British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-01-13, 09:29 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Default Units you never came across

Reading the thread about the ALS or ALC I was taken to thinking about units that I never came across in my rather inglorious service as a STAB Signaller. I have to say that I never saw a Cavalry unit but met loads of Marines, mainly via Tregantle Camp. Guards were rare other than a Cpl Mjr who transferred to us for his 'run down' to civvy street. Never came across the Dental mob or ALS. Some infantry units such as Welsh ones but did meet the whole of 8LI at Wathgill once and Gurkhas appeared almost magically from somewhere near Longmoor.
Bit of a daft thread but it would be interesting
Old 28-01-13, 09:58 PM
Banned

An interesting thought Matti,

And as a Sapper our Motto ‘UBIQUE’ was most apt, having been proud to serve alongside, in theatre with, train, be trained by, support, be sh@t on and and admired by almost every cap badge I can think of at some stage in my short and eventful army career.

Not to forget soldiers of other nations, but maybe that one is best left for another day.

As for higher formations, we were usually made very welcome at Bn HQs, tolerated at Brigade but usually detested as Div, ‘orrible bunch of p*ss taking sadists that we were most of the time and I have to admit personally to testing the sense of humour of many a cap badge’s Sarn’t Major, usually with the desired effect of watching them steam at the ears whilst beating a hasty retreat before they could get my name.

As the song goes:

“We are, we are, we are, we are The Royal Engineers and we don’t give a f@ck about anyone else and they don’t give a f@ck about us!

Just my perspective on your thread mate and I’m sure someone sensible will come along soon

Ry
Old 28-01-13, 09:59 PM

I don't think I have ever come across any unit!!

sorry,

Phil
Old 28-01-13, 10:00 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Hmmm...what can follow that and the thread is pretty light hearted in the first place!
Old 28-01-13, 10:14 PM
Banned

Oh dear,

Getting a bit like ARRSE isn't it. 'nuff said.

Ry
Old 28-01-13, 10:16 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Ok, change it to cap badges from the pre 1992 poster that you never saw being worn...DERR
Old 28-01-13, 10:20 PM

Only ever saw one! I was only 9 in 1992, Royal Engineers.

Phil

p.s. sorry about the other post, please blame the Herts Pals for their influence on me
Old 29-01-13, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post

Phil

p.s. sorry about the other post, please blame the Herts Pals for their influence on me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
I don't think I have ever come across any unit!!

Phil
You should have seen the one I was with the other night then........a right big unit she was.

Regards
Brian.... a naughty Herts Pal
Old 30-01-13, 03:08 AM

Default Bombardier Guards and The Lennox Highlanders

Despite serving alles über der gaff for half a lifetime and serving together with many different regiments and units, I never did see the Royal Loamshire Souvenirs, 3rd Foot & Mouth or the Duke of Manchester's Own.

Also never saw any of these... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tish_regiments

3rd Regular Army Deserters, 3rd Disgusting Fusiliers, 3rd Armoured Thunderboxes, 6th Heavy Underwater Artillery and 3rd Mounted NAAFI. Ha ha ha! Outstanding.

A very humorous list and worth close scrutiny if you are looking for some hilarious entertainment.