British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-03-14, 03:27 PM

Default Another Arab Legion? Good or bad?

Afternoon gents

This badge came to me in a swap a couple of years ago with a lot of foreign police insignia. I was told at the time that it was Jordanian Police, but a similar badge posted earlier today has been ID’d as Arab Legion.

(http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=38018)

Can anyone confirm that identification, and whether it is a good or bad badge please?

If it is good I will eventually offer it for swap or sale, if bad it’ll go in the junk box.

Many thanks

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04Mar2014 002b.jpg (58.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 04Mar2014 008b.jpg (61.5 KB, 27 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 04-03-14, 03:59 PM

Default Arab legion badge

This looks as though it was sandcast, possibly made as a replacement badge, maybe genuine, but sandcast nonetheless.

Rob
Old 04-03-14, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal View Post
Afternoon gents

This badge came to me in a swap a couple of years ago with a lot of foreign police insignia. I was told at the time that it was Jordanian Police, but a similar badge posted earlier today has been ID’d as Arab Legion.

(http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=38018)

Can anyone confirm that identification, and whether it is a good or bad badge please?

If it is good I will eventually offer it for swap or sale, if bad it’ll go in the junk box.

Many thanks

Graham
Graham,

In the 1960's I was sent an identical badge (in design) by the Jordanian Police who told me that it was their current headdress badge. I've seen photos of it being worn on a peaked cap and also on an Arab headdress. I have seen an identical badge in a gold coloured metal which is apparently worn by the Jordanian Army. In fact the former King of Jordan (can't recall his name but deceased now) was often pictured wearing it when in uniform. I hope this is helpful.

Dave.
Old 04-03-14, 06:29 PM

The answer to this question is complicated. In the first place this is an Arab Legion badge - The Arabic reads Al Jaysh al Arabia - which literally translates at "the Arab Army" which was the name used during the WW1 Arab Revolt.

But it could have been worn by a policeman because when the Arab Legion was raised it consisted of both soldiers and police. Their badge was white metal.

After the AL became the Jordan Army (1956ish) they wore the same badge in gilt. The police had a very similar badge in WM but the Arabic reads Police. There is alos a general security badge with different wording. See below.

This one is sand cast and quite possibly OK. It could equally be a fake. Your choice.

Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg civil def copy.jpg (80.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg gen copy.jpg (88.4 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Eddie Parks; 03-07-14 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-03-14, 09:39 PM

Rob, Dave and Eddie

Thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated. I think I’ll hang on to it for the time being but I’ll also keep an eye open for something more obviously ‘police’ from Jordan to go in my display - I’m in no rush, I’ve still got something like 160 countries to go.

Best

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.