely rec'd the RAN LS medal perhaps

Bryan