British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-01-09, 04:17 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default Cdn Scottish

Another one to check out, Is that a canvas title? http://cgi.ebay.ca/Awesome-WW2-Cdn-S...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 14-01-09, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Ray, Yes appears to be a nice WW2 tunic with canvas titles. The formation patch is the fine quality pale gray 3 CID variety. Interesting observation. Many 3 CID patches seem to have been acquired on a regimental basis or brigade basis. There is quite a variety in patterns found on the different units of the division.
Old 14-01-09, 08:09 PM

It's a pity the the collar is so badly stained.Still a really nice original item.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 15-01-09, 01:50 PM

Hi,

Call me a skeptic...

But... if the tunic was made in May 1944 in Toronto...

What are the chances that it got on that soldier's shoulder in time for D-Day on June 6th...

Which would be at the most one month apart...

Tailor it... pack it... ship the crate to the port... asign it to a ship and wait for the next convoy... travel across the Atlantic... get into port... unload... ship to Quartermaster... unpack... sort and distribute... but what was the dude wearing in the meantime!

Mala Fide
Old 15-01-09, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Creative marketing. The fact is that most uniforms that are on the market are the coming home tunic of the soldier. In quarter master stores, the tunic was taken off the shelf and issued to the fellow on the basis of size. Sometimes older uniforms were issued much later in the war. (Eg 1943 dated may have been issued in 1945.) The tunic dating is not that critical, but as Patrick indicates it would be virtually impossible for the May dated tunic to be in the unit by June, and then on top of that survive 10 months of operations.
The field battledress was not the uniform the soldier wore once they were out of action. Usually the "field" uniform was too dirty or damaged to be worn any more, and was withdrawn and replaced. At the end of hostilities, and for repatriation, Canadian soldiers were usually issued a new battledress which they "dressed" with insignia. These were the tunics that they came home in, and the tunics that are on the market in most cases.
Old 15-01-09, 03:35 PM

Following what's already said...

The thing that "bugged" me was :
Quote:
Awesome original WW2 "Canadian Scottish Battle Dress Tunic" that is for the "3rd Canadian Division" was worn on "D-Day" and is named to a soldier "Dunn".
I don't want to get banned... (I'll rectify my post if I'm of course)

So please don't consider this an attack on this particular seller... as there are multiple occurance of anachronism sold every day at auction.

But the Ebay bidders are sometimes gullible... or ill-informed.

If the badges were part of the action on D-Day... fine with me.

But doesn't the arm badges indicate that the soldier was part of the action from 1939-1943.

White stripe is for 1939... plus 4 red stripes (1940, 41, 42, 43)

A year short of D-day and the birth of the suit.

(Or maybe I'm in the clover field on this one?)

Long live Ebay for it financially rounds off the end of the month.
Old 15-01-09, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Patrick, Don't put too much into the overseas stripes. They represent the years of service, but are not necessarily up to date for the soldier's service. There was also some confusion on the part of the soldiers as to exactly how many os stripes they could put up. The regulations for the service stripes indicate the silver (white) stripe was for active service prior to September 10, 1940. Then one red chevron for each year of service after that. So white was up to 1940, plus red to Sept 1941, plus red Sept 1942, plus red Sept 1943, plus red Sept 1944. The final red chevron would not have been earned until Sept 1945. Qualification period closed on Dec 31, 1945.