British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-07-08, 09:57 PM

Default Winnipeg Grenadiers and Royal Rifles of Canada

Hello all, I need a little help, read advice. My badge collection focus is that of Overseas Regiments and Corps during the Second World War.

I have been going over the various mounts I have made and have realized with the help of Dwayne, that I have goofed a few up. For example I had the Elgin Regiment as 1st Armoured Bde where they should have been mounted to reflect the 1st Canadian Corps. A few others I have also miss represented, due to lack of knowledge and poor planning are now being sorted out.

This brings me to my question... What would be the correct formation for the Winnipeg Grenadiers and the Royal Rifles of Canada? These Regiments fought hard against the Japanese in Hong Kong, and I do not wish to have them represented as Reserve Units.

Please lads, I really need some guidance here.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 06-07-08, 10:37 PM

Hi Cifford, on this subject and on informations that I have the Canadian Army put together a Brigade HQ and two infantry battalions. Included in this group was the usual support units. When in HK they joined British and Indian infantry units already in theatre.
I included two links that will give you more info on the subject of canadian units.

http://www.hongkongwardiary.com/sear...dianunits.html

http://flickr.com/photos/73769018@N00/62160379

Regards
Jo
Old 06-07-08, 10:41 PM
Banned

Fact is they where reserve units elevated to active service for the deployment same as any other unit which served in Europe. I believe they would come under British far east command.

PAUL
Old 06-07-08, 11:33 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Hi pylon
I just have mine on a board under the Hong Kong patch, which I believe is a post was item, On that board I have the Ist corps under their patch the HK guys & to the left & I have the 2nd Corps & its troops to the far right. will try & get a picture of it. My camera battery is dead right now but I should have it tonight. I don't know if the British & Indian units were formed into a formation or not, If they were I imagine the Canadians would have come them. Seeing as there are lots of room on the board(because there are only 2 Regts under each sign) I have all the campaign medals & stars along the top. Ray
Old 07-07-08, 12:39 AM

According to these web sites that Jo gave you they may have come under HDQT's China Command, I have never seen a patch for that outfit but I do have a picture of the Hdqt's Land Forces Hong Kong. But I have never seen a HK soldier pictured with a formation patch. Ray

PS Jo
I havent been on the rock for some time, only been back about 6 times since 1957, too much rain & fog. Although they tell me that it has changed somewhat weatherwise in the last 50 years.
Old 07-07-08, 12:52 AM

Here it is Pylon. Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flowers 084.jpg (46.0 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-07-08, 02:44 AM

Ray, you can see the HK patch worn by Lt-Col. W.J.Home CO of the Royal Rifles,a picture taken on his return to Canada. Click on this link and go to page 17.
Jo

Also, where are you nowadays?

http://www.wlu.ca/lcmsds/cmh/back%20...ber%201941.pdf
Old 07-07-08, 09:56 AM
Banned

Here is a patch and reunion pin from an estate I purchased
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hk.jpg (15.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-07-08, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Ray, In your frame you have a post war 12 Dragoon flash. The one you want for the wartime issue is the pattern with the 12 over Manitoba Dragoons.
Nice PEILH flash. Scarcer than hen's teeth.
Old 07-07-08, 11:24 AM

Default Lorne Scots

...might also be post war. No serifs.

Dwayne
Old 07-07-08, 12:51 PM

Yes Bill I'm too lazy to take it down, As you alreadd know I do have the 3 line title, and Dwyane I think you are right I never bothered with the other one. Maybe I'll put up the canvas one.
And Jo,I'm in a little place called Varney Ont. Left Toronto when I retired. I used to display them at one time around the malls during the wek of Nov 11th, The Legion maintained security there and Eatons locked up. (never lost a thing) but I noticed no one knew the difference between a wartime title & a post war one not even Vet's but they sure enjoyed the display.
Three messages in one here,I'm saving so e space
Old 07-07-08, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the replies lads. I was thinking about using the patch colour of "C" Force but I can not find anything on this patch. One may not have been used.

Ray, nice looking display. I have done mine with the appropriate colour backing for each one. Each Regiment is mounted on a 4X4 1/2 inch cardboard.

The 1st Div badges are all on red backing, 2nd Div on Blue, and so on. I would really like to maintain this style for conformity.

Old 07-07-08, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Cliff, No, there is no known patch for "C" Force, but there is the HK patch issued to survivors.
Old 07-07-08, 02:01 PM

Hi Ray, so hopefully will see you at the next Etobicoke show?.
Cheers
Jo
Old 07-07-08, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hey Cliff, No, there is no known patch for "C" Force, but there is the HK patch issued to survivors.
Thanks for that Bill. I was aware of the Hong Kong Patch issued to the survivors, however with in the scope of my backgrounds, this would be impossible to duplicate. I may just go with an 'eye appealing" colour instead.

Jo when is the next Etobicoke show? I am planning to attend Carl's show in Orillia on the 20th July but as usual lately, there may be some last minute change to my plans.