British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-07-13, 09:18 PM

Default Have you done any medals mounting?

Hi all,

I just finished my 3rd medal group mounting and would like to share some pictures. Also guys, does any of you mount your collection as well or keep them as they are? In my opinion, it is greatest way to represent groups + gives some guarantee that the group stays together.
Original ribbons are nice to keep separately without any damages to them.

Ok, here we have some lose medals from the one men set...

then some extra ribbons from junk box...

now, two evenings work and the result looks like this (yes, I know, I forgot to check Star ribbon colours order) and I am pretty happy

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 04-07-13, 09:21 PM

backs...

side way...

(some VM and star ribbon folds are fixed now)

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 05-07-13, 02:27 AM

Nice work. Did you use Perspex or stiff plastic as the backing under the felt? I find that works ok except that you have to drill the holes.
Ed
Old 05-07-13, 03:09 AM

Very nice. Other than the 1914 Star ribbon mix-up, you did a great job!

Andy
Old 05-07-13, 06:10 AM

These are some that I have done, because mine are for display only they are only mounted on card and I use Pritt rather that a water proof glue.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0738.jpg (75.5 KB, 47 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 05-07-13, 09:13 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback! As I said, its just my third one so I have belnty of space to improve, study, practise and get better with the small details (damn 1915 ribbon on the ribbon bar!).

I was using only cardboard and tape mainly. And of course medals are fixed with the thread.
Actually I am planning to purchase and start using Buckram with the prepared holes. I have heard good feedback regards that material. Perspex is an option as well but I would like to find a piece and "feel" it first.

I have as well very limited amount of special metal court mounting bars but to be honest - I haven't even figured out yet how to use them and if I am ready, I am sure I keep these for a very special groups!

Thanks guys,

Timo

Old 05-07-13, 09:14 AM

PS: 8thfoot - cracker group you have there!
Old 05-07-13, 01:43 PM
Badge Guru

Good starting effort. My first groups were not fantastic. I did a WW2 rack with no overlaps, looks more impressive for sale but not possible for wear!

I tend to leave at least 1/2 inch on either end of the felt backing and tuck that under the ribbon and buckram then stitch it up. I also stitch the top and bottom of the felt to the buckram. I never use glue, unless it is to secure knots that hold the suspenders to the buckram or if the damned cotton breaks!

Getting the folds correct on the WW1 stars can be time consuming. I've got a little trick for those and that is to stitch the folds to the buckram, rather than stitching the ring of the star down. That way I can lift the star to see the reverse and retain neat creases.
Old 05-07-13, 02:45 PM

I see you have the Rosette on the ribbon of the 1914 Star but no '5TH.AUG-22ND.NOV.1914' clasp on the medal.

Peter, I see yours has the Rosette on the medal instead of the clasp.

Marc
Old 05-07-13, 03:13 PM

Default Medal Mounting

This is how it was done by the Master Tailor in Wellington Barracks a few years ago. I suppose if anybody can get it right, he can!
Medals_4.01.jpgMedals_4.02.jpg
Old 05-07-13, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Seconded to who?

Marc
Old 05-07-13, 03:48 PM

That's great tailoring job there Mike!

I hate to use clue as well. That's why I have used actually sticky tape instead (only if there are modern repro ribbons in use).

That's great tip regards the Star ring folds! I will check it out with my next set. Before that I will try to get to buy right materials and proper sewing kit.

Again, great info and thanks for sheering your tips! Lets keep that threat rolling

Regards,

Timo
Old 05-07-13, 05:16 PM
Badge Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
This is how it was done by the Master Tailor in Wellington Barracks a few years ago. I suppose if anybody can get it right, he can!
Attachment 85915Attachment 85916
Good enough to wear, but I would of expected better creases on the MBE ribbon and backing felt. Also when I mount I individually stitch each medal down to the buckram rather move straight onto the next medal. This method enables the use of a mixture of cottons that match the colour of the metal of each medal i.e Silver cotton for the first few and then brown for the last medal.

I'm guessing you needed these doing in a hurry, not a bad effort if it only took a few hours.

A group of 6 or 7 can take me almost 12 hours.

Sorry for the nit picking but when you have mounted as many groups as I have you start to notice minor issues quickly. There really is no wrong or right way to mount, just methods that can be employed that are more hard wearing than others. Not an issue however if the medals are for a collection.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 05-07-13 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-07-13, 07:08 PM

Marc,

It is a Liverpool Scottish thing, they didn't qualify for the clasp but in a lot of cases wore the rosette anyway. ( The miniatures which go with the full size group also have rosette on the star )

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 05-07-13, 07:28 PM

Last edited by Nozzer; 12-02-18 at 08:14 PM.