British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-11-13, 07:12 PM

Default Researching a soldier

Trying to find more information on a soldier for a friend.

His name was John James Doherty from Convoy in Co. Donegal, Ireland. He served in the Boer War and in WW1 - he was wounded in WW1. That's pretty much all I know (I've asked my mate for more info).

I know that's very sparse info but it's all I have for the time being. Don't know his service number, regiment or even DOB/DOD...

Do I stand any chance?
Old 13-11-13, 07:33 PM

Needle in a haystack job without his regiment or number.

The only John Doherty from Co Donnagal I can find on Ancestry was declared a deserter in 1914 so not so sure its your man.
Old 13-11-13, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
Needle in a haystack job without his regiment or number.

The only John Doherty from Co Donnagal I can find on Ancestry was declared a deserter in 1914 so not so sure its your man.
No don't think so and unfortunately Doherty is a very common name in Donegal - think Smith in the UK.

I'll ask him more tomorrow, see if I can at least get a regiment. Thanks for the help
Old 13-11-13, 09:02 PM

OK so there's a JJ Doherty in the Highland Light Infantry around the right time. Would this help?
Old 13-11-13, 11:46 PM

Hiya

If he got a SWB there might be a record of that.

Cheers

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 14-11-13, 12:30 AM

Excuse my ignorance but what's that?

Brian
Old 14-11-13, 12:41 AM

Brian,
It's a Silver War Badge issued to soldiers who were no longer fit for military service through wounds, injury or illness.
Eddie

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=83577
Old 14-11-13, 12:45 AM

Brian

Silver War Badge.
http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/swbrecords.html

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 14-11-13, 12:53 AM

Thanks fellas! I'll get on to him again tomorrow
Old 14-11-13, 08:51 AM

I see you've repeated your post on the 1914-18 Invisionzone site. That's probably where you'll get your answers from, if any exist. They're a very switched on bunch over there on this type of thing. Not to know this site of course but in my experience they've a very wide range of skills on the 14-18 site.
Old 14-11-13, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
I see you've repeated your post on the 1914-18 Invisionzone site. That's probably where you'll get your answers from, if any exist. They're a very switched on bunch over there on this type of thing. Not to know this site of course but in my experience they've a very wide range of skills on the 14-18 site.
Yeah, I thought they'd be worth getting in touch with - they've already come up with one good lead too
Old 14-11-13, 09:34 AM

There were three soldiers by the name of John Doherty served in the Boer war with 2nd Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers - not uncommon for 2nd initials to be missing - could be one of those ?

PL
Old 14-11-13, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
Yeah, I thought they'd be worth getting in touch with - they've already come up with one good lead too
I still have an account there too. It actually helps me stay in touch with friends in the ROI who aren't on this or my regimental site. Michael Pegum for example who runs the Irish War Memorials site. I came across him in 2004 when researching the Smith Memorial at TCD.
Old 14-11-13, 11:33 AM

They seem a very switched on bunch!

Also, my mate reckons JJ Doherty was in the HLI as the census record he found was correct...does that help? The census was 1911 so pre war...
Old 14-11-13, 11:44 AM

Well it certainly helps and it makes sense. Given that many of the HLI were Glaswegian it stand to reason that someone from Donegal could have finished up there. Now that you think you have narrowed it down to one man from the HLI though you could do a search on the Imperial War Museum site for his medal index card which will give you his service number and that should be of immense value in future searches.