British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-11-08, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Default Black Watch badges

On the Canadian Soldier Forum a gentleman posted an interesting question about the inscription on the annulus on Black Watch of Canada badges. As follows:
Hi,

I collect Royal Highlanders(of Canada) cap badges, but I have a question about royal highlanders text on the badge.

Becase on part of the badges I have NEMO ME IMPUTNE LACESSET(this one spell with a E), and on other badges I have: LACESSIT with a I. Cane some body help me out what is the difference. Is that just in maker difference, canadian maker or British maker, or in date era?
Well I hope some body cane help me out, I hope m'n english writing is clear about the question.

Kind regards,

Hans

Does anyone have an answer?
Old 18-11-08, 12:46 AM

Bill,

There was a discussion a while back on this subject which stated the spelling was dependent on the period:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?p=23872

To quote Alan Owen: "If the badge is Lacesset then it is the 1908 design before the spelling was standardised in the 1920s to Lacessit. The scrolls were changed later in the 1930s".

However, on CEF badges for the 13th Bn and the 42nd Bn the spelling is Lacessit. I remember Vern Donaldson telling me the "it" spelling was the only one used on Canadian badges.

Cheers,

Ian.

Last edited by whizzbang; 18-11-08 at 12:55 AM.
Old 18-11-08, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Ian. Checking the standard references, "it" appears that Vern was correct. The only spelling on the St. Andrew pattern badges of Canadian issue were the Lacessit. Thus if one had the "et" pattern it would have to be an imperial badge.
Interesting in that Mazeas indicates the authorization for the Royal Highlanders of Canada badge was 1930 as well.
Old 21-11-08, 11:04 PM

I know of no examples of Canadian (RHC) badges being produced with LACESSET, however, as the 42nd and 73rd wore Imperial-pattern badges it seems likely that either the "I" or "E" badges, in brass/bronze would have been worn.

I know I have a quote somewhere where it states that Lieutenant Colonel Cantlie travelled to the UK and acquired badges and other kit, while the 42nd were being raised. Will have to find it.

I would not be surprised if some members of the 42nd/73rd even wore Imperial Black Watch badges struck in white metal. However, period photos are often unclear to be certain if this was in fact true. Certainly NCOs and officers wore multi-piece, Imperial patterns, of which there exist numerous varieties.

I am also convinced that the 73rd never wore the maple-leaf pattern badge (except as collar badges). Have not found the document stating this but photographic evidence strongly suggests this is the case.
Old 22-11-08, 11:43 PM

Two more photographs showing members of the 73rd Bn. One L/Cpl Arthur G. Rice wearing the Black Watch cap badge and Maple leaf patt. collars. The other, of Lt. Gerald A.Birks (of the well-known Montreal family) showing him in his 73rd Bn. uniform.With a short history about his career in the army and RFC.
Jo
http://www.kingandempire.com/rice1.html

http://www.crossandcockade.com/pdf/Birks.pdf

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 23-11-08, 12:38 AM

Nice photos...as I am writing a history of the 73rd (ongoing for many years now) I really appreciate the heads up on things like this.

Will be starting a thread on this soon as I am obviously in the right forum for it...lots of knowledge here.

2 projects on the go, and will be shamelessly soliciting help from the membership
Old 23-11-08, 01:40 AM

Adam, if I can be of help, just ask. You might like the 73rd recruiting poster.
http://www.museedelaguerre.ca/cwm/ex...-posters_e.pdf

And a 5 minutes movies, showing in the first 2-minutes a recruiter for the battalions of the Black Watch.
http://www.boutiqueonf.ca/enclasse/w...rame_index.php

73rd Medals winners.
http://www.canadiangreatwarproject.c...ards73rdBn.asp

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 23-11-08 at 01:52 AM.