British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-05-12, 03:32 PM

Default para wing & pegasus patches opinions please

I picked these up today for not a lot of money and I wondered if others think they are good. The wings both seem to be originals, though I have not seen the blue backed type before, though I think I saw a set on Ebay recently, whilst I know nothing about Pegasus patches.

Any thoughts on originality and dating would be great fully appreciated.

Thanks for any help and opinions,

Regards, Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue wings front small.jpg (61.9 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg blue wings reverse small.jpg (58.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg para wings front small.jpg (55.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg para wings reverse small.jpg (64.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg pegasus front small.jpg (49.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg pegasus reverse small.jpg (64.5 KB, 58 views)
Old 16-05-12, 04:31 PM

Not my field as such but, sorry wing not WWII and Pegasus with its unicorn is also a known reproduction
Old 16-05-12, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly View Post
Not my field as such but, sorry wing not WWII and Pegasus with its unicorn is also a known reproduction
I have been searching threads and had concluded that the Pegasus patch was a copy.

The wings being post war is not a problem, just wanted to know if they were originals or copies?

I am sure I'll get there with these, just need to keep doing the research and getting opinions from those with the knowledge.

Jerry
Old 16-05-12, 09:34 PM
Banned

The khaki wings I'd agree are relatively recent, although the blue ones are early. Very similar to wartime, the blue-grey were RAF although it seems they wore khaki too during the war, the blue coming in soon after.
Old 17-05-12, 05:27 PM

Jerry, I hope you didn't throw the Pegasus away!

The First wing is RAF Regiment No.2 Sqn worn in the 80's onwards

The Second wing is standard issue variant, worn throughout my service in 5 Airborne Brigade.

The Pegasus is most certainly Belgian and could date from anytime, (without the aid of a black light to help.) Most probably 70's-80's.

There are a lot of Pegasus out there with unicorn horn, in both Printed and embroidered versions. In lots of photos. it is common and not always a sign of a fake. In way of proof The 1st Book I picked up, to find one "The Day The Devils Dropped in" has a pic on page 193 of Lt. Douglas Martin KIA in Bois des Monts wearing one on his service dress. Even the relatively modern Pegasus I wore in 5 ABN on my left sleeve, and have kept, has a horn
Old 17-05-12, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
Jerry, I hope you didn't throw the Pegasus away!

The First wing is RAF Regiment No.2 Sqn worn in the 80's onwards

The Second wing is standard issue variant, worn throughout my service in 5 Airborne Brigade.

The Pegasus is most certainly Belgian and could date from anytime, (without the aid of a black light to help.) Most probably 70's-80's.

There are a lot of Pegasus out there with unicorn horn, in both Printed and embroidered versions. In lots of photos. it is common and not always a sign of a fake. In way of proof The 1st Book I picked up, to find one "The Day The Devils Dropped in" has a pic on page 193 of Lt. Douglas Martin KIA in Bois des Monts wearing one on his service dress. Even the relatively modern Pegasus I wore in 5 ABN on my left sleeve, and have kept, has a horn
Interesting, and of course I have not chucked it away, though it does appear to be very similar to a type called a fake in old threads, and in this one by one poster.
I admit to having little knowledge on these, though I am trying to learn.

Regards,

Jerry
Old 17-05-12, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS1 View Post
The khaki wings I'd agree are relatively recent, although the blue ones are early. Very similar to wartime, the blue-grey were RAF although it seems they wore khaki too during the war, the blue coming in soon after.
Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Jerry
Old 19-05-12, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
Interesting, and of course I have not chucked it away, though it does appear to be very similar to a type called a fake in old threads, and in this one by one poster.
I admit to having little knowledge on these, though I am trying to learn.

Regards,

Jerry
I did mean it tongue in cheek!

SF/Para items are a minefield. It's hard to be specific from a photo and unless you've experience handling these patches you'd be better off avoiding them altogether. If however you must start collecting Para badges buy your first few off a well respected dealer and avoid online auctions / fairs until you know what your doing.