British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-05-08, 03:08 AM

Default Carleton and York Officers Badges

Hi all, I was hoping to get the collective opinion of 3 Carleton and York Regiment badges I have in my collection. The first one is the common brass one-piece ORs version. The second is obviously an officers issue, fire gilted, silver overlay, flat backed and marked Scully Ltd, Montreal. The third is the reason for this post. It is bi-metal, brass, slightly vaulted. It was sold to me as an officers issue. I am somewhat dubious as to this but the price was OK so I picked it up.

Based on the pics, what are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carl1.jpg (31.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg carl2-1.jpg (48.3 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg carl3.jpg (38.1 KB, 82 views)
Old 26-05-08, 12:35 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

It seems slightly smaller Greg but I can't find anything else wrong. maybe a younger eye. Obviously a different striking but all in all flawless, being a different die or a retooled die it would be different anyway. Ray

PS. Perhaps a fairer comparison would be to compare it with the OR badge,disregarding the overlay of course. I can see where the base of the tail is different but a different die would account for that.

Last edited by boots and saddles; 26-05-08 at 04:38 PM.
Old 27-05-08, 01:39 AM

Default Carleton and York Officers Badges

I always thought the bimetal badge was a post-Second World War version of the ORs badge. Different die of course.
Wyn
Old 27-05-08, 01:56 AM

My supervisor(when & where I worked) Told me that there was a bimetal C7Y during the war, he didn't say however that it was an officers badge, He was a signaler with the Carleton & York. Ray
Old 27-05-08, 02:15 AM

I think Wyn might be right. The badge just doesn't feel like an officers issue.

G
Old 27-05-08, 03:16 PM

Hi Greg, Who knows, or what is there to prove,that all badges of a certain Regiment should be the same? I am not refering to the above badge now but any badge, the 8th NB hussars is a glaring example ,The Forestry Corps is a lesser one but the different strikings are quite obvious . My collection is an OR's collection but my Forestry Corps was such a poor striking that I got rid of it & put up an officers badge, I recently got an OR version that was a very good example,very deep striking, So I exchanged my officers badge for it,Item # 280228914026 on auction now is somewhere in between. Todays thread by Peter 616 is a good example. I have seen many different strikings over the years and they varied in dept more than pattern and looked quite different, Is some of THAT what we are looking at today, Real badge collecting didn't start until well after the war was over, & the interest of today didn't exist prior to that. Some people accumulated a few badges but not with the skill that exists today, It would be nice to know what was around at that time,and some of it has come to light in the past 30 years. I'm sure other collectors have noticed. Sometimes of course we are too free with our assumptions,They are OK if we remember that that's what they are, opinions. The trouble is usually in the retelling of them & not the giving. Ray

Last edited by boots and saddles; 27-05-08 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-03-12, 01:41 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I have just received a bimetal Carleton and York courtesy of 2747andy.
It has the sweat holes on the back. These seem to be found mainly on British made badges. I cannot recall ever seeing sweat holes on Canadian made badges. Given the smaller size of the badge and the sweat holes, is it likely to be a British made badge?
Wyn suggests that it is a post war badge, but I am wondering if it was a quick and cheap officers' badge procured during the war.
Any other thoughts?

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 08-03-12, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

The C & Y did not have their regimental metal cap badges when mobilized. They were apparently wearing the badges of the amalgamated units, the Carleton Light Inf and the York Regt. They were authorized to acquire an order of the approved C & Y pattern from British sources in early 1940. Phil, your badge may be one from that order.
Any chance of some images?
Old 06-05-13, 12:17 AM

Here are front and back shots of the badge.
H: 41mm (point of top point slightly bent.
W: 46mm

I only just noticed that the tail portion of the overlay is missing.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CYregtObv.jpg (105.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg CYRegtRev.jpg (68.3 KB, 20 views)

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 06-05-13, 01:29 PM

Hi Phil, I think in Chris Brookers new book he identifies the bimetal badge as the UK produced first issue. The mono-metal is the 2nd issue (simplified) and the officers is the flat-backed frosted gilt and silver.

I checked the books and see that the Carleton and York Regiment is probably in Volume 3 which has not be released yet so I'm thinking that my surmising is based on a recent auction from Chris.

Greg