British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-11-08, 09:22 PM

Default Another puzzling Airborne Wing.

This is another puzzling photograph (from LAC) of a Canadian Private of the RCASC, wearing as the description says "a version" of the Canadian Parachute badge. Rather unusual to wear a wing of this pattern as the usually-known pattern was already in use???? Also, for the Canadian, note that this Pte. is wearing the RCASC title with the Canada title.
If someone has good explanation,for the wing, please do tell.
Jo
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...hqgidkh7g1or52

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 06-11-08, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Jo, That photo is also in Joyce's Into the Maelstrom. It is an unidentified pattern, perhaps it is suggested, even a home made example.
Old 07-11-08, 12:09 AM

Bill, Sorry I don't have that book, but, a home-made example...Good God...in the Canadian Army...in wartime....what the H...L, the hired helps must have had a dozen fits.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 08-11-08, 06:55 PM

does it not appear to be of metal wire type construction?... would this not mean that he is possibly wearing it on the wrong uniform?...
Old 08-11-08, 08:14 PM

Hello jonnynation, in war-time Canada the uniform worn was the Battle-Dress, sometimes the Pat.42 Service Dress was also worn when walking-out.
Jo

Old 11-01-10, 07:17 PM

Default another puzzling Airborne wing

like a lot of period photographs many were heavily touched up. this also included colouring/tinting. in this case, after the photograph had been taken it would appear that the details of the wing "suffered" so were contemporary Photoshopped ( pen and ink )
Old 12-01-10, 04:55 AM

Default P42 Service Dress?

What in 'sam hill' is P42 Service Dress?
Old 12-01-10, 02:34 PM

Glad you asked Ed. Since I bought this book, I found it an invaluable source of great informations. I may have used the wrong nomenclature or description for this Canadian-made uniform. I was referring to page 7 of the book "Dressed to Kill" by the distinguished Canadian author Micheal A. Dorosh CD, fig.5, he calls it the "walking out" or 1942 pattern Service Dress Jacket.
I'm sure Ed, that you will correct me and, tell me the right name for this uniform.I'm truly sorry if I did not used the proper designation and misled some members of the Forum.

Cheers
Jo

Old 13-01-10, 04:32 AM

Default Service Dress

Good answer! Never be sorry, you had the sources to support your statement. I like that!
Old 13-01-10, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

The uniform in the image is the 1939 pattern Canadian battledress, as adopted by Canada from the British battle dress in the fall of 1939. Tyler, Drab Serge and Khaki Drill.
Old 13-01-10, 01:52 PM

Bill, Ed was referring to my misnaming, in post #5 and using a shortcut for the Service Dress Jacket (using P42).
But still, no one came up with an explanation about the wings worn by the Pte. in the photograph.
Jo

Old 13-01-10, 11:28 PM

Actually, Bill mentioned that the wing might be homemade since it is an unknown variation. Also, in your first post you mentioned the Canada titles worn below the RCASC titles.... I may be missing something because I don't see anything unusual or note worthy about this. It was regulation (overseas at least) that if the unit title did not have the word Canada in it that the separate Canada titles would also be worn.