British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-03-12, 03:39 PM

Default A Question for the Moderators.....

Good Morning Gentlemen......

On a sister forum, British Medal Forum, they have a category called:

http://www.britishmedalforum.com/vie...8e9c6623b79757

with a sub category of:

http://www.britishmedalforum.com/vie...hp?f=40&t=3293

This is a list of Dealsers with their email addy's and web sites......

I was wondering if there could be a Category set uo on this fourm doing the same.....

I have looked for one but not been able to find it except for the odd reference.....

Thanks in advance.....

Mike
Want's anything named Clare or Cherer
Old 05-03-12, 06:15 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Mike,

We used to have a recommended dealers list which had the makings of being a decent reference site but because of disagreements between one or two members, myself being one, it caused too much grief for Mike, the site owner and it was too uncomfortable to handle, so it was deleted, that's a brief and I think a fair explanation anyway.

Dave.

Last edited by davec2; 06-03-12 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-03-12, 06:16 PM

I believe there used to be a set of dealer links associated with this Forum but they were taken down as there were comments being made about the dealers which could have put the Forum in jeopardy.... therefore you have to find these links for yourself and save them to your own favorites list...
Old 05-03-12, 07:08 PM

Dave,

Would you be willing to put together a list of dealers who you believe are of good character, i.e. you would buy from, and, if there is no objection from the powers that be, be willing to share your list via private messaging with those requesting? Anyone requesting such a list should realize that, just as Abraham Lincoln noted, "you can fool all of the people some of the time", and that there is no ironclad guarantee that an honest difference of opinion won't happen as to a badge's authenticity. Just a thought for a sunny Monday. I too miss the dealer's list.

Don
Old 05-03-12, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilationtcornpone View Post
Dave,

Would you be willing to put together a list of dealers who you believe are of good character, i.e. you would buy from, and, if there is no objection from the powers that be, be willing to share your list via private messaging with those requesting? Anyone requesting such a list should realize that, just as Abraham Lincoln noted, "you can fool all of the people some of the time", and that there is no ironclad guarantee that an honest difference of opinion won't happen as to a badge's authenticity. Just a thought for a sunny Monday. I too miss the dealer's list.

Don
Hi Don,

Hope you are well ?

I think, for several reasons, that I would not be a suitable person to formulate such a list, this isn't a " cop out ", I really am too inexperienced to know the good from the bad, apart from the blatantly obvious of course !!

' jim a ' has hit the nail on the head because during the time the list was being created, quite a few members were offering their suggestions, so, at that time a sort of ' ghost list ' appeared in various threads and this is where your patience is tested........ they can be found but oh what a search it would be

Good luck my friend ???

Dave.
Old 05-03-12, 10:01 PM

Hi Dave,

After thinking about this after posting the above I have to agree with you. Even with the best of intentions neither you or I have any control over The Acme British Badge Company, or any other establishment. Our litigation crazed world has forced us to fend for ourselves and hope for the best. The best advise I could offer anyone is to search on "British cap badge" and then check out the results and then ask questions here if opinions are sought.

I am well. Thank you. I trust you are also. The geese are passing over head on their way to Canada. They are most likely looking for a few good dealers.

Don
Old 06-03-12, 10:42 AM
Administrator

The reason the medal forum can get away with a dealer list and we can't is the volume of fake badges on the market compared to medals.
It became apparent that if you wait long enough you could find something on any dealers list to demonstrate their lack of integrity should you wish too. (and then have a 6 page argument about it on here)

I think our best route is to reveal the badge for what it is rather than the seller. The badges are with us permanently, yet sellers come and go.
Old 06-03-12, 10:50 AM

Far better put than my attempt Mike,

You obviously have have a higher level of Diplomacy skills than I ??

Dave.