British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-07-13, 05:29 PM

Default IRISH BADGE EXPERTS HELP NEEDED

SOME BADGES THAT I'M LOOKING FOR OPINIONS ON. AS CAN BE SEEN I'M INTO WELSH SO I'LL WILL BE SELLING THEM ON. IF INTEREST LET ME KNOW.

P7050031.jpg

P7050032.jpg

P7050012.jpg

P7050013.jpg

P7050020.jpg

P7050022.jpg

P7050018.jpg

P7050019.jpg

P7050016.jpg

P7050017.jpg

P7050025.jpg

P7050026.jpg

P7050027.jpg

P7050023.jpg

P7050024.jpg

Last edited by BROOKIES; 05-07-13 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-07-13, 11:10 PM

I'm no expert, but the Dublin Fusiliers,4th Dragoons,NIH QC look good to me.The inniskillings and 5th lancers I do'nt like,lack of sweatholes do not inspire confidence.The connaughts has a chance but you need other opinions.

I bow to John's superior knowledge below and I for one would classify him as an expert.BTW was the CR badge on *Bay? looks like the link here http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONNAUGHT-RA...#ht_155wt_1170
sorry just saw they are all for sale on ebay.

Last edited by connaught; 10-07-13 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-07-13, 12:42 AM

I do not claim to be an expert on anything badge related. I do take an interest in Irish regiments and if my opinion is worth anything I shall give it here.

I dislike the Connaught Ramgers badge as is appears to be cast which I would be very suspicious of. It is the 1896 design replaced by the 1901 design. The lug position is correct and the voiding OK and whereas 2Bn Connaught Rangers were stationed in Meerut, Bengal in the period 1897-1900 I find it a stretch to think they had to take delivery of a master to have cast badges made locally for the FSC. Perhaps I am wrong and maybe the badge is not cast and it is just the photo that makes me think so. What is your opinion of it?

The 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons is a well known reproduction as evidenced by the lack of sweat holes, non voided windows and extra rows of bricks above the central tower in my opinion. If you search the forum you should find many threads on this topic.

The 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards and the Royal Dublin Fusiliers look more promising but I am suspicious of the rough sweatholes on both badges and the poor definition of the front of the RDF. Let's see what other's think.

The 8th (Irish) Battalion, The Kin's Regiment officers badge with slider used to be thought of as an automatic reproduction. KLR has the most up to date research on this item, you should seek out his opinion. It is widely faked.

I personally dislike the strike of the North Irish Horse with the non voided area between the maid's neck and the harp because all the well known sellers of fakes have this version.

Unfortunately I believe the 5th (Royal Irish) Lancers is a reproduction due to the solid nature of the back and lack of obvious sweat holes or pinned overlays. If you search this regiment on the forum you should find plenty of information and opinions to help you come to an opinion on the badge.

Sincerely

John

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 10-07-13 at 12:52 AM. Reason: added 5th Lancers observation
Old 10-07-13, 01:41 AM

John,
The North Irish Horse QC looks OK but the North of Ireland IY looks like another fake.
Eddie