British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-02-15, 09:44 PM

Default Indian Home Guard?

Hello Gents,

Can anyone ID this badge? I've taken a guess and believe it may be Indian due to the English and possibly sanskrit writing.

Thanks

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Indian.jpg (100.7 KB, 65 views)
Old 07-02-15, 11:04 AM

To be honest I'd like to hear somebody translate the Sanskrit into English first. The actual Indian Home Guard badge is an eagle in a laurel wreath.

The HG in India isn't army btw, it is an auxiliary police force and was only formed in 1946. It had no WW2 role. It continues to this day.
Old 07-02-15, 04:49 PM

Yes, the 'Home Guard' are actually an auxilliary police unit. The tiger is a fairly common motif in India, for obvious reasons, though surprisingly few units actually feature it on their badges. Judging by the apparent age and general appearance, I wonder if it might be an earlier version of the HG, perhaps organized at the state level, before the group was nationally organized in 1962.
Old 07-02-15, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter monahan View Post
Yes, the 'Home Guard' are actually an auxilliary police unit. The tiger is a fairly common motif in India, for obvious reasons, though surprisingly few units actually feature it on their badges. Judging by the apparent age and general appearance, I wonder if it might be an earlier version of the HG, perhaps organized at the state level, before the group was nationally organized in 1962.
Ref my bold - you could be right.
Old 07-02-15, 08:52 PM

Hello Peter and 'Hussar',

Thanks for your comments. I believe we've come to a general agreement that the badge is probably indian and related to the Home Guard.

I read somewhere on the forum that a book has recently been released detailing Indian badges and I wonder if this publication may shed some light on this badge?

Paul
Old 08-02-15, 06:20 PM

Paul

I have a copy of Ashok Nath's new badge book, but it covers Indian Army badges of the Great War, so no joy there. As far as I'm aware there is no comprehensive work on post-'47 badges of the subcontinent. It would be a mammoth volume, especially as many of the Indian forces, both Army and paramilitary have gone through multiple reorganizations.

Just as an example, the 73rd Carnatic Infantry became 1st Battalion the Carnatic Regiment and is now the 1st Battn the Mechanized Infantry Reg't. Infact, the Guards and the Airborned regiment also contain what were the 1st Battalions of a number of older regiments. All very confusing! And while many of the units have kept their traditions and honours, multiple badges and appointments exist.
Old 29-08-15, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3battalion View Post
Hello Gents,

Can anyone ID this badge? I've taken a guess and believe it may be Indian due to the English and possibly sanskrit writing.

Thanks

Paul
Hi Paul,
The non-English script is in the Bengali language and may relate to Bangla Desh formerly East Pakistan and, before Independence, East Bengal. The 'Bengal' tiger's head motif was also used by the East Bengal Regiment. I can read some of the characters from which it appears that the caption is an abbreviation for "Bengal Home Guard". A closer examination would, of course, have helped to confirm this.
Best regards,
Peter R. Moore
Old 29-08-15, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter monahan View Post
Paul

I have a copy of Ashok Nath's new badge book, but it covers Indian Army badges of the Great War, so no joy there. As far as I'm aware there is no comprehensive work on post-'47 badges of the subcontinent. It would be a mammoth volume, especially as many of the Indian forces, both Army and paramilitary have gone through multiple reorganizations.

Just as an example, the 73rd Carnatic Infantry became 1st Battalion the Carnatic Regiment and is now the 1st Battn the Mechanized Infantry Reg't. Infact, the Guards and the Airborned regiment also contain what were the 1st Battalions of a number of older regiments. All very confusing! And while many of the units have kept their traditions and honours, multiple badges and appointments exist.
A (Quick) Reference Manual on the IA (ISBN 81 7510 114 8 pub. 2000 pgs. 222) . The author's Acks. and Introduction a must read.