British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-11-11, 03:23 PM

Default TV programme

While I was over in England I just noticed a promotion for a new TV show starring David Jason, in which he plays an Army officer in charge of royal security (thought that was actually Scotland Yard). The picture shows him wearing a Guards officer's forage cap with a Coldstream Guards Warrant Officer's cap star, No.1 Dress (Blues) with single button arrangement, and rank badges on his shoulder straps (unclear whether an arrangement of pips and crown or just pips). Everything looks hopelessly wrong about it. David
Old 24-11-11, 03:27 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
While I was over in England I just noticed a promotion for a new TV show starring David Jason, in which he plays an Army officer in charge of royal security (thought that was actually Scotland Yard). The picture shows him wearing a Guards officer's forage cap with a Coldstream Guards Warrant Officer's cap star, No.1 Dress (Blues) with single button arrangement, and rank badges on his shoulder straps (unclear whether an arrangement of pips and crown or just pips). Everything looks hopelessly wrong about it. David
David Jason as an army officer sounds hopelessly wrong as well.....
Old 24-11-11, 03:32 PM

He has already starred as an officer in the TV drama that was made some years ago about the Sandringham Company of The Norfolk Regiment in WW1.
Peter4447
Old 24-11-11, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter4447 View Post
He has already starred as an officer in the TV drama that was made some years ago about the Sandringham Company of The Norfolk Regiment in WW1.
Peter4447

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxQNrO9R6o4
Old 24-11-11, 03:42 PM

Isn't David Jason a bit short for a Guards Officer?

Cushty.
Old 24-11-11, 03:47 PM

The cover of the Video case of "All the Kings Men" is attached.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img001.jpg (70.6 KB, 22 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 24-11-11, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Isn't David Jason a bit short for a Guards Officer?

Cushty.
I believe that there are no height restrictions for Guards officers, just the ORs.
Old 24-11-11, 04:22 PM

I may be wrong but I thought when actors appear in uniform for anything but documentary films of the real thing, then their uniforms, button arrangements, badges etc, are deliberately inaccurate and at times quite improbable.

Last edited by johnG; 24-11-11 at 04:29 PM.
Old 24-11-11, 08:48 PM

I think you may be right on that. Back when I was at school they did a play called "Sergeant Musgrave's Dance" which featured some dragoons. I remember surreptiously trying on one of the helmets that had been left lying around in the library. I noticed that the uniforms had all different buttons. They had been hired from a big London theatrical costumiers. I seem to recall someone saying that it was illegal to put all the right buttons and badges on uniforms (applies to police as well) in case it was misconstrued that the wearer might be impersonating a soldier/sailor/airman/policeman. So where does that leave re-enactors? While the badges and uniforms are very often replicas they are usually complete in detail and in some cases could be taken for the real thing. David
Old 24-11-11, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
So where does that leave re-enactors?
Most re-enactors I've seen, there would be no mistaking them for real soldiers.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 24-11-11, 09:12 PM

You raise some very interesting points David.

Regards,

John
Old 24-11-11, 10:11 PM

Uniform Act 1894 Chapter 45 57 and 58 vict

This is an act of parliament designed to regulate and restrict the wearing of Naval and Military Uniforms.
Military Uniforms cannot to be worn without Authority
It is illegal for any person not serving in Her Majesty’s Military Forces to wear without Her Majesty’s permission the uniform of any of those forces, or any dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of any such uniform
Exceptions
• Any persons from wearing any uniform or dress in the course of a stage play performed in a place duly licensed or authorised for the public performance of stage plays.
• In the course of a music hall or circus performance.
• In the course of any bona fide military representation.
Penalties
Penalty for bringing contempt on uniform
If anyone not serving in Her Majesty’s Naval or Military Forces wears without Her Majesty’s permission the uniform of any of those forces, or any dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of any such uniform, in such a manner or under such circumstances as to be likely to bring contempt upon that uniform, or employs any other person so to wear that uniform or dress, he shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale, or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one month.
Old 25-11-11, 09:32 AM

David Jason plays Captain Roy Hubble in The Royal Bodyguard, an upcoming BBC Comedy series. Here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...Bodyguard.html

Uniforms - Lord only knows - but I don't think anybody tries to get them wrong - that just comes naturally.

Eddie

Last edited by Eddie Parks; 25-11-11 at 09:38 AM.
Old 25-11-11, 10:32 AM

I have known many a Guards officer in my time and none of them would be seen in the blazer/grey slacks/white shirt rig... that is more a NCO thing.. (Is he supposed to have been a commissioned QM, perhaps?) And the Blazer badge looks more like the Brigade than a single regiment.
Old 25-11-11, 11:07 AM
Mr. Jackanory

I remember about twenty years ago that a model was dressed as a Guards officer in full scarlett tunic for a photo shoot in Regents park or some such place in London. Having attracted much attention for his garb he decided to wander through parts of london and received further attention until someone reported him, I believe because his hair was too long! he was had up before the magistrates, however, I cannot remember the exact sentence or the year but it did make the Daily Telegraph.