British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-05-08, 07:13 AM

Default Gurkha Parachute Regiment In Anodised Aluminium

Hi Guys,

Does anyone out there have one of these in their collection?

I'm trying to confirm that although made form aluminium they were in fact chromed instead of being anodised.

Many Thanks

Chris
Old 22-05-08, 08:48 AM
Badge Guru

I can buy one tomorrow if you like, they are only 8 pounds.

The one I saw was on a circular brass backing bacling plate and was anodised.

Are you, like me, suspecting that there are repros of these?
Old 22-05-08, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
I can buy one tomorrow if you like, they are only 8 pounds.

The one I saw was on a circular brass backing bacling plate and was anodised.

Are you, like me, suspecting that there are repros of these?
Hi Jibba Jabba,

Gee, I would like one at that price.

No, would be surprised it they were fakes I just want to ensure that an anodised aluminium variation exists.

Will PM you re: possible purchase.

Regards

Chris
Old 22-05-08, 10:30 AM
Badge Guru

The question is are they good or bad? Perhaps one of the forum Gurkha badge collectors can help....not my field?

Old 22-05-08, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
The question is are they good or bad? Perhaps one of the forum Gurkha badge collectors can help....not my field?

Hi Jibba,

We will never know until we get them 'in hand' and look at the back of them.

If someone has recently tooled up this package, marketing it and selling it for 8 pounds and then they wont be making much so I suspect it's good BUT, photos especially of this size and definition will never tell us anything.

If the badge is hollowback I would drop it as genuine badges of this size are invariable of a full and solid construction. Hollowback anodised aluminium badges are found in the larger Scottish types.

I'm game for 8 quid!!!

Regards

Chris
Old 22-05-08, 11:05 AM
Badge Guru

I remember the size of the badge was very small, I would guess at about 20 mm in diameter, as for hollow back I very much doubt it. the above badge is just regular anodised.
Old 22-05-08, 02:13 PM

hi guys,
indeed I can help. You see these badges all the time on E bay with all sorts of rubbish written about them. All are repro.

This design was approved for wear by the Gurkha Independent Parachute company in the mid 60's. A very small trial batch ( about 50) was in fact made in chromed metal.
Reservations were felt about the badge being easily broken where the point of the chute joins the crossed kukris, but as it turned out events over took them.
Permission was given by HM the Queen for the unit to affiliate to the Parachute Regt.
This proposed badge was dropped without being worn and they took into use the parachute regt badge, worn on a rifle green backing with two vertical strips of gurkha brigade ribbon. All on the maroon beret until disbanded

The batch of prototypes were given in later years to be sold thro the museum shop. When these sold out, a further batch were purchased from Firmin's. The further orders were stamped on the rear with the word 'copy' in very small font.

So unless you were one of the very lucky few to purchase one from the shop some years ago, sorry they are all fake.

Steve
Old 22-05-08, 04:09 PM
Badge Guru

Thank you again for you most informative reply Steve.

When you say chromed metal do you know if they they brass, nickel or Aluminium under the chrome?
Old 22-05-08, 04:40 PM

I dont know as I have never thought about that, as the chances of ever getting one of the originals is so remote. I Will make a couple of phone calls to see if I can find out.

Steve
Old 22-05-08, 05:00 PM

Gurkha Parachute Company, the badge is aa, two types of backing.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:28 PM.
Old 22-05-08, 06:30 PM

Everyone ive seen has been chromed metal,square lugs on the back and on a circular brass back plate.Ive seen the museum copy and they are definately stamped "copy".
It states in Gaylor exactly what Gurkha said in his earlier post.If i saw an a/a version id probaly buy it as long as it was reasonably priced but id say it was a copy when asked.
Old 22-05-08, 07:25 PM

I have a copy in my display just to complete the set, but it is clearly labelled as such.

Steve
Old 22-05-08, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
hi guys,
indeed I can help. You see these badges all the time on E bay with all sorts of rubbish written about them. All are repro.

This design was approved for wear by the Gurkha Independent Parachute company in the mid 60's. A very small trial batch ( about 50) was in fact made in chromed metal.
Reservations were felt about the badge being easily broken where the point of the chute joins the crossed kukris, but as it turned out events over took them.
Permission was given by HM the Queen for the unit to affiliate to the Parachute Regt.
This proposed badge was dropped without being worn and they took into use the parachute regt badge, worn on a rifle green backing with two vertical strips of gurkha brigade ribbon. All on the maroon beret until disbanded

The batch of prototypes were given in later years to be sold thro the museum shop. When these sold out, a further batch were purchased from Firmin's. The further orders were stamped on the rear with the word 'copy' in very small font.

So unless you were one of the very lucky few to purchase one from the shop some years ago, sorry they are all fake.

Steve
Thanks Steve,

That has certainly saved me some money.

Regards

Chris
Old 22-07-11, 11:28 AM

Just saw this on a certain website.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Gurkha-...item1e6543aabd

Clearly can't be AA, but it says the Gurkha Parachute Company badge is "Not a copy", so perhaps it may be of interest to some of the contributors to this old thread.
Old 22-07-11, 05:50 PM

I have had some very good badges from this dealer. But I have to disagree with him on this, unless he can tell me it came from John Cross or John Chapple themselves. If it was without doubt pukka, would it not be listed in its own right ?

regards