British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-03-13, 04:52 PM

Default 2nd Bn Railways and Harbours Brigade

Hi, I have just managed to find a 2nd Bn Railways and Harbours Brigade cap badge and thought that I would share it. Regards Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2ndBnRHB.JPG (28.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 06-03-13, 05:55 PM

Nice find, Andrew. I take it this was the first incarnation of the R&H Bde (1919-28), in which case, the 2nd Bn was a Cape Town unit, and was deployed in the suppression of the Rand Revolt in 1922.

Arthur
Old 06-03-13, 05:59 PM

Hi Arthur, thank you for the info. I am sure the badge is the early version. I am not sure about the title. Owen has it as 1920's and Dudley and Curson have it as WW2. It is nice to put a bit of history with it. Have fun. Andrew
Old 07-03-13, 08:33 AM

Hi Andrew,
Very nice find. This is only the second of these I have seen and I am yet to see the same badge to the First R&HB. This design is the same as the WWI period Railways & Harbours Rifles badges.

The Railways and Harbours Rifles (1915/16 - 1920) used this design badge along with union coat-of-arms collars and title R.H.R

The Railways and Harbours Brigade (1921 - 1929) in my opinion wore the same cap badge but with the wording changed from 'Railways and Harbours Rifles' to 'First Railways and Harbours Brigade' and 'Second Railways and Harbours Brigade'. These were worn with the same union collars as the RHR and titles 1stRHB or 2ndRHB. Note lack of Afrikaans/Dutch in the naming.

The R&HB was reconstituted in 1940 and this is when the winged wheel badge was adopted with the flaming grenade collars and RHB/SHB titles.

The above is my opinion and a logical deduction based on the known information. Sam foote and subsequent books say the winged wheel and flaming collars were adopted in the 1920's with the formation of the R&HB but without concrete evidence, I tend to disagree.

If someone does have concrete evidence (Official documentation and or photographs) I would be happy to change my statements.

Regards
Steven
Old 07-03-13, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
The Railways and Harbours Brigade (1921 - 1929) in my opinion wore the same cap badge but with the wording changed from 'Railways and Harbours Rifles' to 'First Railways and Harbours Brigade' and 'Second Railways and Harbours Brigade'. These were worn with the same union collars as the RHR and titles 1stRHB or 2ndRHB. Note lack of Afrikaans/Dutch in the naming.

The R&HB was reconstituted in 1940 and this is when the winged wheel badge was adopted with the flaming grenade collars and RHB/SHB titles.

The above is my opinion and a logical deduction based on the known information. Sam Foote and subsequent books say the winged wheel and flaming collars were adopted in the 1920's with the formation of the R&HB but without concrete evidence, I tend to disagree.
I have no concrete evidence either way, but looking at the dates, it's not implausible that the badge was changed in the 1920s.

The 1st and 2nd Battalions were the original units of the brigade, established in December 1919. The individually named Maltese cross badge and the individually numbered shoulder titles fit those two units.

In June/July 1922, the brigade was enlarged to include 1st and 2nd Armoured Trains, 3rd - 10th Battalions (transportation), an intelligence section, two railway supply companies, and a medical company. Except for the armoured trains, the brigade was disbanded in December 1928.

The new units would have needed badges in 1922. Unless they were also to be given individually named badges and individual shoulder titles, it may have been more practical to have a single badge and title for the whole brigade, including the infantry battalions.

According to Curson, all the units wore the same helmet flash. That could well point towards a decision to identify the brigade as a whole rather than individual units.

This is speculation on my part. A trawl through The Nongqai and SAR&H staff magazines of the period may yield concrete evidence -- some day.

Arthur
Old 07-03-13, 05:04 PM

Hi Steven and Arthur, Thank you for the info. I would also like to see some concrete proof. I am sure the 2 titles with the numbers are fom the 1920's, as is the badge I found. It is possible that the 1st Battalion used the standard badge and the 2nd had a badge made. But either way, it would be good to see a photo or something to settle it finally. Have a grand evening. Andrew
Old 07-03-13, 07:43 PM

The SAR&H Magazines of this period have amazing pictures of these chaps. I will try and get my father to pull some from the Railway Historical Groups library.

I will be in CT sometime in the next 10 days.

Brian
Old 10-03-13, 03:26 PM

Hi Brian, I look forward to seeing the pictures. It will put a lot of questions to rest. Enjoy your trip. Regards Andrew