British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-03-12, 01:05 AM

Default Tracking U.S. servicemen

Can anyone tell me if it is possible, and how, to obtain details of U.S. WW2 servicemen?

During the Second World War, since it was an important submarine base, there was a very large U.S. naval presence at the port close to where I live. I guess these blokes were frequently sent out into the bush for survival exercises and other training. Much of that bushland has now been converted to farmland and I have a keyring with a bit of stuff on it, locker keys, etc, including a dog tag that was ploughed up in one of the since cleared fields. It must have been lost by one of the trainees.

Through a bit of trial and error I managed to track down the fellow's family thinking they may like it back as a memento but other than telling me that the owner had passed away....only a short time prior to my call.....I got short shrift. They were not interested in my gift.

I am now thinking of offering it to the local museum as part of their history but before doing so I would like to try to find out a bit about the chap's role.

I have contacted a number of sources. Sometimes I get a reply but I guess that my computing skills are not that good and I keep coming up against blank walls.

Any suggestions.

Donny B.
Old 21-03-12, 02:20 AM

Hi Donny,

I'm assuming you are in Australia. Your dog tag should have a service number. Two things you can try off the top of my head. First the US National Archives. Try the Veteran's Service Records and the research military records. The service number may be helpful. Don't assume this person was in the US Navy. The second place is the Library of Congress. You want the Veteran's History Project. He may have left a record. If the tag has a number post it and I'll see if I can do anything with it.

Don
Old 21-03-12, 02:53 AM

G'day Don,

Yes! I am in Australia.

Thanks for the tips I shall give them a try but I think they are a couple of the ones that I had difficulty manoeuvring through before. In the meantime the disc has the following details stamped on it.

Joseph
William
Dockray
710-13-41
USNR-A
T/4-43 Jan

I gather that he was in the US Naval Reserve and the A indicates that he had been activated for active service. Is that correct?

There is half a star on the ring with the number 98 on it but that might be just a locker number because the keys all look as though they are probably locker keys.

As I indicated earlier, these were ploughed up in an area about eighty miles from the coast where exercises had been conducted in a (then) bushland area. Joseph may not have done anything interesting and likely was not one of the submariners but at least he was over here...then.

Donny B.
Old 21-03-12, 03:43 AM

Hi again,

Is your tag oval or rectangular? US Navy tags were oval. The first 3 lines are his name. Line 4 is his serial number, issued, I assume in 1941. Line 5 - US Navy Reserve, the A should have been his blood type. Line 6 T/4-43 was the date of his last tetanus shot. The Jan has me stumped. It should be his religious preference but I have no idea what "Jan" would refer to. As far as his record is concerned you might try the records depository in St. Louis. This takes a while.

Good luck,

Don
Old 21-03-12, 04:11 AM

G'day again Don,

Thanks for all that information. I see that my guess about the USNR-A was a bit off target, but that is why we ask others who know, isnt it.

The tag is oval shaped with a hole at each end. It is made from aluminium.

I shall try that records depository address that you gave this evening when I have a bit more time.

Thanks.

Donny B.
Old 21-03-12, 12:08 PM

G'day again Don,

I have wandered through that Records Depostory site that you suggested. Quite a task! I have emailed them and will now sit back.....perhaps ten days for a reply, they say.... and see what they have to offer.....hopefully. If I am required to complete one of their Standard Form 180s all will be lost, I fear.

Donny B.
Old 21-03-12, 02:07 PM

Default Another Research Avenue

Donny,

I should have warned you about the form SF 180. There may be another way to find information about this individual. At the end of WWII a copy of each service member's service record was to be filed with the Veteran's Affairs Office located in the county the serviceman returned to after discharge. It didn't always work out but did most of the time. If you know where this individual came from you have a chance. Here is a link to get you started. I don't know for certain what information was included on this form but I would think it would include unit(s) of assignment. The shape and 2 holes on your tag are correct for US Navy during WWII.

Good Luck,

Don
Old 22-03-12, 08:29 AM

Thanks for all your help, Don. I really appreciate the time that you have taken to find these leads but I'm starting to think that I'm shoveling it uphill.

I suspect that the fellow I am chasing was in Mass. (Shan't try to spell the rest of it). When I went to Veteran's Affairs for that area, through the link that you gave me, it seemed that it was very likely that they had some information there that I could retrieve if I was with an official department and had the appropriate access code or if I was the veteran or the veteran's next of kin. It seems that all other applicants seeking to retrieve any details should use the SF180.....unless I read it all very wrong.

I shall keep plugging away. I will get through somehow.

Donny B.