British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-07-12, 07:47 PM

Default RAF V.T.R badges & V.R. badges

Put these on hoping to learn what the two Eagles are from my own thoughts are they could be off an A.O.C. rank shoulder board? any suggestions appreciated. Also picked up these recently the small V.R,s arent a matched pair but hey-ho the V.T.R would this be Volunteer Transport reserves? any help appreciated also ideas on the eagle Forage cap marked cheers billy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010482.jpg (91.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg P1010483.jpg (98.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg P1010484.jpg (53.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-07-12, 07:54 PM

VR is Volunteer Reserve

VRT is Volunteer Reserve (Training)

The latter are the officers of the ATC and CCF

(Air Training Corps and Combined Cadet Force)

Last edited by Old Sailor; 08-07-12 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-07-12, 11:06 PM
Banned

The VR and VRT badges ate as mentioned. The VRs were worn on the collar by officers, and were officially abolished in January 1943 for RAF officers. (Lower ranks wore VR in cloth on the shoulder).

ATC officers wore them until April 1944 (along with a cloth ATC sleeve badge to distinguish them), before both were abolished and replaced with an ATC collar badge. That in turn was abolished and replaced by the VRT in 1947, with RAF sections generally being raised in CCF units in schools from about 1947.

Both the VR and VRT come in two sizes, the smaller for the tunic collar, the larger for the greatcoat shoulder.

As for the two gilt eagle and crown badges, they were worn on epaulettes above gold rank braid, on the greatcoat, when mess dress or full dress was worn. They are pre war, from the late 30s they were replaced by bullion eagles instead.

The plain eagle is a standard Ludlow badge, but missing its crown, backing plate and screw fixings. Saying that, the eagle alone, without crown, was worn on the collars of Volunteer Aid Detachment nurses attached to the RAF, and doormen at the Air Ministry and other similar buildings.
Old 09-07-12, 05:18 AM

Many thanks gents will copy this down and keep with them untill mounting has helped lot especially the two Eagles i thought perhaps these where recent badges 80,s-upwards cheers billy