British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-03-12, 02:21 PM

Default AN UNGENTLEMANLY ACT

hi all,

not much on tv last night so i surfed the net as usual and found this.

its a bbc 1992 film about the argetine invasion of the falklands and the royal marines defence of goverment house.

i know there was some artistic licence in all films but as afar uniforms etc goes it pretty accurate.

i wonder if that is sc,swimmer/canoest,badge on maj normans jumper??.was he ex sbs

philip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOLS7Xo9nE4
Old 27-03-12, 05:31 PM

Absolutely superb , the brilliant Bob Peck as the major who tragically died very young ,Michael
Old 27-03-12, 07:24 PM

Philip - the film on my viewer is a bit grainy but I believe that is supposed to be the 'Kings Badge' worn on the left upper arm. Awarded to the best all round recruit of his Squad / Troop, which would mean that he originally entered the Royal Marines as a Marine and would have later become a commisioned officer, the Kings Badge is worn throughout the man's service regardless of rank. First instituted by King George V in March 1918. Personally, I don't know if Maj. Norman was actually a King's Badgeman or if the producers of this film were using a little 'artistic licence'. In my case, our King's Badgeman went on to reach the rank of Lieut. Colonel RM.
All SBS ranks have to be para - trained,there doesn't seem to be the usual para wings on his right arm.

Ritchie.
Old 27-03-12, 07:35 PM

hi ritchie,

many thanks for that.

just was not sure

philip
Old 28-03-12, 12:07 AM

Brilliant.
The first word that comes to mind whenever I think of the Falklands is "Gazzome"!!!!