British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-02-15, 08:15 PM

Default Canadian Parachute Corps Challenge Coin???

I purchased this as a Canadian Airborne Challenge Coin but when I got it home I realized it's Canadian Parachute Corps. I think I found the original owner....Kenneth Weaver. When were these coins made available and by which organization?

Old 05-02-15, 12:41 AM

That's an extremely rare example Rob...great acquisition!
Old 05-02-15, 12:49 AM

Know anything more about it? When did it become available?

Many thanks!!!
Old 05-02-15, 01:36 AM

Awesome find Rob,

Yes, the 1st Can Para had their own coins produced for their members. They used their service number as their number system.

L/Cpl Ken A. Weaver completed his jump course at Ringway 18 Oct 1943. He jumped into Normandy with A Coy. He was wounded 10 Jun 1944.

Cheers.

Last edited by cw2311; 05-02-15 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-02-15, 01:39 AM

See, I never realized that the Canadian Airborne Challenge Coins were styled or copied from these.
Old 03-11-15, 06:31 PM

Hi Rob,

Ken Weaver was my grandfather. It's amazing what the internet can turn up.

What is the nature of the coin? What would it have been used for? Was it more an identifier, or used for supplies and frivolities?

For a little about the man: he was a proud veteran. He lost most of his knee to a mortar in Normandy as part of the first wave of paratroopers who landed late at night on 5 June 1944. From what I remember of his stories, he was separated from the rest of his men and formed a makeshift unit with Australians and British who were nearby. After the incident with the mortar (which I don't have a date for, I'd love to find out) he was evacuated to England.

One story I remember (a child-friendly one as I was 15 when he died and only 12 when his mind started to go) was after growing sick of their ration packs, he and his unit staked out a small farm and stole a half dozen chickens in the dead of night, which they then plucked and baked in clay.

After returning from Europe and recovering from his injuries he began a career with the Veterans Affairs office. He was also heavily involved with the Legion Branch 69 here in Saint John and until he was hospitalised in 2002 was always a part of their Remembrance Day celebrations.

He married my grandmother, Shirley Burgess, on 24 September 1949 (exactly 39 years before I was born) and had one child, my father Bruce, in 1956. They were big on travel, taking many cruises and spending a couple of months each year in Florida, but he made a point of never returning to Europe. He had no desire to go because for him it was marred by the war. My grandmother took a couple of trips to Greece and to France to visit their nephew, but my grandfather stayed home.

His mobility was never the best due to his false kneecap, and he walked with a cane for most of his life. He made do well enough, though. In the 50s he and some friends built a log cabin as a hunting and fishing lodge out on the Lepreau River. So despite the stiff leg (which he often couldn't bend at all) he lived well.

It was after a full knee replacement that he started to lose his coherence--he was at the hospital for physiotherapy and rehab to get his new knee working properly, but he never really regained mobility.

He spent his last couple of years in the Ridgewood Veterans' Wing and was buried with his maroon beret in the Ceder Hill Cemetery Field of Honour on the West Side of Saint John. His gravestone is etched with the arms of the 1st Canadian Paratrooper Battalion.

I hope this adds something to your little piece of memorabilia. It was exciting for me to find it, especially so close to 11/11.

Last edited by cbweaver; 03-11-15 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 03-11-15, 07:33 PM

Amazing information. Thanks for taking the time to write up back ground information on your grandfather. I always love to hear about veterans lives both during and after the war. Glad to hear he had a good life despite the bad leg.

Thanks again for telling his story
Old 04-11-15, 09:52 PM

Many thanks for that...much appreciated!!! By chance, would you have an image of your grandfather's headstone?
Old 04-11-15, 09:56 PM

BTW...he was wounded on June 10, 1944.
Old 05-11-15, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the information! Where did you find that out?

I don't have a photo on hand right now but I'll head up that way in the next couple of days and snap one. The cemetery is just past the playground I take my son to, so it's not too out of the way. I might be able to dig up a photo of him in uniform, too, if you're interested.
Old 11-11-15, 01:40 AM

Yes please!!! Received the info from another para collector.

It wouldn't be difficult to retrieve his service file.
Old 11-11-15, 01:27 PM

I've contacted my researcher in Ottawa to obtain the service file. Could you drop him a line? Might get it faster and without redactions if a family member is implicated. Once I get it, I'll forward a copy of it to you for free.

Check your private message for contact info.
Old 28-11-15, 02:08 AM

I'm not familiar with the Canadian coin, the American ones started to show up in the early 70s'. These coins were an SF tradition, get challenged at a bar without your coin and you bought the drinks, if you were challenged and was able to present your coin then the challenger bought you the drink. I never lost out, I always had my coin with me. I think the Canadians adapted the routine at some point, probably learned it from us while we were doing a wing exchange. BTW, I earned my Canadian wings at Petawawa with 2 Commando in gusts up to 22 knots, what a fun jump with a great bunch of guys.