British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-03-12, 04:12 PM

Default RAF Fire Crash Rescue Service cap badge

Hi all, can anyone tell me (authoratively) who exactly would have/does were the cap badge in the image?

On the various occassions when I have come accross RAF service fire fighters the only cap badge I have seen them wear is the standard RAF adonised beret badge and bullion badge on the peaked cap!

Civilian contract firefighters such Babcocks, Serco and previously Hunter all had their own cap badge of a star with a light blue disk with the company name on.

The only other fire service personnel I have seen on RAF bases were MOD Fire & Rescue Service firefighters who have their own MOD badge and themselve were originally made up from the civilian Air Force Department Fire Service and the Air Ministry Fire Service, who's cap badges I am quite familiar with.

I have seen a version of the RAF Fire Crash Rescue Service cap badge with a Queens Crown also! So is there anyone on this forum who served with the RAF Fire Crash Rescue Service or was associated with them/worked alongside them and can give a definate answer as to who, where or when the said cap badge was/is worn?

Regards Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAF Fire Crash Rescue cap badge.jpg (42.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-03-12, 04:41 PM

The crowned version of this badge is worn by members of the RAF DFRS Association when they are present on parades.

Phil
Old 04-03-12, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Hi all, can anyone tell me (authoratively) who exactly would have/does were the cap badge in the image?

On the various occassions when I have come accross RAF service fire fighters the only cap badge I have seen them wear is the standard RAF adonised beret badge and bullion badge on the peaked cap!

Civilian contract firefighters such Babcocks, Serco and previously Hunter all had their own cap badge of a star with a light blue disk with the company name on.

The only other fire service personnel I have seen on RAF bases were MOD Fire & Rescue Service firefighters who have their own MOD badge and themselve were originally made up from the civilian Air Force Department Fire Service and the Air Ministry Fire Service, who's cap badges I am quite familiar with.

I have seen a version of the RAF Fire Crash Rescue Service cap badge with a Queens Crown also! So is there anyone on this forum who served with the RAF Fire Crash Rescue Service or was associated with them/worked alongside them and can give a definate answer as to who, where or when the said cap badge was/is worn?

Regards Tony
HI mate,
I dont know but I have cap and collars in my collection!, also this picture was taken in the early 1990's on the drivers door of a RAF 6 wheel drive range rover that was used for fire fighting!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010046.jpg (61.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-03-12, 12:10 AM

hi tony,

did you know the raf fire teams used to wear raf regt mudguards up to about 1976.

so a raf mudguard with some raf firefighter badges is acceptale

i found this out by mistake in 1970 when i followed a cpl with raf regt mudguards at the depot,catterick,and someone asked if i was joining the firefighting section.

when i said i was joining the regiment i was told,politely !!!,where the pebble momkeys went

philip