British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-09-14, 06:00 AM

Default Printed Pegasus patch

Can someone confirm for me that this patch is printed on Satin drill No.2 material?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1261a.jpg (71.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1262a.jpg (106.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 14-09-14, 06:10 AM

More photos, this time I used the flash on the camera. Perhaps this will show the weave of the material a bit better. The flash washed out the details in the Pegasus a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1269a.jpg (60.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1270a.jpg (48.9 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Infanteer; 14-09-14 at 06:21 AM.
Old 14-09-14, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Steve. The patch appears to be Cotton Drill No 2. It is a bit coarser weave than the Satin Drill No 2.
Old 14-09-14, 03:46 PM

Interesting, would someone have an example of the satin drill that they could share?

Next question then would be if this is an original pre-1945 example or not. I have another example printed on the same material that was approved by the "experts" several years ago but a knowledgeable friend expressed concern about this patch when I showed it to him a couple of days ago. Perhaps new research has come to light on these that I am not aware of.

Last edited by Infanteer; 14-09-14 at 07:59 PM.
Old 16-09-14, 02:12 PM

Hey guys, I didn't intend to come off as sarcastic when I put the word experts in quotations. I hope that's not the reason why I haven't received any further feedback on this patch. There are some real experts on this forum whose input I would genuinely appreciate.
Old 16-09-14, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Steve. The Pegasus patches were all British acquisition. They were not in the Canadian system. There was a major issue with printing some Canadian insignia in early 1944, plus some complaints about the badges printed on No 2 Cotton Drill which resulted in the change to Satin Drill No 2. I am not sure if Calico Printers switched their entire production to Satin Drill No 2 in 1944, or if it was just the Canadian orders that were switched to that material. To put it in another way, I am not sure if the Pegasus patches were made in Satin Drill No 2.
Old 16-09-14, 04:10 PM

Fair enough. To be clear, you feel that this patch is not satin drill so does that mean that this patch has a chance of being genuine? Ken Joyce mentions satin drill being used for Pegasus patches starting in 1943 IIRC which is what spurred my original post.
Old 29-09-14, 12:29 PM

in times past my only criteria for acquiring a Pegasus patch was if it was genuine or duff. I have no timeline for this example affixed to a BD jacket, suffice to say it is a good thing for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3630.jpg (123.0 KB, 46 views)
Old 30-09-14, 08:37 AM

That's a nice example silverwash and the same as the patch that started this thread. Just for everyone's information, my example has been given the thumbs up by a very knowledgeable collector who wrote a book on the subject.